Where to start?

Passed my cat C today and wondered if anyone has any ideas where to start looking for work?

I have a sales background but have been a home delivery driver for ASDA for the past year and everywhere is asking for a CV should I rewrite my CV to focus only driving experience or just update it?

Any help much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christheryder:
Passed my cat C today and wondered if anyone has any ideas where to start looking for work?

I have a sales background but have been a home delivery driver for ASDA for the past year and everywhere is asking for a CV should I rewrite my CV to focus only driving experience or just update it?

Location would be really useful, congratulations on passing your test btw.

Why didn’t you research the prospects of future work before spending a lot of money on your cat C license ?
Secondly , why leave sales to spend all that time on home delivery ?
Why ask other people to find you work , do it yourself, with sales experience, why ask ?

vikingpete:

christheryder:

Location would be really useful, congratulations on passing your test btw.

I am in Birmingham but looking at the whole West Midlands.

:smiley: :smiley:

toby1234abc:
Why didn’t you research the prospects of future work before spending a lot of money on your cat C license ?
Why ask other people to find you work , do it yourself, with sales experience, why ask ?

Wow!

I took a home delivery job after being made redundant for the 3rd time in as many years and having to provide for my family.

I am asking for an idea of where to start, agencies to try etc.

If you want to have a go why bother replying?

christheryder:

toby1234abc:

Wow!

I took a home delivery job after being made redundant for the 3rd time in as many years and having to provide for my family.

I am asking for an idea of where to start, agencies to try etc.

If you want to have a go why bother replying?

I do not see that as HAVING A GO but perhaps giving a point of view given your experience in sales :question: :question: :bulb:

I have a CV for agencies, that is 1 page long and covers the basics and a proper CV that is 2 pages for proper employers.

Any recent gaps might raise a question from the agency. sometimes agencies are very lazy and just send that CV you gave them, off to potential clients, so bear that in mind.

Each agency branch can be run very differently from others under the same name.

For example Driver Hire Office 1 8 miles from me only offers work via Umbrella Company only
Driver Hire Office 2 about 12 miles from me offers PAYE and Umbrella Company.

I’ve generally had good luck with The Best Connection, Manpower and Extra Staff - But make it clear from the offset what you want in regards to minimum hourly rate and if you want PAYE, LTD or Umbrella (I would recommend avoiding Umbrella personally - Search on this forum why, especially in regards to HMRC and tax)

Oh and make sure you know what hourly rate you are on per job before you accept the work - It usually varies by client in my experience, especially in regards to night work and over time etc.

I passed back in February after the best part of 20 years in sales.
Having some confidence helps but guarantees nothing.

Get your CV out there in person but more importantly, in my experience, register with agencies and don’t be too fussy to start with, the work on offer.

I’ve done a couple of months of dray work in direct employment to start with but not really what I want to do. Since then I’ve done various agency work. I want continuity which I’ve found. Hard and physical graft with nights out but there’s plenty of day work if that’s what you want.

With regard to my previous sales background I get nice feedback from the office and from customers but that’s because I know how to communicate with people. I’m sure there are numerous drivers out there without a sales background who achieve it too. Tenacity is the key. You’ll get some pants days but if you persevere, you’ll be grand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

christheryder:
…should I rewrite my CV to focus only driving experience or just update it?

Would put the driving stuff at the top as its most recent, but keep the whole thing as it shows a more rounded experience.

I wouldn’t expect people to automatically think van driving = excellent class 2 driver, but it certainly cant harm and proves you can graft not just sit on an office and lift a pen.

As for work, usual recommendations are agency or food deliveries. Agencies will give you crap work with 4am phone calls for urgent jobs, but they will give you experience.

Food companies tend to go through a lot of staff and its graft but again it’s experience. Brakes, Creed and similar are good options.

Just hand deliver CVs, make sure you have all cards with you + national insurance number and ideally stuff to work in just incase. Oh and prob wouldn’t turn up in a suit.

WH Smith Distribution Centre in Birmingham take on new HGV Class 2 drivers.

Here’s the location on google maps:

google.co.uk/maps/place/WH+ … -1.8715302