Changing from driving a desk to a lorry

Hi all. My first post after lurking on here for a while.

Brief background: I was made redundant earlier this year after quite a few years in an office job. Since that happened, I’ve consciously stayed away from applying for jobs in my previous field as I’m adamant that being behind a desk and dealing with office politics isn’t really doing me any good.

In the time since leaving work I’ve done some casual driving work for a relative who owns a farm. This has mainly involved deliveries in LWB refrigerated Sprinter vans, as well as some tractor and trailer/tipper driving both on and off-road. I’ve decided I enjoy being out and about driving things rather than stuck behind a desk. It probably helps that I also love driving (pretty much anything) and have often thought about a career doing it, but haven’t ever made a leap. There’ll be a drop in wages, but having re-assessed what’s important, that’s falling down my list of priorities.

I don’t think there are any logistics companies out there looking for trainee class 1/2 drivers, especially 40-yr old career changers used to wearing a suit and tie. With that in mind, I’ll probably be self-funding and then knocking on some doors once I have my licence.

I passed my car test in '96 and therefore have the C1 and C1+E entitlement on my licence. So my next steps appear to be;

1. Organise a medical and send off form D4 to the DVLA (these guys are close and on the recommended list in ROG’s tips thread: driversmedicals.com/Chippenham.html);
  2. Apply for provisional licence on form D2;
  3. Organise a training course for my initial driver CPC (modules 1 and 3 only because I passed my car licence prior to '97?). These guys appear to be closest wttl.co.uk/ and have fairly good reviews.
  4. How do I obtain ‘35 hrs periodic driver CPC’ (I lifted that out of the ROG thread - is that part of step 3? (or am I confused?)).

Any pointers, tips or criticism (preferably constructive) would be really appreciated!

Cheers

You can either do MODs 2 and 4 of the initial driver CPC or do 35 hours of periodic training.

I think most people would recommend the 35 hours periodic training, there’s no test to pass or fail as there is with MODs 2 and 4.

If you get the driver CPC done and get a driver tachograph card you could do some cat C1 work while waiting for the cat C training.

edit:

do I obtain ‘35 hrs periodic driver CPC’ (I lifted that out of the ROG thread - is that part of step 3?

Find a local company that does driver CPC training.

Sent from my mobile.

You can do the module 2+4 which will act as 35 hours cpc or do 35 hours in a classroom, both give you a valid cpc for 5 years. I had to do the module 2+4 because i’m under 21, the tests aren’t too difficult and i passed both first time (i was told the mod 4 pass rate is in the 90% range.) Personally given the choice i would have done the 35 hours because i’m a panic merchant when it comes to pass/fail tests. Other that that get a digicard and you’ll be set to drive 7.5 tonne, don’t think you’ll get much use out of the c1+e in the uk but you never know.

Only other thing i will say is to check what work and how much of it is available in your area, like for me there is mostly class 1 work so going straight for c+e after my cat c was the best route (i always wanted to drive class 1 anyway so that is probably the real reason :wink: ) , usually c+e opens up loads more opportunities anyway so it’s probably worthwhile obviously depending on how much you have saved to do training.

Why not knock on doors now?
What is in your area?
Have you asked yourself what you would be willing to do? eg tipper, general haulage, supermarket, garbage / recycling, containers, multi-drop, home delivery, food etc
Do you mind a lot of handball?
Do you want to be mainly driving or spending a lot of time at drops?
Day or night shift?
How many hours a week?
Early starts ok for family life etc?
Weekends?

Thanks for the useful replies.

In answer to a few of the questions:

I’m content to ‘roll my sleeves up’ in terms of the type of work - I guess to state the bleeding obvious it’ll be more a case of what is available to me as a newly qualified driver, rather than picking and choosing. I suspect I’ll be in touch with agencies to see what is available.

In the South West (Bristol/Bath/Chippenham/M4 corridor) where I am, there is a fair bit of work advertised, quite a lot of supermarket contracts I think running out of places like Avonmouth and Portbury, which are in easy striking distance. I’m open to what’s available and like I say, don’t think I’ll be able to pick and choose at first.
Ultimately there seems to be more advertising for C+E/Class 1 work so it makes sense to go for this I think. I’m also secretly excited by driving the bigger stuff. Sad, I know.
I’ve got a family so am not going to be looking at nights, but 45/50 hour weeks and occasional weekend work are ok.

No idea about the handball comment!?

Just an aside, and jumping a looooong way ahead of myself, but I see the likes of Maritime advertise for owner drivers with their own trucks to work as ‘subbies’. Anyone have experience of doing this and whether it’s advantageous financially etc.? Or is it a load of hassle and red tape etc. Obviously you have to buy your own truck which is no small matter and possibly have a different CPC?

Right, I’m off to try and sort my medical.

As an older (not too old!) driver youll be in a better position than another new LGV pass with little car or van experience, and having a solid work record should all help. (No offence to any youngsters out there: its how it is.)
Owner driver? Walk before you run of course! Maritime are always advertising for a reason, it ain`t because they have shed loads of money they want to re-distribute to owner-drivers! :smiley: It is possible to make a living as an O/D but it takes a lot of inside knowledge to see and get into what is usually a niche corner of the market. Generally work is too competitive to break into without some angle or another. If you want to spend time with your family, and be able to sleep at night, put those plans on the back burner.

handball means unloading yourself by hand.
forget matitime or any similar companies even if they supply you with a truck ect as all you will be s a busy poor man who will eventually go bust and end up working as a driver elsewhere.
if you get your class1,then dont bother with class2 as its somewhat similar to having a 10 inch ■■■■ when your misses has a 6 inch jack and danny.
go big or go home,and then you can look down your nose and sneer at lesser mortals after your in the 1 o clock gang and firmly established as a driving god. :smiley:

Interesting - I suspected there would be more to the O/D stuff than meets the eye!

Medical now booked and forms ready to go. Just browsing t’internet for training schools.

First quote I’ve had to train for Cat C and all the way through to C+E is £2750. Includes theory modules, practical courses and tests + driver CPC.

Will be looking to obtain other quotes but that’s with a local-ish outfit to me.

Not a bad price that, a tip from experience, questions below to ask prior to plunging for a Training provider.

1. Is the training individual or are you sharing training with another student?? (Mines was shared and I enjoyed the break watching the other student’s drive picking up tips as he went along).
  2. How long would you need to wait for training?
  3. If you fail your test, approximately, how long would it be for a resit?
  4. How much is the resit fee’s and what does it consist off?

I was with a very good training provider but had to wait 12 weeks for training and a further 12 weeks for a resit and if I knew I had to wait the length of time for the resit, I’m not sure whether I would have plumped for them.

Colbhoy1888:
Not a bad price that, a tip from experience, questions below to ask prior to plunging for a Training provider.

1. Is the training individual or are you sharing training with another student?? (Mines was shared and I enjoyed the break watching the other student’s drive picking up tips as he went along).

I was with a very good training provider but had to wait 12 weeks for training and a further 12 weeks for a resit and if I knew I had to wait the length of time for the resit, I’m not sure whether I would have plumped for them.

Some useful points there thanks.
I asked about the training being 1-1 or shared and apparently it’s shared but they argue it gives time to rest and also observe the road/ traffic/ other newbies’ driving. I’m certainly not averse to sharing with one other - in fact I think it might work better for me.
Training wait would depend on how quick I can get my provisional licence back, but may be able to squeeze the C course in early December, which would be great.
Q’s 3 and 4 I haven’t asked because neither had occurred to me - but will do so. Appreciate the tips, thanks!

It sounds as if your longer term aim is C+E. So, maybe go for that within a year of C. In my opinion a solid job offer in principle would be better than going through the agencies. Employers are not as averse as you might think to new drivers. The main reason for not wanting to licence fund is that you could be off within a few weeks or months. There are obviously a lot more opportunities out there than just those posted on the job boards.
It sounds like you wouldn’t be averse to a hard multidrop run. I am the same, but I suppose you have to think also about if you can see yourself doing that in ten years time. All the more reason to have C+E in your back pocket.
You do not need to think about initial driver CPC. Part 1 and 3 are just the normal tests required for class C.
You could be getting CPC modules under your belt at any time by the way. You can also order your digital tachograph card. You could potentially make use of your C1 in December when driving demand is high.

Noremac:
It sounds as if your longer term aim is C+E. So, maybe go for that within a year of C. In my opinion a solid job offer in principle would be better than going through the agencies. Employers are not as averse as you might think to new drivers. The main reason for not wanting to licence fund is that you could be off within a few weeks or months. There are obviously a lot more opportunities out there than just those posted on the job boards.
It sounds like you wouldn’t be averse to a hard multidrop run. I am the same, but I suppose you have to think also about if you can see yourself doing that in ten years time. All the more reason to have C+E in your back pocket.
You do not need to think about initial driver CPC. Part 1 and 3 are just the normal tests required for class C.
You could be getting CPC modules under your belt at any time by the way. You can also order your digital tachograph card. You could potentially make use of your C1 in December when driving demand is high.

Thanks for your reply.
So I could order a digital tacho card now?
I thought the initial driver CPC was mandatory to drive commercially?
If I get modules 1 and 3 done myself are there and recommended training materials/ books for self-study? Presumably I need to find local DVSA test centre and book in the tests asap if doing it myself rather than via a training centre.
Re C+E, perhaps that approach is sensible; to get the class 2 first and find a job, then an employer might stump up the extra to get me to Class 1 level.

Truckface:
Thanks for your reply.
So I could order a digital tacho card now?
I thought the initial driver CPC was mandatory to drive commercially?
If I get modules 1 and 3 done myself are there and recommended training materials/ books for self-study? Presumably I need to find local DVSA test centre and book in the tests asap if doing it myself rather than via a training centre.
Re C+E, perhaps that approach is sensible; to get the class 2 first and find a job, then an employer might stump up the extra to get me to Class 1 level.

I can post a full answer later if required.
You have had truck entitlement (C1) since before September 2009, so you do not need initial CPC, although you can take that route if you want.
You do not need a training centre to book multiple choice and hazard perception, just your provisional C licence.
Module 3 is the practical driving test, although perhaps it is unhelpful to think of it as a module if you are not taking the initial CPC route.
Material / tests available online or order the official books / DVD.

Colbhoy1888:

So I just found the retest fee is £180+VAT + £115 test fee and resits normally within 2 weeks. That sound about right?
I have my medical later so am going to send off D4 and D2 tomorrow to get my provisional back.