Eye tests for Medical for wanna be driver

Jamesking101:

CookieMonster:
The standard for eye tests is the same for a hgv as it is for a car. So based on that, a few questions.
Do you go to the opticians regularly?
Have you had to declare any vision problems to the DVLA previously?
Do you wear glasses when driving a car?
Your best bet is to go to an optician for an eye test and see what they say. I’d imagine worst case scenario might be that you need glasses for driving

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thanks, no I don’t need glasses for driving, I had lots of appointments with opticians after the operation but have not been in a while however they said at the time my vision met the standard for driving un aided. I have just booked an appointment, I think it was my peripheral vision I was mainly worried about and if they took that into account ?

Hi James,
The eyesight standard for driving group 2 vehicles (HGV/PCV) is higher than for driving cars. On a snellen chart you must reach 6/7.5 in at least one eye and 6/60 in the weaker eye. It’s not a problem if you can only reach this standard with your glasses on or contact lenses in, this just means that a condition will be put on your licence by DVLA that you must wear your correction when driving the group 2 vehicles. Although DVLA ultimately make the decision on fitness, as you have an appointment with your optician they will be able to complete the eyesight part of the D4 form and if you meet the visual acuity standard of 6/7.5 and 6/60 there’s no reason why you shouldn’t then undertake the D4 medical.
Ryan
D4Drivers.