First C+E Driving Job!

TommyT8:
Well, that’s my first week finished! I did 60 hours this week with the driver trainer and I loved it, can’t fault him one bit. Not going to lie, the first day or two I was like holy crap… a lot to take in… driving fully loaded on the road, how to use the trailer, paperwork, keeping an eye on the tacho, trying to reverse… I can say every day has got easier and more enjoyable though and the trainer has been patient and helped me out massively. My reversing was absolutely crap at the start but by the end of the week I improved a lot, still a long way to go though but it’ll come with practice.

I’ve been learning to drive more economically, using cruise control, the exhaust brake, gear changes and gradient of the road to slow down (or speed up) rather than using the footbrake all the time. They have telematics in the truck and my score was poor the first day, improved the second and by the third the score was pretty good.

Some of the places I’ve been are really really tight at the recycling plants, not just inside but the weigh bridges and entrances. One place has a long tight track you have to go around before leaving and it’s crazy tight for an artic, kind of like a jungle safari with all the trees and potholes. Some places were muddy, some had massive hills and drops, some were just sand tracks. Certainly a variety.

So far I’m happy, the company I’m with seem really decent, truck is good, everything is done properly and any problems they get dealt with. Good of them to send me out with the driver trainer, no way I would have survived the week on my own. I’m with him for another week, not sure if I am the week after, I reckon I will be ok after next week.

Thanks for the congratulations and advice everyone, good luck with your class 1 training Young Scottish Newbie, take your time and you’ll ace it. The walking floors are really good, easy to operate once you’ve got used to it.

Hey bud! Glad to see your enjoying yourself mate, Also its great your sent out with a trainer for a few weeks, As by the sound of it you’ve had some tight/difficult spots to deal with!!

Well done mate and long may your enjoyment last! After all not many people get paid to do something they enjoy!!

Thanks mate I passed thankfully =) start my training next week as far as I’m aware its 5 days training and then out on my own!! Should be good though, Artics drive way easier than rigid’s!! Looking forward to starting even more after reading how your first week went mate!! :sunglasses: