Reversing.......again!

jessejazza:
I am hoping the OP has re-read this thread.

This past week I have found that my reversing has continually got better. Then I had a bombshell - a new DAF unit to drive on Fri. There was one reference to DAF from a member and I agree 110% - it’s absolutely awful.

It seems to “over steer” or “run away with you”. One starts reversing down one’s curve and then straightening up… and the trailer just continues without correction. It seems one has to then over correct as well. I found it utterly humiliating after my efforts in Mercedes, Volvo, Scania, Renault - these I’ve found much the same. That day I only had to go onto a Waitrose bay almost straight - trailer went all over the place… must have been about 4-5 shunts I did just to get her neatly in the yellow lines.

When I got back to the yard I asked the driver trainers and they agreed. Obviously with practice one gets used to it but its more difficult than the other four makes I have used. Yesterday I met a driver who seemed to be having trouble on a bay and… yeah guess what using a DAF for the first time (he said) and judging by his age possibly 30 years experience.

For the OP I wonder now if he is using a DAF and has been struggling. Its DAF NOT him! Not the unit make to learn reversing with. At work I’ve requested not to use the DAFs - don’t see why I should risk a bump and endure the additional stress.

Benjie83:
I’d agree on that.

I noticed it between scanias, the older gen shape around 13/14plt you had control, the new gens all you do is whisper an it’s into the trees [emoji38]

It’ll be to do with steering ratios/power assistance pressure, the tyres especially and their pressures WILL make it glide lol.
Add ya load status and trailer config/difference coupled with the obvious such as wear on components on an older model and less “driver comfort” design and id say there’s the answers.

Having had the pleasure of some of Stobarts scanias, it was shocking how [zb] some of the older ones were, slack as hookers cracks which made it very difficult when your a new pass as you could guarantee soon as you jumped in a new gen you’d be as above, jacknifed at 2mph, now add the auto brake an your a laughing stock [emoji38]

I Did an assessment other week in a brand new scania, suffice to say even with a yard the size of Heathrow, dead empty, bays lined out to the max…

I needed a dozen shunts thanks in no small part to the auto break too, less is definitely more in these new shiny motors.

DAF and Iveco I have always found have the best seats for my back adn that’s why I have liked them for rigids. The Daf artic unit is the only one I have found a pain with reversing. I’ll just have to experiment more next time I get one. I’ve noticed some folk use a steering knob which would allow one to take off the lock a bit quicker - I’m not so quick getting the steering wheel round as some folk.