Agencies vs job job advertisement websites

Are websites like Reed, Totaljobs, Indeed etc considered agencies? So when people say “I’ll get agency work”, are they referring to applying for jobs on these websites?

If not then can someone give me an example of an agency, are they typically smaller local recruitment firms? When you enquire about a job they have or if they call you, do you have an interview with the agency or with the company the agency is using?

Would you mind giving a brief example of the recruitment process of an agency?

Totaljobs, Indeed etc are not agencies they’re basically job advertising sites, sadly most of the jobs you’ll see on their sites seem to be agency jobs.

Very often agency jobs you see advertised do not exist, agencies are well known for advertising none existent jobs just to get names on their books.

When applying for an agency job you’re interviewed by the agency.

If the job is temp to perm you’re likely to be interviewed by both the agency and the company.

Sent from my mobile.

The way it tends to work is that you see a job you like the look of online, probably on Indeed or a similar site, then a few days later you will get a phone call.
“Hi, I’m , calling from . You applied for , are you still looking for work?”
Then they will invite you in for a chat. You go in to their office and they ask you a few questions about your experience, where you’re looking to work and what sort of work you’re looking to do. You answer all of their questions, they tap away on a keyboard for a minute, then say “we have just the job you’re looking for!” Then out comes a stack of paperwork to be filled in, sometimes a few basic tests, and if they’re a big agency, you will sometimes even get a hi-vis with their name on!
Then you wait ages for them to call you back and offer you one days work doing something you’re not trained or qualified for, like HIAB work.
And that is agency work!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hello,

I am new to the haulage industry having been employed for over 20+ years as a mechanical engineer and then self employed for the last 9 years in online marketing.

If it’s of any help, here’s my current experience of agencies and job boards. So I passed my Class 2 recently (August 2019) and at the same time added to my current skills (engineering, IT, customer service etc) by completing and passing my ADR including tanks certificate, also August 2019.

I am currently half way through my first fortnight of ADR work as a direct result of replying to an agency advert on a job website (Indeed). Within 2 days of applying via Indeed the agency asked to meet me to register my details, including the standard multi-choice questions on traffic law, driver’s hours etc. Like a mini DVSA theory test. No issues.

I was told the type of work and vehicle class (as it can be C1 or C) and the starting hours and the company I would be working for. All very transparent. I was advised of any PPE I needed and that was that.

Upon arrival at the company I was a) expected and b) treated very well as a newbie to the industry. I was assigned to an experienced driver who took time to teach me the inner secrets of tacho manual entries etc.

I also registered with another agency direct (not via a job board advert) who have ADR work for me in October for the winter months. At the same time I have been applying for jobs direct with company websites; a case of finding a recruitment or general contact email address and sending my latest CV and cover letter. I have had a couple of interviews via that approach too.

So my opinion would be to apply for jobs direct via a company’s website, as well as registering with a couple of the big agencies and of course applying via Indeed, TotalJobs etc with a well written CV. If you are lacking skills that might be in demand (in my case not so many people around here have ADR - as you know it’s not cheap to fund LGV training, ADR, CPC etc) then perhaps consider some training to make your CV shine above the rest.

As a newly qualified LGV driver I am already seeing offers of long term temp to permanent work via agencies and direct via speculative emails to potential employers.

Good luck :slight_smile:

ktmkiddy:
Hello,

I am new to the haulage industry having been employed for over 20+ years as a mechanical engineer and then self employed for the last 9 years in online marketing.

If it’s of any help, here’s my current experience of agencies and job boards. So I passed my Class 2 recently (August 2019) and at the same time added to my current skills (engineering, IT, customer service etc) by completing and passing my ADR including tanks certificate, also August 2019.

I am currently half way through my first fortnight of ADR work as a direct result of replying to an agency advert on a job website (Indeed). Within 2 days of applying via Indeed the agency asked to meet me to register my details, including the standard multi-choice questions on traffic law, driver’s hours etc. Like a mini DVSA theory test. No issues.

I was told the type of work and vehicle class (as it can be C1 or C) and the starting hours and the company I would be working for. All very transparent. I was advised of any PPE I needed and that was that.

Upon arrival at the company I was a) expected and b) treated very well as a newbie to the industry. I was assigned to an experienced driver who took time to teach me the inner secrets of tacho manual entries etc.

I also registered with another agency direct (not via a job board advert) who have ADR work for me in October for the winter months. At the same time I have been applying for jobs direct with company websites; a case of finding a recruitment or general contact email address and sending my latest CV and cover letter. I have had a couple of interviews via that approach too.

So my opinion would be to apply for jobs direct via a company’s website, as well as registering with a couple of the big agencies and of course applying via Indeed, TotalJobs etc with a well written CV. If you are lacking skills that might be in demand (in my case not so many people around here have ADR - as you know it’s not cheap to fund LGV training, ADR, CPC etc) then perhaps consider some training to make your CV shine above the rest.

As a newly qualified LGV driver I am already seeing offers of long term temp to permanent work via agencies and direct via speculative emails to potential employers.

Good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks! Just the kind of answer I was looking for. When you say you replied to an agency job advert on indeed, how do you differentiate between an agency advert and a company one? Also when applying to agency work do you have to send in your CV, list your references, interview with a suit etc or is it much more casual?

TruckerWannabe123:
Thanks! Just the kind of answer I was looking for. When you say you replied to an agency job advert on indeed, how do you differentiate between an agency advert and a company one? Also when applying to agency work do you have to send in your CV, list your references, interview with a suit etc or is it much more casual?

I tend to find a company job advert on Indeed uses the company logo and agencies use their own logo. The “posted by” thumbnail.
Also you’ll soon recognise most agency names posting on Indeed. E.g. Backline, Driver Hire, Pertemps, The Best Connection and so on.

I send the same CV to everyone. It’s a standard Word Doc about 2 pages of info. Agencies will ask for references, just names and contact details.
They might not actually contact them but their forms will ask for minimum of 2.

Registration with an agency is clean jeans and t-shirt if you want. Company interviews are trousers and shirt.
Be prepared to be asked by agency what you want to do. We all want to drive a truck but it helps to know what you’d like to try.

In my case I said I wanted ADR work, preferably rigid tanker. Also your preferred hours, days of week etc. This also applies to direct company speculative emails.

I emailed a company this week, simply after driving by one of their trucks. I’d forgotten about them and seeing the truck reminded me; got my 2nd interview with them next week.

A lack of driving experience isn’t an issue if you can show other valuable skills via a CV, your attitude when talking to agencies and potential employers.
It takes about 1 to 1.5 hours to register with an agency in person as they’ll want you to fill in a fair few forms and as I said, discuss your career options.

Pay is around £10.75 to £11 ph for Class 2 newbie in my area.
I turned down a firm job offer that wanted to start me on £8.70 an hour. I was earning that back in 1990!

Be sensible, you won’t be offered £15 ph but if like me you have 30 years experience in safety critical occupations, £8.70 ph is taking the mickey and in certain UK locations, it’s a (professional) drivers market. Don’t feel you have to take the first job an agency offers.

Agencies vs jobs direct with the company:-

The way i would describe it would to somebody completely not in the know, would be like the old dating agencies that you see on tv from the 80’s and 90’s, an agency that has many, many clients ( haulage companies ) on thier books so when vacancies become available at very short notice the agency can fill the vacancy immediately.

Where you’d go in to register with them, filling in all kinds of paper work, you then go home and wait a few days and then they’ll ring you up and say a job has just come in and would you be willing to do it.

Job advertising websites are just that, a place for companies and agencies alike to advertise job vacancies.

Often agencies will advertise jobs that they don’t have, that don’t exist just to get people signed up, when you go in to see an agency, there is no interview, you’ll be just going in to register with them and dress code isn’t a problem in the slightest, nobody dresses up and you could go in wearing shorts and t-shirt, when you get there you’ll fill in paper work, maybe do a theory test and then that’s you registered and you’ll be on your way. Agency work tends to be temporary and at very short notice, they’ll often ring you up at 6am when some driver has failed to turn up for work and adk you to go straight in to cover for them, agency work is not normally " on going " you’ll normally get on day here, nothing for a week or so, then one day there, then nothing for another week then again then a day here.

When you apply for a job that a company is advertising directly, you are cutting out any middle man, and a whole load of hassle and BS by not going through an agency and you will be applying for a job that you know really exists and that will also normally be permanent.

After you apply with a company directly the boss or manager will look through all the applicants and select a number of them to interview, this is a real interview and not what you would see from an agency, you’d also dress up smart in you suit and tie and dress trousers and dress shoes.

The difference between agencies and a job directly with a company is honestly like night and day, some people are so sick of all the hassle and BS from agencies that they no longer bother with them and just apply directly with companies instead.

Agencies promise the world and deliver very little, NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER leavea permanent job you all ready have to do work for an agency, the work won’t last long and you’ll be out of work very quickly.

More often than not, after you’ve been in to register with an agency you’ll never hear from them again, they already have what they want by that point ( names on thier books ).

As far as i understand it, class 1 work for agencies tends to be a little better and a bit more long lasting but don’t hold me to that bit, class 1 agency work for some of the big agencies tends to be supermarket work ( ADR Network do Morrisons, Co-Op, and Lidl or Aldi i forget which German supermarket and ( Staffine do Morrisons and Asda ).

TruckerWannabe123:
Are websites like Reed, Totaljobs, Indeed etc considered agencies? So when people say “I’ll get agency work”, are they referring to applying for jobs on these websites?

If not then can someone give me an example of an agency, are they typically smaller local recruitment firms? When you enquire about a job they have or if they call you, do you have an interview with the agency or with the company the agency is using?

Hi @TruckerWannabe123.
I’ve been working for agencies, now and previously for many years. Agencies used to be an alternative to traditional full-time jobs, but they’ve sprung up like mushrooms and are now the go to places for work. To be honest, they’re about the lowest form of employment you’ll get. The ‘consultants’ you’ll meet are salesmen/women who earn commission every time you do a shift and they couldn’t care less whether the work suits you or not.

The application process is usually quite simple. You’ll generally be required to register with the agency in person and complete a few tests on the WTD and regulations. They’ll then either offer you a job on the spot, or phone you with one. It may or may not be what you wanted and almost always, will be a job that advertises constantly for drivers because no one will stay with them for long. In time you’ll see the same job advertised under various agencies as ‘wonderful opportunities’ and ‘fantastic rates’, but they never are. From ongoing work that turns out holiday relief to trunking that turns out to be multi-drop and onto cancellations, you’ll get many surprises.

I explain agencies and wrote of my experiences here. The HGV Agency Fandango - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Do yourself a favour and collect a google list of all the distribution companies in your area. Send an email to their HR departments and try to get a permanent position. Don’t use agencies unless you’re desperate. Honestly, you will save yourself a lot of stress and disappointments.

John

Grandpa:

TruckerWannabe123:

Hi @TruckerWannabe123.
I’ve been working for agencies, now and previously for many years. Agencies used to be an alternative to traditional full-time jobs, but they’ve sprung up like mushrooms and are now the go to places for work. To be honest, they’re about the lowest form of employment you’ll get. The ‘consultants’ you’ll meet are salesmen/women who earn commission every time you do a shift and they couldn’t care less whether the work suits you or not.

The application process is usually quite simple. You’ll generally be required to register with the agency in person and complete a few tests on the WTD and regulations. They’ll then either offer you a job on the spot, or phone you with one. It may or may not be what you wanted and almost always, will be a job that advertises constantly for drivers because no one will stay with them for long. In time you’ll see the same job advertised under various agencies as ‘wonderful opportunities’ and ‘fantastic rates’, but they never are. From ongoing work that turns out holiday relief to trunking that turns out to be multi-drop and onto cancellations, you’ll get many surprises.

I explain agencies and wrote of my experiences here. The HGV Agency Fandango - THE UK PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS FORUM (INTERACTIVE) - Trucknet UK

Do yourself a favour and collect a google list of all the distribution companies in your area. Send an email to their HR departments and try to get a permanent position. Don’t use agencies unless you’re desperate. Honestly, you will save yourself a lot of stress and disappointments.

John

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was thinking an agency could be a good place to get your foot in the door so when you do come to apply with a company directly, at least you can demonstrate you’ve driven a truck before. Surely that will boost your employment chances dramatically compared to having literally no experience since passing?

I’ve only ever retail jobs so when I do come to do my HGV licence in a year or so my biggest fear is them seeing I have no experience… Agencies seem to be much less picky than companies.

TruckerWannabe123:

Grandpa:

TruckerWannabe123:

Hi @TruckerWannabe123.

John

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was thinking an agency could be a good place to get your foot in the door so when you do come to apply with a company directly, at least you can demonstrate you’ve driven a truck before. Surely that will boost your employment chances dramatically compared to having literally no experience since passing?

I’ve only ever retail jobs so when I do come to do my HGV licence in a year or so my biggest fear is them seeing I have no experience… Agencies seem to be much less picky than companies.

Oh certainly, if you’re new an agency is a definite choice for a few weeks and allows you to make the initial embarrassing mistakes before looking for a permanent position. Yet there are also companies that will take on new drivers and will take into account inexperience.

As an agency driver you’re already assumed to have experience by the company you’ll be at and so you’ll be thrown in at the deep end. If possible, try to pick a holiday period where you can get in as holiday relief to an already established and ongoing job that isn’t the absolute pits, otherwise you’re likely to find yourself sold to a company as, ‘here’s a thing with a licence, use him!’ They know you’re temporary and you’ll get little help. We all had to start at the bottom once, but try to make it easy on yourself. Even with a couple of weeks experience your confidence will increase by leaps and bounds.

Although I have years of previous experience, I find myself in the same position. I’m now having to re-write my Internet cover letter to include the phrase, ‘no agencies.’ I’d rather sit on my backside for a couple of weeks and concentrate on finding a permanent job, than go through the stress of lies, skimmed hourly rates, cancellations and two or three nights a work that I’ve had in the past few weeks. :slight_smile: