PSV to HGV

Hi all,

My father upgraded his PSV to HGV early 90’s ish and at that time he insists that his PSV doubled as a provisional for class 1 and he didn’t have to sit class 2. Is this still the case?

I had also had full manual PSV from mid 80’s until mid 90’s but never renewed. I am now planning to get HGV training and wondered that if I get medical and cat D added back to my licence would it automatically add C+E provisional. Can’t find any reference on the web so I assume that this is now outdated.

Thanks

Stringer:
Hi all,

My father upgraded his PSV to HGV early 90’s ish and at that time he insists that his PSV doubled as a provisional for class 1 and he didn’t have to sit class 2. Is this still the case?

I had also had full manual PSV from mid 80’s until mid 90’s but never renewed. I am now planning to get HGV training and wondered that if I get medical and cat D added back to my licence would it automatically add C+E provisional. Can’t find any reference on the web so I assume that this is now outdated.

Thanks

The old PSV & HGV rules and terminology have gone as per the early 80s

The PCV & LGV rules applied from the 80s - D and C categories do not act as a provisional for each other

That was quick, thanks :slight_smile:

Thats a pity - seems a bit daft but rules is rules :laughing:

Does the driver have LGV provisional :question: - ‘check my driving licence’ online if unknown

ROG:
Does the driver have LGV provisional :question: - ‘check my driving licence’ online if unknown

Thanks. I doubt it but will wait and see what comes back once medical done and forms sent away.

Stringer:

ROG:

Thanks. I doubt it but will wait and see what comes back once medical done and forms sent away.

If driver already has LGV provisional then no need for medical as it is already covered by PCV one

ROG:

Stringer:

ROG:

If driver already has LGV provisional then no need for medical as it is already covered by PCV one

Thanks again, I have to do the medical anyway, to have the restrictions lifted due to medical issue 3 1/2 years ago ( restricted to 3.5t and on a 3 year renewal - bizarrely I still have B+E). Just thought if I was doing the medical anyway I’d ask for PCV back as well as the C1 et al that’s been taken off and add HGV provisional. Just wasnt sure if I had to go the Cat C route or not. But I think you have now cleared that up now.