Reversing.......again!

Good morning all

I have been driving class 1 for a year now and have to say that my reversing has reached the standard of garbage. Im really not sure what to do about it. I watch and listen to all the drivers who seem to be able to do it with relative ease, but dear me its not getting easy for me.

Now, to put this into context. I get onto every bay I need to. I do this without (fingers crossed) breaking anything. I make up for skill with hyper care, including liberal use of GOAL and by driving very slowly…so I get there, but remain frustrated by a lack of adequate progress. A few weeks ago I had to do a blind side (something I avoid wherever theres and alternative option), and it took me 45 mins to get though the gate. Watching the forklift driver going off to do something else while i messed about was very embarrassing.

Whats worse is I understand the principles. I have been reversing trailers/caravans for many years so theers no “which way do I turn the wheel” quandry. I just cant seem to get used to the rate of turn. Cant seem to judge the set up positions. Backing between two trailers in a yard is a nightmare…unless of course there’s boatloads of room. I go back, watch the curve towards the hole, fight myself not to steer to much…only to see it not turn enough. Or I add just a tiny bit (in my mind) more…only to see it swing too far.

Im told I over do it, Im told, relax it’ll come… but it doesnt feel like its coming. HELP!!!

I really struggled for the first few months but if you’ve been battling for over a year then fair play to you, most would have given up by now!

Few things I learnt that helped and I’ve no idea if it will help you :

As much as you (and everyone else!) hate blindsiding you need to force yourself to do it, when you next park your trailer up if there is two spaces next to each other try and blindside in in, even if you back it in on your good side, pull back out of it again and blindside it in.

The distance between your middle wheel on a tri trailer and the back of the trailer, this is your maximum tail swing, on full lock this is how much space you have to allow, if your spinning the trailer around on maximum lock it will push the trailer backwards a bit but when lining up to a bay you can swing it round without this happening, you want to pull straight just before the back end is square to take the rest of the lock off then its a simple straight reverse.

Give yourself the maximum amount of space, even if you don’t think you need to use that much space, the least amount of angle on the trailer the easier it is to get on the bay/in the space.

The more speed you carry the easier it is, not saying you should try reversing at full whack but bring the revs up slowly, I’ve no doubt you’re snaking the trailer in rather than going more or less straight.

As mad as it sounds steer with the rear of the trailer, look at the rear wheels of the trailer and add/remove your steering input based on where the rear wheels are, the downside is you might find you leave the unit at a slight angle the first few times you try this, eventually you can straighten the unit at the last minute without effecting the trailer.

Apols if teaching Granny, but it may help one or two grasp the concept …

Good-Side Reversing

Assessing the Position
• Drive past the space / bay
• How much space (width) is there?
• Do they have guide lines?
• Is your target eg just inside a yellow line? Picture the tyres running inside that line.
• Maybe you have yellow bananas to negotiate? Sometimes the lines run (crazily) into the bananas so you have to allow for that and aim to be inside that yellow line.
• Are any neighbouring bays occupied?
• Are there units there or just trailers?
• Which eg trailer am I coming in behind? The blue one? No 1234?
• If the space is tight, or if there are units in place, this demands a steeper attack.
• You don’t want your overhang threatening any neighbouring hardware, so you try to get your trailer as straight as possible before reversing.

With some space to move about …
• Ideally you do the drive-by then sweep round 90 degrees and straighten up.
• If you’ve got your measures right you’ll be nice and straight and all you have to do is reverse in a straight line. And you picked a neighbouring trailer as your target so you know you’re on the right line.
• Select low gear for reversing if possible.
• This is reversing via the mirrors only.
• Make small adjustments in good time.
• If you want to move trailer to the right (in your mirror) then press gently up on the RHS of the steering wheel.
• Use other vehicles as a guide to docking distance – gently does it.
• If you have barn doors you may need to open them before you reverse on.
• If you are dropping the trailer, you’ll need to remove your number plate before docking.

In a yard with less space …
• You might have to drive beyond the space at 45 degrees.
• Make sure to tell everyone what you’re doing.
• Flick the cab towards your target so you can see the back end of the trailer.
• You will have gone past far enough to have it all “in front of you”.
• By this I mean you are leaning out of the window to give yourself all of the good side advantage, with a clear path to the target.
• Make sure the steering wheel is away from your body (ie your hands don’t get caught up in clothing).
• Raise the tag axle if you have one.
• Select the low reverse gear.
• Twist your body so you can transfer comfortably between pedals, lean out the window and anchor your right hand on the outside of the door.
• You’ll be steering with left hand only.
• All observations and indications made, start towards your target.
• Picture a curved line from the centre axle (or centre point) to that yellow line marking the LHS of your bay.
• Steer away from the target to “fold” the rig (articulation).
• Make small adjustments in good time. For each turn of the wheel you make (to bend it), you could undo that turn (straighten) and the trailer will still turn.
• Steer “towards the fold” to straighten it.
• Too tight on the target? And you’ll have to stop and do it again – follow the same line.
• Too slack? And you will threaten the rig on your blind side. You could stop before you go too far and pull forward. In doing so you may get to that prime position spoken about earlier. Even if not, your lines will be gentler from here.
• When you’re happy, at some point you will naturally switch from window-view to mirrors-view. The accurate positioning work is controlled via the mirrors.
• It is not bad practice to pull forward a little to straighten everything up. It is much easier, and also gives you a good look at both sides of the trailer, and helps you to centralise on the bay.

If the yard is tighter again …
• You may have vehicles parked opposite you, cutting down the space.
• So you may have to get closer to the target and jack-knife the trailer (full lock), which gives maximum turning in the smallest space.
• That overhang measurement will guide you to the safety space to avoid contact, and the pivot point on which you will rotate the trailer sweetly into that corridor (The space in front of your target bay).
• A vehicle aggressively turned like this has to be straightened up in good time otherwise it will just keep turning.
• This is where a steering wheel knob comes in handy.
• Straighten up the rig before the trailer lands in the corridor.
• All straight, reverse sweetly into the space / bay.

That’s it.
I hope this is of help.
SB

borrow a trailer that you can tow with your car as the turn in is 10 times quicker than a 45 footer.
go for several runs to the skips or wherever and reverse it all day,
after you have wrecked your bumper ,both back quarter panels and your tail lights at your expense then you will find jumping into a 45 footer again an absolute doddle.

Wow!!! I’d have been happy with a few words of gentle encouragement but I have to say that the quality of these posts is superb. Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort.

Now to put it into practice;-)

We have drivers with 30 years plus experience are ■■■■ at revesring, Trust me it will all click into place. At least your not giving up good on you pal

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Oh and for blind side reverse, I always use my blind spot mirror it helps a lot more

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1 spotlessly clean windows and mirrors, if you can’t see you’ve already lost the battle, and those mirrors need setting up properly, not for sky viewing or admiring the lorry paintwork.
2 a three axle trailer pivots on the middle axle, raise one axle and it becomes a tandem which pivots at a point between the two on the ground
2a if you have a three axle tractor and loaded, dump the air from the mid lift (some makes then axle will raise after a while), it makes maneuvering easier and is kinder to the lorry overall.
3 find your own method, some look out the windows, some find it better to open the door and look back from that more commanding view…i do this, its old school and some frown on it

4 the important one, you are avoiding blind sides which also suggests to me you are avoiding reversing whenever possible, this is the wrong method entirely.
every single day and several times a day if possible, pull into a MSA or other large parking area, select a bay where you can do no damage and practice from all angles reversing into that bay, you can try out all methods and find the one that suits you, this is the place to practice blind sides especially, doesn’t matter if you ■■■■■■■■ up cos unless you fully jack knife it and hit the cab against the trailer you can do no harm.
if you do this every day as often as possible it will all come to you, your issue now is that you arn’t practicing and perfecting where safe to do so, you are avoiding confronting your problem and it’s become the bogeyman.
take no notice of any half wits who laugh at your practicing, chances are they will be attending the steering wheel of motors riddled in battle scars they did, drivers who take a pride in their work will approve of sensible practice such as that

4a when you leave a bay in a tight yard, stop and make a mental note of any tracks the lorry or trailer may have left on the ground, the path taken leaving will usually give you and idea of the best path to take to reverse it back in, where most go wrong is trying to get the arse end of the trailer in the gap too soon, you want to leave bending the outfit a little later so you end up with the trailer straight before you actually enter the bay.

5 learn on blind sides to adjust the nearside main mirror as you increase the angle between tractor and trailer, and vice versa, wide angle mirrors are too convex for careful vision of what is happening, the main mirror is what you need.
6 if you have any nearside rear or back windows in the tractor don’t be a big trucker type who pulls the curtains across, any glass area wants to be clear and spotlessly clean inside and out to give you the very best vision going.

Practice is everything.

Myar Seitis:
Wow!!! I’d have been happy with a few words of gentle encouragement but I have to say that the quality of these posts is superb. Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort.

Now to put it into practice;-)

If it is any consolation I have been reversing onto a bay for about a couple of weeks only getting C+E in Oct. I sometimes get in perfectly and other times ‘miss the plot’.
I keep the curve as shallow as possible and I am ok. The 45 deg reverse I am struggling with as I don’t seem to be able to get the cab over enough to get it straight. I am ok with an angle up to about 25 degs beyond that I’ve lost the plot.

Do you look out the window or use mirrors - I do both. Most folk I have observed use the window mostly - judging with the eye seems the better bet. Last night I made an ■■■ of myself at a farm and then did it perfectly back at the depot.

Juddian:

4 the important one, you are avoiding blind sides which also suggests to me you are avoiding reversing whenever possible, this is the wrong method entirely.

Firstly thanks for what is yet another great post. Initially I read this and thought to myself “hes wrong, I dont avoid reversing”. But I sort of do! You’re right! I dont bottle any reverses I have to do, but I havent gone out of my way to reverse when theres been an easier way. That WILL change. In fact it has changed.

This week whenever I’ve gone into our yard I’ve done a good side, blind side and two parallel parks…one each side, before putting the trailer where it is meant to be. It’s not much, but it’s a start.from now on I’ll do that every time i can cos you’re also right about practice being everything

It’s a simple concept, but it’s the difference… and it’s only me that can do it

Cheers

jessejazza:
Do you look out the window or use mirrors - I do both. Most folk I have observed use the window mostly - judging with the eye seems the better bet. Last night I made an ■■■ of myself at a farm and then did it perfectly back at the depot.

I do use both, but being an older new guy I find myself squinting a bit when looking back, so I probs do 80% with mirrors

Myar Seitis:

jessejazza:

I do use both, but being an older new guy I find myself squinting a bit when looking back, so I probs do 80% with mirrors

we are similar I am 55 yrs (LOL). I also find myself squinting. Looking out of the window is my preference which I am still working on.

Myar Seitis:

Juddian:

Firstly thanks for what is yet another great post. Initially I read this and thought to myself “hes wrong, I dont avoid reversing”. But I sort of do! You’re right! I dont bottle any reverses I have to do, but I havent gone out of my way to reverse when theres been an easier way. That WILL change. In fact it has changed.

This week whenever I’ve gone into our yard I’ve done a good side, blind side and two parallel parks…one each side, before putting the trailer where it is meant to be. It’s not much, but it’s a start.from now on I’ll do that every time i can cos you’re also right about practice being everything

It’s a simple concept, but it’s the difference… and it’s only me that can do it

Cheers

Top man.

Incidentally, 43 years and counting and i still perform at least one blind side every day when i’m at work, deliberately, helps keep your hand in.

No trouble i can usually put my regular tank anywhere within reason :sunglasses: But oh dear present me with a curtain sider or a fridge and i’m all over the shop :blush:

Don’t think this has been mentioned, but mirrors can give misleading ideas of where you’re going when trying to line up.

I notice on this DAF if I try to follow 2 lines into a bay, the drivers mirror suggests I’m slightly out and the passenger one says I’m heading into the next country at right angles.

As soon as I took advice on here (esp Juddian’s) to look out the window, reversing got so much easier. Oh just do remember to open it first…it hurts less! :slight_smile:

TrevHCS, what is it about Daf’s? particularly CFs, i can’t even drive the things forward properly, backwards might as well have passed me test ten minutes ago :unamused:

steve8311:

Good-Side Reversing

Assessing the Position
• Is your target eg just inside a yellow line? Picture the tyres running inside that line.
• Maybe you have yellow bananas to negotiate? Sometimes the lines run (crazily) into the bananas so you have to allow for that and aim to be inside that yellow line.
• If the space is tight, or if there are units in place, this demands a steeper attack.
• You don’t want your overhang threatening any neighbouring hardware, so you try to get your trailer as straight as possible before reversing.

• If you’ve got your measures right you’ll be nice and straight and all you have to do is reverse in a straight line. And you picked a neighbouring trailer as your target so you know you’re on the right line.
• If you want to move trailer to the right (in your mirror) then press gently up on the RHS of the steering wheel.
• If you are dropping the trailer, you’ll need to remove your number plate before docking.

• By this I mean you are leaning out of the window to give yourself all of the good side advantage, with a clear path to the target.
• Make sure the steering wheel is away from your body (ie your hands don’t get caught up in clothing).
• Twist your body so you can transfer comfortably between pedals, lean out the window and anchor your right hand on the outside of the door.
• Picture a curved line from the centre axle (or centre point) to that yellow line marking the LHS of your bay.
• Make small adjustments in good time. For each turn of the wheel you make (to bend it), you could undo that turn (straighten) and the trailer will still turn.
• Too tight on the target? And you’ll have to stop and do it again – follow the same line.
• Too slack? And you will threaten the rig on your blind side. You could stop before you go too far and pull forward. In doing so you may get to that prime position spoken about earlier. Even if not, your lines will be gentler from here.
• When you’re happy, at some point you will naturally switch from window-view to mirrors-view. The accurate positioning work is controlled via the mirrors.
• It is not bad practice to pull forward a little to straighten everything up. It is much easier, and also gives you a good look at both sides of the trailer, and helps you to centralise on the bay.

• So you may have to get closer to the target and jack-knife the trailer (full lock), which gives maximum turning in the smallest space.
• That overhang measurement will guide you to the safety space to avoid contact, and the pivot point on which you will rotate the trailer sweetly into that corridor (The space in front of your target bay).
• A vehicle aggressively turned like this has to be straightened up in good time otherwise it will just keep turning.

That’s it.
I hope this is of help.
SB

Thanks for this - but I have had the following trouble which i don’t seem to master.

I do both the 45 deg and the 90 deg and… either get in perfectly or miss and miss badly (mainly I go to supermarket warehouses which tend to require the 90deg). So my reversing skills are a mixture of good and diabolical one could say.
The 90 deg I find easier for some strange reason. BUT I still find it hard to get in there in one shot.

The bay is one thing but some service stations which have parking spaces like car parks rather than slanted or long lanes types. Some of these one only has 6-8 ins either side and only way to get in I presume is to do a 90deg and make sure you are absolutely straight as you go into the box. To me it’s far from easy as I can’t see how to make better judgement.

steve8311:

Good-Side Reversing

Assessing the Position

That’s it.
I hope this is of help.
SB

I have ■■■■■■ bookmarked this for when I may decide to become a bendy [zb]! Thanks :slight_smile:

youtu.be/INnt2k71kBI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youtu.be/_EkoMib4q4Y

mark1284:
https://youtu.be/_EkoMib4q4Y

I’m not sure this chap is particularly helpful or calming on the nerves lol

Having said that it’s at least some support. My first day I was thrown the keys and sent off to basically spend the day ■■■■■■■■ myself but it soon wore off.