Back to back training

Hi all, I’m looking to get my cat C licence and noticed that a lot of training companies offer C and then C+E back to back. I’d like to do my C+E but my logic was to get C and then get as much experience driving as possible before then training for my C+E. Has anyone done both back to back? And would they recommend doing it that way? Hope my question makes sense and isn’t too stupid, I’m a complete newbie! Cheers

Firstly, welcome to the forum. “Back to Back Training” DOES NOT EXIST! It’s impossible as your licence has to be upgraded having passed CAT C and this can take as long as 4 weeks - but it often around 2 weeks. So be careful when anyone is advertising “Back to Back”. It is a way of getting you to pay for both courses in advance. It also ensures that you have no options if you’re not totally satisfied with your first course.

The best advice is to visit the trainer before parting with any money. Satisfy yourself that you would be comfortable using them and only then, consider paying a deposit. The only sensible alternative to this is to book on rock-solid recommendation. Many folks take this option with us; as forum sponsor we simply cant afford to mess anyone about or provide sub standard service. Feel free to ask about us on here.

With regards to going straight on to CE or otherwise, there is no good answer to this. The argument for going straight on is that you are still in “learning mode” and that you will have better qualifications when you enter the job market. The contra argument is that you gain confidence and experience if you delay doing CE. But be careful because that often marries up with acquiring bad habits that you’ll end up paying to get rid of.

As said, there is no perfect answer. It’s simply up to you.

If I can help further, dont hesitate to ask.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Brilliant, thanks Pete :smiley:

I passed Class 2 15th December 2017, got my licence back on January 3rd. Had to wait for course availability til Feb 2018 for Class 1 and passed. As Peter said, the risk of picking up bad habits is definitely there. I did mine both so close together because I already had a guaranteed job lined up, also I was sick of my current employer with suspicions we were about to be made redundant.

I know of people who’ve done Class 2 and left Class 1 until they’ve got experience, only to be stuck doing class 2 on low wage not being able to afford Class 1. I’d say if you’ve got the money do both as soon as possible, the range of jobs available to you then is out there to enable you to get the earnings that you want. Good luck [emoji106]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk