Redundancy - change of career

Evening all.

I have been reading a few topics on here recently and this is my first post.

I have worked in an office environment for a bank for the last 13 years and I’m seriously considering a change in career to become a trucker. Its something I have always considered but now facing redundancy in April I see it as my opportunity to take the leap.

I do have concerns as to whether there will be work in my local area (willing to travel a reasonable distance) that will provide an adequate enough income to pay the bills etc.

So I guess the question is, is it reasonable to expect to be able to pick up a class 1 job on approx 30k within the first year? I live near Bridgend in South Wales so hoping that living on the M4 corridor and having Cardiff, Swansea and Newport near by will help to give more options.

I am hoping to do all the training and obtain a class 1 licence prior to my end date with my current job so I can get started straight away.

Thanks for reading.
Gareth.

I think you would be very lucky to get a full time perm job as a new driver - more likely to be on agency without regular full time work but you might get lucky if you are very proactive and personally hand CVs to TMs with your work gear in your boot especially very early on Monday mornings

There is also the slow period for drivers starting after xmas to consider

Remember to check out the link in my signature below :bulb:

As ROG has intimated, it’s a bit like the luck of the draw. But the more effort you put in to getting work, the more luck you’re likely to have!

As for your training, you may want to consider our Residential course which is very popular with Trucknet users. And keep your eyes open later today for our Open Day offers which can be arranged on the phone for those who would find a physical visit difficult. Major savings to be had.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Cheers Rog, I have had a look at some of the stuff in your link which I have found useful. Currently working through some theory material getting familiar with it all.

Peter Smythe:
As ROG has intimated, it’s a bit like the luck of the draw. But the more effort you put in to getting work, the more luck you’re likely to have!

As for your training, you may want to consider our Residential course which is very popular with Trucknet users. And keep your eyes open later today for our Open Day offers which can be arranged on the phone for those who would find a physical visit difficult. Major savings to be had.

Good luck with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Pete, I am definitely considering the residential course, even with the distance I’d have to travel. I’m awaiting my official notice of redundancy before I start booking the training as the welsh government (not sure if its just Welsh government or whether its all of the UK) will pay for my retraining once I have been served notice of redundancy. Are you able to accept payment from them do you know?

Thanks

You might get a chance of a fulltime job, but a lot do start agency these days as few companies want to insure a brand new driver with £100K worth of truck and trailer.

Just remember as a new driver you’ll get the crappiest random jobs initially until you prove yourself to be reliable so expect 4am starts with phone calls at 3am etc. Also you’ll learn a lot fast as agencies provide no training.

Jan to March isn’t a great time for agency. By the time you do your training you’d be closer to the right side of that.

30K topline might be doable but best in fulltime either working across weekends or nights. I do nights on class 1 with ADR (semi hazardous stuff) am get close-ish to that but thats 10 hours. Roughly £11.50 hour.

Fulltime jobs wise, companies like Owens are always a good bet along with Stobarts if they have a depot there. Higher payers can be more picky but if you have 2 years under your belt esp on class 1 then you have a much better chance of better jobs, just like most jobs.

Its certainly possible to make a living out of it, but just like any job where you’re starting from the bottom, you don’t always get the best jobs unless youre really lucky.

I would check regarding the training funding. It might just take you to class C or they might take you to both that and then class C+E.

G.Simmons:
I do have concerns as to whether there will be work in my local area (willing to travel a reasonable distance) that will provide an adequate enough income to pay the bills etc.

So I guess the question is, is it reasonable to expect to be able to pick up a class 1 job on approx 30k within the first year? I live near Bridgend in South Wales so hoping that living on the M4 corridor and having Cardiff, Swansea and Newport near by will help to give more options.

30miles to Newport, 50miles to Avonmouth…Many say there are better paid jobs there.
How far is reasonable to travel? Avonmouth may offer better paying work, but will take longer, and cost a bit more fuel.
And consider that as a new driver you`ll likely be knackered after a full days driving.
But, a good paying supermarket job on a reasonable shift length in Avonmouth, may be better than an average paying long shift in Newport. Look at the whole picture.

Thanks for the input and advice guys.

I have succembered to the thought of possible having to do agency work, hoping it would give enough experience to be able to get permanent work later on.

The distance I’d be willing to travel would depend ultimately on the job, if I was able to get something tramping 4 on 4 off I’d be happy to travel to Avonmouth, but it’s certainly not a daily commute. I am very determined and committed to find something and making it work, even if I have to take a lower salary and subserdise it with the redundancy money for a while.

Again thanks for the advice, hopefully I’ll be chatting to you all again soon as a driver.

Travelling can be the killer if its not tramping. I do 30 miles each way so an hour x 2, and that can be fun after a 15 hour day. Wouldn’t recommend doing more for a daily commute (been there, done it, hated it).

Not too sure how many agency tramping jobs there will be for a new driver, but should be plenty around that area for daily.

Whether you do class 2 for a while then class 1 or straight from 2 to 1 is another thing to consider. Class 1 has more options with agencies but is harder when jumping from a car to HGVs.

Owens seem to state they will consider new pass drivers. Pay not as good though as the other side of the Severn.

owensgroup.uk/og/index.php? … Itemid=130

Looking at that place, it seems they have a night driver position for £11 hour at Newport. That particular one will have gone but looks like they might be an option for that area. Not brilliant money but not that far off a lot of jobs.

app.bidrecruit.io/shared/job/hg … iver-T8bd/