Rich2012:
On a single carriageway the national speed limit is 50mph for vehicles over 7.5t.
If I’m on a single carriageway and the sign says 50mph, do I have to travel at 40mph.

Some people keeps saying that the speed limit change only applied to the national speed limit sign

In England and Wales if the sign says 50 you can drive at 50mph in a HGV.

In Scotland the HGV limit hasn’t changed so it’s still 40mph on single carriageway roads.

It’s a national speed limit not a speed limit for roads that are signposted for the “national speed limit”.
Hope that makes sense :confused: :slight_smile:

That’s what I thort then I was reading something on a different forum where people where arguing that the increase in the national speed limit from 40 to 50 only applied when the national speed limit sign was shown and not when the 50 sign was shown

Rich2012:
That’s what I thort then I was reading something on a different forum where people where arguing that the increase in the national speed limit from 40 to 50 only applied when the national speed limit sign was shown and not when the 50 sign was shown

Love to have a peek at that forum - PM me if you like with it

The 40 signs for HGV in Scotland have multiplied, especially on the popular ferry routes [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always thought a posted numerical speed limit e.g. 50mph meant 50mph for all traffic, and that only in signed NSL sections did the National Speed Limit apply which is different for different vehicle types.