Advice: Companies Training Drivers with provisional

Hi folks,

First post here on the forums and I’m a newcomer looking to join the industry.

I have a provisional cat C license, passed my medical and CPC modules 1&2. Just got some practical training to do and complete my CPC demonstration and driving test.

I have been contacting local companies in my area regarding a job as I know some companies will be happy to bring new drivers to the industry despit only have a provisional license.

So far I have contacted 4 companies. One came back to me and said I made a strong application but was too far from their training depot, the other said I need a years’ experience before I would be considered.

I was wondering about experience, and how drivers get into the industry when we have no experience whatsoever? I love driving and long distance doesn’t bother me. Drive up to Scotland (8 hour drive) and felt fresh as a daisy when I got there.

Any advice those alread in the industry could possibly provide in my search?

Many thanks in advance, and happy trucking!

Cheers,
Adam

Take a look on indeed.co.uk

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv+cla … 2C+Norfolk

For Class 2 work, you could try contacting local agencies. As a new driver, it’s often easy to get a job driving a bin lorry for one of the local councils. Some find this easy work. Do this for one year and you will be ready to move on to better things. If you fancy some hard work, then Class 2 food delivery multi drops with firms such as Brakes will often take on new drivers because experienced drivers can get easier work elsewhere.

Here’s a Class 1 job in Norwich suitable for a newly qualified driver.

indeed.co.uk/jobs?q=hgv%20c … fa4545a934

Thanks for the advice,

I am not yet qualified, just waiting for my Tacho Card to arrive (should be here this week) and I’m hoping someone will give me a chance and train me up. I am happy to put in the hard work and do other duties if required.

Does anyone know of any grants or programs that help to train new drivers?

Cheers,
Adam

Stobarts have a training program, I would steer well clear of it though. You either pay it back at a stupidly high interest rate or pay it back if you leave within a certain time (depending on which scam they’re running these days).
Unfortunately, pretty much the only way to get your qualifications is to pay for them yourself

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have you considered doing your training with the forum sponsor (PSTT)? He gets plenty of glowing reviews on here!

Or if you if you want to still go down the “apprenticeship” route, I think Freshlinc (or sometimes called Freshlincski by some of our members) in Spalding, along with Fowler Welch (there might be a depot in your area) also run apprentice-type training schemes. However, be careful, because they might want you to stay employed with them for at least two years after you finished your training with them. Yes, you can still leave before the two years is up, but you might have to pay back the costs of the training (not 100% sure, but I believe that might be the case).

Oh, and one more thing, AVOID TRAINING BROKERS LIKE THE PLAGUE! Always, Always book assessment drives with at LEAST two training firms directly before laying down your hard earned dosh.

I wish you the very best of luck on whichever path you choose to follow in order to get your LGV licence.

Garbo. :smiley: :grimacing:

“I know some companies will be happy to bring new drivers to the industry even if they only have a provisional licence”… Sorry but I think this can be described as a misunderstanding on your part, it’s very rare, occasionally if you already work for the company in a different job role they might put you through your licence but for a stranger, it’s unlikely it will be an option at all never mind a good option to take. Are you getting confused with buses, they’ll put you through your training, even pay you to do it.

SJB:
“I know some companies will be happy to bring new drivers to the industry even if they only have a provisional licence”… Sorry but I think this can be described as a misunderstanding on your part, it’s very rare, occasionally if you already work for the company in a different job role they might put you through your licence but for a stranger, it’s unlikely it will be an option at all never mind a good option to take. Are you getting confused with buses, they’ll put you through your training, even pay you to do it.

I have seen a few companies who train you up if they think you are the right candidate. Turners do this (though they turned me down due to distance) and other companies too (who I have contacted).

Thanks for your input though, it is still appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam

Out of interest I had a look at the Turners scheme you mentioned ( turners-distribution.com/do … lgv-driver )

You have to work for them as a dogsbody doing washing and yard work etc, and they deduct the LGV training deposit from your wages - if a review on indeed.com is to be believed, it’s an Apprentice wage you’re on! Even if that’s not true you’re not taking much home to live on initially. Pass and the wage goes up but you still pay the Full balance of the training back via wage deduction, so it was only ever a loan. And you’re tied to them, so if you don’t like the company it’s harder to leave. To be honest I can get a loan on what I’d regard as better terms than that, if I needed one, so it’s not what I would class as a good option, more an option of last resort.

If you’re sure a scheme like that is right for you, good luck in finding one, just have a good think before you sign and look at how much they’re valuing the training costs at, if they’re inflating the training costs then it’s even worse!

Unless you are lucky enough to land in the right place at the right time you will probably need to pay for it yourself.

Oh actually there is a company that will train you on a provisional, you may have heard of them, they are called the army.

Very few companies will train someone new to them, other than Stobarts

I’ve just seen this though, so apparently it does exist and via agency too !
prnt.sc/ovooqh (Don’t know how to attach images to posts)

Bear in mind C1 = 7.5 Ton but it is a way in to getting some experience.

Jimmy McNulty:
Oh actually there is a company that will train you on a provisional, you may have heard of them, they are called the army.

Not unheard of for people to join, get their licences, then get booted out not long after

OP if it helps I BELIEVE Maritime transport offer a programme called their professional driver plan… Can’t share a link but it’s on there.

Basically it’s where if you gain your C2 yourself, they will put you through C1 with them.

Now Alot of folk will probs ball bag the idea, BUT as a new driver it’s a way in and can avoid the old exp thing, plus it’s a job and for that, me personally I’d be very greatful for the opportunity to get going.

They have depot all over, and I THINK I’ve seen they run the odd rigid too, although it was dark when I passed it [emoji38][emoji38]

Either way best of luck fella [emoji41]

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Aparently BoJo just gave the RHA and another company £1mil to run this scheme

roadtologistics.org/

It may be an option