Morning all. Just joined the site

Right, im a mechanic and have been for almost 30 years and in my opinion its dark times ahead for the car trade. Love them or hate them (im not a fan) EVs will soon be a normality. I dont really want to be a part of it to be honest. Happy to drive one, one day but i dont really relish the idea of having to work on them for a living.

So its time i moved on.
I wanted to drive lorries as soon as i was old enough and went on the spanners at 16 to tide me over. Moved in with my other half at 20 and became a parent at 21. So that was any spare money gone for years…

Im in a half decent position now to finance retraining and can find the time to get on with it.

Passed my medical on monday and booked in for an eye test on Saturday.

Been revising the theory with the official DVSA guide books and DVD.
Seem to be struggling to get a pass on the hazard perception though.
More practice needed.

Been browsing this site for a while now and seems a great place to be.

Thats all for now folks.

Cheers Rich

Hi pal pay for the dvla app the practice is far better that way bud.
Try Pete Smythe for the rest.All the best with it.

Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question: :question:

Beetlejuice:

Thanks, I’ll look into that.
Had a look at Pete Smythes website but im a fair distance from there.
I may give them a call closer to the time and go from there.

Cheers

ROG:
Have you checked out the link in my signature below :question: :question:

Funnily enough, yes i have and its a very informative read. The other day but will be reading through it a few more times to take it all in.

Rich T:

Beetlejuice:

Thanks, I’ll look into that.
Had a look at Pete Smythes website but im a fair distance from there.
I may give them a call closer to the time and go from there.

Cheers

Dont forget he offers free accomodation if your over 70 miles away. And comes highly rated by many on here.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

El Deano:

Rich T:

Beetlejuice:

Cheers

Dont forget he offers free accomodation if your over 70 miles away. And comes highly rated by many on here.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thats good to know. Just had a look and im 107 miles away. I’ll give them a call once i get to my theory test.

Got a question that i think may have been asked a million times before…

Ive got my eye test tomorrow and assuming I pass that will be sending off my paperwork to get my licence up dated.

Ive got another form at home (cant remember the form no) to fill in to apply for my provisional C licence that I’ll be sending off also.

I have C1 and C1E already.
On the form theres a box to X for 1st provisional entitlement and below it another box to X for additional provisional entitlement.
Should I X both boxes or just the 1st one?

Tick C & D only

That will cover all LGV & PCV categories

And it costs no more to do that :smiley:

Not sure if i want to do psv but worth a tick for now.

But just X the box for 1st provisional right?

Rich T:
Not sure if i want to do psv but worth a tick for now.

But just X the box for 1st provisional right?

If you tick both C & D then you should never have to fill in a D2 form again - ever :smiley: :smiley:

I’ll do that then :smiley:

Sent off my license and associated paperwork last week recorded and signed for. Got there Wednesday.
I feel that im ready to go for my theory test so primed and ready to book it as soon as my license is returned.

It was on my doormat when i got home Friday.

Id sent a cheque and photo to update that also. Hasnt been done and no explanation as to why :imp: .
The exp date on my card runs out in feb 20.
What is it with these people?
Going to try and ring them tomorrow.
Are there any letters on the card to confirm that the medical paperwork has been processed or would that just be something that’s stored on the DVLA system?

If I understand you right, then
gov.uk/view-driving-licence (then click Vehicles you can drive and scroll down to Vehicles you can provisionally drive).
That lets you check what provisional categories have been granted to you… if you have been granted C then they must have accepted your medical (that’s my understanding anyway). It will tell you the date they granted it which should be a few days ago.
If you hold the provisional entitlement you can book your theory now I reckon, but don’t fall in to the trap of sending off your licence again to get their screw-up with the photo fixed and then not having it back in your possession by your theory test date, as you need to show them it to take the test.

Thanks.
Just had a look and nothing has been updated.
I know i did my medical years ago to become a driver so maybe thats why it hasn’t been changed?

Ahh sorry, if you already held C I don’t think it will show :blush:

SJB:
Ahh sorry, if you already held C I don’t think it will show :blush:

You wasn’t to know and to be honest, I’d forgotten lol.

With that already on my license, can i book my theory?

Not to worry about the photo and expiry date. Once you are a lorry driver you will get a five year licence and renewing is FREE! You will probably keep the existing photo for those five years.
There is actually very little difference in your licence when you get your provisional sorted out. It is a card that looks exactly the same and you can’t even see your provisional entitlement on it.
In your case I think your old provisional needed reinstated possibly because of being over 45, with a medical being due.
Anyways, multiple choice and hazard perception await.
If you are in no particular rush I would just leave the CPC completely until you have your full licence. You actually have two possible routes because of your C1, presumably held since before 1997. The cost is quite similar, but one requires no passing/failing, just sitting in a classroom :slight_smile:

However, just a thought, if you did get your CPC first, you could be out using your 7.5 tonne licence.

Thanks for your reply Noremac.
I finally got through to someone at DVLA who knew what they were doing (3rd time lucky) and its all been explained.

My photo cant be updated until at most 3 months before my licence expires and at about 4 months at the moment. Also as i now have provisional C on my license, i don’t have to pay for my pic update when the time comes.

Made some enquiries about my theory test yesterday. Im able to book my theory and hazard perception tests but not my cpc for some reason.
The chap sead it happens about 10 times a week. Has to apply to the DVLA on my behalf. Apparently only a problem if you have a “troubled” driving history of which i dont. But fingers crossed anyway.