Current job & hours advice needed please

Hi guys from the not so sunny Isle of skye.

Sorry for yet another post about hours but this one’s kind of unique to me I think.

So i recently passed my class 2 and want to get out driving as soon as possible. Now I knows it’s fairly difficult to get a full time driving job with a company as a complete new start to the industry. So my plan was to keep working where I am now and do agency work on my days off to get time out on the road ect.

I currently work at sea doing 11 days on 3 days off. Over the 17 week period it works out at an average of 45hours a week. For this job I have signed the opt out agreement for the 48hr so I can go over. Now I know I need to be careful with my hours because that only leaves me one 8hr day each time I’m off if I’m right? Or 16hr every 2nd time I’m off. But how does weekly rest work into this? Am I not able to do the driving for agency if I work that shift pattern at my current job because I work through every second weekend its not like I’m taking a reduced daily rest. For my current job that’s fine because I’ve signed that bit of paper but I know u can’t do that for the hgv side of things.

Hopefully I’ve explained that and can get an answer from somebody please?

Thanks robaidh

Forget WTD hours because your sea job is under normal WTD and any driving LGVs is under driver WTD
The two do not get added together so no issues with WTD :smiley:

Work at sea cannot count as rest for the EU regs - keep a diary of the days you work at sea
On your 3 days off you can easily drive for one of them every time and two of them every other time

PASSING C.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

So do the hours I work at sea not affect my hours while working as a hgv driver and their tottaly separate or have I miss interpreted your reply?

Robaidh:
Thanks for your reply.

So do the hours I work at sea not affect my hours while working as a hgv driver and their tottaly separate or have I miss interpreted your reply?

WTD hours are seperate
EU driver regs are affect as the sea hours cannot be counted as rest

ROG:

Robaidh:
Thanks for your reply.

WTD hours are seperate
EU driver regs are affect as the sea hours cannot be counted as rest

Okay thanks for clarifying that for me. The two sets of hours are bloody confusing haha.

Robaidh:
But how does weekly rest work into this? Am I not able to do the driving for agency if I work that shift pattern at my current job because I work through every second weekend its not like I’m taking a reduced daily rest. For my current job that’s fine because I’ve signed that bit of paper but I know u can’t do that for the hgv side of things.

Working 11 on and 3 off you will need to be careful about having your weekly rest periods when HGV driving.

In any week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any other work done in the same fixed week counts as other work for the EU regulations and should be recorded as such.

It sounds like you may be able to sometimes legally work 2 of your 3 days off driving, without knowing your exact work pattern it’s hard to say how often you could do this (legally).

As has been said you don’t need to worry about the WTD average hours, it’s your daily/weekly rest periods in weeks that you drive HGVs that you need to keep an eye on if you want to stay legal.

In weeks that they’re required the records for you usual job can be written in a notebook/diary, legally they should be written on charts or printouts but the DVSA will accept a notebook record, only start and finish time need to be recorded for those records.

tachograph:

Robaidh:
But how does weekly rest work into this? Am I not able to do the driving for agency if I work that shift pattern at my current job because I work through every second weekend its not like I’m taking a reduced daily rest. For my current job that’s fine because I’ve signed that bit of paper but I know u can’t do that for the hgv side of things.

Working 11 on and 3 off you will need to be careful about having your weekly rest periods when HGV driving.

In any week (00:00 Monday to 24:00 Sunday) that you drive in-scope of EU regulations any other work done in the same fixed week counts as other work for the EU regulations and should be recorded as such.

It sounds like you may be able to sometimes legally work 2 of your 3 days off driving, without knowing your exact work pattern it’s hard to say how often you could do this (legally).

As has been said you don’t need to worry about the WTD average hours, it’s your daily/weekly rest periods in weeks that you drive HGVs that you need to keep an eye on if you want to stay legal.

In weeks that they’re required the records for you usual job can be written in a notebook/diary, legally they should be written on charts or printouts but the DVSA will accept a notebook record, only start and finish time need to be recorded for those records.

Thanks for your reply. I’d only be looking to work 1 out of the 3 days each time I’m off or 2 out of the 3 days every second time.

I clock in at 8am and clock out at 5 pm. I’m paid for the full 9 hours but I take a 1 hour lunch break. So I’m only working for a total of 8hrs a day. I start my shift Monday morning and work through to a week Thursday and have the Friday to Sunday off and back to work Monday morning.

Robaidh:
Thanks for your reply. I’d only be looking to work 1 out of the 3 days each time I’m off or 2 out of the 3 days every second time.

I clock in at 8am and clock out at 5 pm. I’m paid for the full 9 hours but I take a 1 hour lunch break. So I’m only working for a total of 8hrs a day. I start my shift Monday morning and work through to a week Thursday and have the Friday to Sunday off and back to work Monday morning.

One day out of the Friday or Saturday every time you have three days off is no problem at-all.

I’ll have another look when I have more time but I think you could work Friday and Saturday each time you have three days off if you wanted to.

Thanks for the advice guys.