2 Oct CE pass with Peter Smythe "No one fails there"

Peter Smythe:

That being said I would strongly recommend doing drawbar for the test. As I have learnt trailer legs give trouble (in the sense that the ratchet sticks and needs a jiggle depending how it has sat) and I wouldn’t have wanted the hassle for the test. Reversing the artic trailer is a different world to reversing a drawbar trailer or car transporter and one is better to learn the method of artic reversing properly in a good company.

The topic of drawbar vs artic is never - ending! With reference to artic trailer legs, I know exactly what you mean. But the solution is very simple. Just grab the handle and pull it firmly out (away from the trailer) . That will engage the winding gear and then there’s no problem. If that doesn’t work, the mechanism is worn and it may need another wiggle.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

What I have found is that one has to wind with the lever in (fine gear) and then pull out for main gear and try a few revs. If that doesn’t work one needs to repeat and it’ll come free. Thing is a trailer gets a ‘beating’ with rough drivers (most trailers winding gear has suffered wear). Training provider kit is in much better condition - I certainly wasn’t implying that was not the case. My firm has about 150 units and as many trailers - maintenance do the best they can… but I’ve had a couple of knackered winding gears which gave me grief and defect reported.

I am biased I suppose - my first attempt at C+E was in an artic with two instructors (sharing the days training) and a grotty trailer with knackered legs. For the test with drawbar there are no worries, a simple hitch and parking brake on the front of the trailer (parking brakes on my firms’ trailers can be at the rear or just behind the legs). Once test is done THEN real learning can take place… as I am finding!