Oh the embarrassment!

Had to get the shunter to put my trailer on the bay this morning, been nearly 4 weeks now and I thought it was beginning to click lately but I just couldn’t get it on with where a van was parked and a empty trailer parked opposite my bay. I didn’t hang around to watch him put it on cos I’ve seen them before and it probably took him all of 12 seconds to do it, I just bobtailed off sharpish to go a lick my wounds lol Left work though and considered for a few minutes abt just jacking it in and going back on class 2 where life is simple and my pride doesn’t get bashed around.

cribs76:
Had to get the shunter to put my trailer on the bay this morning, been nearly 4 weeks now and I thought it was beginning to click lately but I just couldn’t get it on with where a van was parked and a empty trailer parked opposite my bay. I didn’t hang around to watch him put it on cos I’ve seen them before and it probably took him all of 12 seconds to do it, I just bobtailed off sharpish to go a lick my wounds lol Left work though and considered for a few minutes abt just jacking it in and going back on class 2 where life is simple and my pride doesn’t get bashed around.

Maybe the shunter took half an hour, or moved away the dropped trailer?

We’ve all been there, don’t let something like this knock your confidence. Always better to ask for help than have an accident. Best thing to do is when you get back to your yard, if it’s quiet, pick a difficult bay to park in instead of the easy one you can just drive forward in to. That way you can get a bit of practice without any pressure

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
We’ve all been there, don’t let something like this knock your confidence. Always better to ask for help than have an accident. Best thing to do is when you get back to your yard, if it’s quiet, pick a difficult bay to park in instead of the easy one you can just drive forward in to. That way you can get a bit of practice without any pressure

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yup think I’m gona start staying late on a Saturday morning just practicing if I get back early enough cos the only living things around there then are the security guards and the warehouse cat. I’ll probably end up squashing the poor cat though lol

Maybe the shunter took half an hour, or moved away the dropped trailer?

Doubt it I watch those shunter guys 180 them onto bays like they are playing with toys, he came round abt a minute after and stopped to give me some words of encouragement while I was fueling up. He did say that he has been doing it 20 years docking upto 80 trailers a night and we all had to start somewhere. Hopefully I’ll be able to do it in 20 years without it being a complete fluke. Those shunting trucks are a different beast to a tractor though.

If it’s any comfort, it took 2 years for me to be anything like proficient with reversing artics. That was 45 years ago so I’ve just about got it sorted now!

Just persevere and dont feel pressured. There’s a lot more pressure if you get it properly wrong.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thats nice of him… some will sit there and laugh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took 25 mins the other day shunting and restarting to get on a bay.

Was a tight blindside in a unit I don’t know well and don’t like (high horepower man which is jerky even in manual mode). No room to shunt back and forward and needs to be fed in between two trailers.

Didn’t care at all. Got it on. Didn’t damage anything. Anyone who wants to knock or ridicule me is fine to do so. But I’m paid to get from a to b with no damage. If I’m slower than some and don’t cause damage I’m fine with it. Usually loads of drivers would jump out and help on that bay but there was no one around.

I often find when I’m learning something it goes well and then theres a time where e everything you do seems to go wrong before it clicks back again.

Like the top shunter says, hes been doing it 20 years which means he can probably do it with his eyes shut.

Just to add, one of my lads, been driving for 30 years, been with me for 12. With our stuff, 99% of the time we pull onto a big yard and tip off the side. Did a favour for someone and took one of their trailers which had to go on a bay, he said he lost count of the stunts, so it is just getting used to it and repetition.

Today I was at B&Q. Swindon and couldn’t park in the bay straight to save my life , but 2 days a week I tip at Prysmain Aberdare on those god awful bays and do them in half the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

blue estate:
Today I was at B&Q. Swindon and couldn’t park in the bay straight to save my life , but 2 days a week I tip at Prysmain Aberdare on those god awful bays and do them in half the time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That one in Aberdare/Merthyr is it two bays and you have to kind of reverse around a tight corner too it?? Been there about two years ago by far worst bay to get onto .