Reflecting on my first week as a HGV driver

Hi guys

I have been documenting my progress of becoming a HGV driver step-by-step since April this year. I have been filming videos and uploading them on YouTube with a hope of helping and encouraging wannabe drivers.

Last week was my first week as a HGV driver since passing at the beginning of August. If you’d like to have a look at what my thoughts were at the end of my first week, I have attached the link.

This is coming from an ex-teacher and someone who is completely new and had no idea what-so-ever!

Hayley

Hayley293:
Hi guys

I have been documenting my progress of becoming a HGV driver step-by-step since April this year. I have been filming videos and uploading them on YouTube with a hope of helping and encouraging wannabe drivers.

Last week was my first week as a HGV driver since passing at the beginning of August. If you’d like to have a look at what my thoughts were at the end of my first week, I have attached the link.

This is coming from an ex-teacher and someone who is completely new and had no idea what-so-ever!

https://youtu.be/dMRBOCjZMZA

Hayley

I passed my normal car driving test last week and driving on the open road, parking in parking lots and motorway driving is so much more daunting when I don’t have the security of the instructor by my side. I can only imagine the anxiety when you pass your truck driving test after maybe 5 days? of lessons and suddenly you’re by yourself on the open road.
What a daunting prospect, getting stuck round a bend, clipping a car when turning or reversing, smacking into a bridge or taking a wrong turn which isn’t suitable for a truck so you have to reverse all the way back out with cars behind you beeping and stuff. I’d probably die from the stress :laughing:

Seriously though, how nervous were you when you took the truck out on your first day alone? Did you have all these crazy things running through your you head? If this, if that, what if that happens etc etc?

I’ve got only cat. B. (C training in October). And I can remember how I was stressed out when I had to drive another car (when I had to hire one or on a test drive). Ridiculous probably for some drivers. However when I started renting cars more often, driving LHD in Europe - the stress disappeared. Everything is a matter of practice.

Anyway, very informative videos!

TruckerWannabe123:
I passed my normal car driving test last week and driving on the open road, parking in parking lots and motorway driving is so much more daunting when I don’t have the security of the instructor by my side.

Congratulations, passing the car test is a big milestone in life for most of us.

TruckerWannabe123:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

I passed my normal car driving test last week and driving on the open road, parking in parking lots and motorway driving is so much more daunting when I don’t have the security of the instructor by my side. I can only imagine the anxiety when you pass your truck driving test after maybe 5 days? of lessons and suddenly you’re by yourself on the open road.
What a daunting prospect, getting stuck round a bend, clipping a car when turning or reversing, smacking into a bridge or taking a wrong turn which isn’t suitable for a truck so you have to reverse all the way back out with cars behind you beeping and stuff. I’d probably die from the stress :laughing:

Seriously though, how nervous were you when you took the truck out on your first day alone? Did you have all these crazy things running through your you head? If this, if that, what if that happens etc etc?

Hi, congratulations on passing your driving test! I wasn’t thrown into it like you’ve described. I had an induction week with the company where I had another driver with me to help me and teach me what to do for the job. I was nervous about the length of the lorry, but it’s not that much different to the one you train in. Just take the corners wide and take your time. Keep an eye in the mirrors for the tail when passing parked cars, etc.

To be honest, I was really happy to be on my own. It didn’t bother me really because I knew the company were only a phone call away if I needed them. Funny enough, on my first day alone the lorry wouldn’t start and I had to call the company for breakdown! I had been driving my motorcycle for 6 years and my car for 4 years before I stepped in a lorry so I was already familiar with how the road and other drivers work. The real learning starts after you pass.

For bridges and weight restrictions, they are clearly signed in advance but if in doubt just go another way. And that’s the same for getting stuck, always take a good look into the road or industrial estate before you turn in. If in doubt, get out and walk down to have a look.

Usually if you do get stuck or you are unsure, other drivers or factory and people are happy to help guide you back out. It’s the same when reversing, if you’re unsure then get out and have a look. People will also be happy to guide you when reversing. I just say would you mind helping me please, I’m a new driver. Just be honest. :slight_smile:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Not wanting to ■■■■ on anyone’s chips, but as a brand new driver, first week ever in a truck, is it a good idea to be filming videos while driving?
Look pretty distracted to me and checking the camera more than checking your mirrors.

youtube.com/watch?v=lUVoSKnynnw

idrive:
is it a good idea to be filming videos while driving?
Look pretty distracted to me and checking the camera more than checking your mirrors.

If it is the video in the link above when driving around brum then are you thinking the looks to her left are checking the video :question:
If yes then you are mistaken because they are left mirror checks

ROG:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUVoSKnynnw

idrive:
is it a good idea to be filming videos while driving?

If it is the video in the link above when driving around brum then are you thinking the looks to her left are checking the video :question:
If yes then you are mistaken because they are left mirror checks

Was talking about the first section on the M6 for what it’s worth

Hayley293:

TruckerWannabe123:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi, congratulations on passing your driving test! I wasn’t thrown into it like you’ve described. I had an induction week with the company where I had another driver with me to help me and teach me what to do for the job. I was nervous about the length of the lorry, but it’s not that much different to the one you train in. Just take the corners wide and take your time. Keep an eye in the mirrors for the tail when passing parked cars, etc.

To be honest, I was really happy to be on my own. It didn’t bother me really because I knew the company were only a phone call away if I needed them. Funny enough, on my first day alone the lorry wouldn’t start and I had to call the company for breakdown! I had been driving my motorcycle for 6 years and my car for 4 years before I stepped in a lorry so I was already familiar with how the road and other drivers work. The real learning starts after you pass.

For bridges and weight restrictions, they are clearly signed in advance but if in doubt just go another way. And that’s the same for getting stuck, always take a good look into the road or industrial estate before you turn in. If in doubt, get out and walk down to have a look.

Usually if you do get stuck or you are unsure, other drivers or factory and people are happy to help guide you back out. It’s the same when reversing, if you’re unsure then get out and have a look. People will also be happy to guide you when reversing. I just say would you mind helping me please, I’m a new driver. Just be honest. :slight_smile:

Unlike me the other week… half asleep and pulled into the car park instead of the hgv entrance [emoji1787] luckily it was 430am and no one around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
Ditto, an ex-teacher in the Middle East returned to do some class 1 work to save towards my retirement in a couple of years. :slight_smile: Believe me, class 2 multi-drop will soon lose its glamour, especially during the coming winter months. If you’re going to make a career out of this, get the experience and then move on to class 1. The good old days have gone and the influx of East Europeans means that if you want to make a reasonable living out of this, it will quickly become a lifestyle, not a job. Enjoyed your video, good luck.
John.

mark1284:

Hayley293:

TruckerWannabe123:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Unlike me the other week… half asleep and pulled into the car park instead of the hgv entrance [emoji1787] luckily it was 430am and no one around

I like that. When you look around and think, phew! No one saw. Haha :smiley:

Grandpa:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
Ditto, an ex-teacher in the Middle East returned to do some class 1 work to save towards my retirement in a couple of years. :slight_smile: Believe me, class 2 multi-drop will soon lose its glamour, especially during the coming winter months. If you’re going to make a career out of this, get the experience and then move on to class 1. The good old days have gone and the influx of East Europeans means that if you want to make a reasonable living out of this, it will quickly become a lifestyle, not a job. Enjoyed your video, good luck.
John.

Hi John, that’s the plan! I’m dreading the winter to be honest. I do like being home every night though with this job. Class 1 is on my list, along with ADR & HiAb. Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Hayley293:

Grandpa:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
John.

Hi John, that’s the plan! I’m dreading the winter to be honest. I do like being home every night though with this job. Class 1 is on my list, along with ADR & HiAb. Thanks for your support :slight_smile:

Winters fun lol just take it nice and easy and keep a good distance from the vehicle in front.
Last year i had to reverse up a hill in the snow to the shed i was tipping in. Took a few attempts as the wheels were just spinning lol just need a run at it and try not to stop and dump all the air on the drive axels

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
Found this really useful to watch. Thanks for posting! First of your videos I’ve watched.
I’ve finished working my 3 months notice with my previous job & planning on doing a mix of agency work with my previous job & driving agency work.
Got my amended driving licence 2 weeks after passing Cat C in Aug & got my CPC Card through last week (after a DVLA delay). Realised at the beginning of this week I was a bit nervous to take the next step into paid driving! Definitely would prefer to look for shifts that have a driver trainer for the 1st couple of days at least & also going to take a look at your curtain side video!
I feel I’m in the same position as you as I’ve never done any paid driving before so it’s good to know someone else has got through the 1st week & come out the other side!!
Cheers!
JenS

JenS:

Hayley293:
Hi guys

Hayley

Hi Hayley,
Found this really useful to watch. Thanks for posting! First of your videos I’ve watched.
I’ve finished working my 3 months notice with my previous job & planning on doing a mix of agency work with my previous job & driving agency work.
Got my amended driving licence 2 weeks after passing Cat C in Aug & got my CPC Card through last week (after a DVLA delay). Realised at the beginning of this week I was a bit nervous to take the next step into paid driving! Definitely would prefer to look for shifts that have a driver trainer for the 1st couple of days at least & also going to take a look at your curtain side video!
I feel I’m in the same position as you as I’ve never done any paid driving before so it’s good to know someone else has got through the 1st week & come out the other side!!
Cheers!
JenS

Hi JenS, any good company should put you with a buddy when you start out. There’s so much that we aren’t taught during the training process so it was a god send having someone with me while I got to grips with it all. I was dirty, bruised and achey but I survived my first week smiling… and you can too. Honestly, you’ll take to it like a duck to water and wonder what you ever worried about. Hope it goes well for you. Thanks for your support with the videos :slight_smile: