Do truckers get paid while they're waiting to get loaded?

Seems like the obvious answer is yes but maybe it varies from company to company? I’ve watched some trucking vlogs and they sometimes have to wait around for over an hour and I just wondered if they’re getting paid for that. Do you just switch your tacho to “being loaded” or something?

You get paid from the start of the day - until the end of the day. Minus a 45 minute break at some firms.

Anything else is very rare and worthy of contempt. The mode of your tacho doesn’t matter. And there is no loading mode. It’s either other work, POA or break depending on your company and your personal interests.

if you work on the tippers,and are on a percentage…you probably won’t :astonished:

Only waiting an hour? That’s nothing! Anyways… Yes, you get paid. It’s a part of your working day, regardless of what mode you set your tacho to. If companies didn’t pay for loading/unloading or waiting times then they’d have no drivers, after all, who would want to spend 12-15 hours at work but only get paid for half of it?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The above answers apply to most employed drivers. (Excepting Carryfast Yeti`s post). If you are at work, you get paid.

Owner-Drivers, (Owner -Operators) those who own their own vehicle will often be paid per load. For them waiting time generates no income.
Depending on what the contracts says, there may be “demurrage” payable. If a client doesn`t tip or load a vehicle within an agreed time, then a fee is paid to the vehicle owner.

Franglais:
The above answers apply to most employed drivers. (Excepting Carryfast Yeti`s post). If you are at work, you get paid.

Owner-Drivers, (Owner -Operators) those who own their own vehicle will often be paid per load. For them waiting time generates no income.
Depending on what the contracts says, there may be “demurrage” payable. If a client doesn`t tip or load a vehicle within an agreed time, then a fee is paid to the vehicle owner.

How many owner operators do you reckon frequeny the new/learner driver forum? And how many of them don’t know what mode the tacho goes on…

I’d say pretty much always, and the load time is often more than an hour.
We wouldn’t leave people waiting a day or more in the UK, but going abroad we sometimes waited a 2 or 3 days and you were paid 12 hours.

sammym:

Franglais:

How many owner operators do you reckon frequeny the new/learner driver forum? And how many of them don’t know what mode the tacho goes on…

Well here is a (now ex) Operator! As the OP is new, then why not shovel extra information at him? No idea what the mode bit is about, I cant see franglais mentioned the mode.

albion:
We wouldn’t leave people waiting a day or more in the UK, but going abroad we sometimes waited a 2 or 3 days and you were paid 12 hours.

sammym:

Franglais:

Well here is a (now ex) Operator! As the OP is new, then why not shovel extra information at him? No idea what the mode bit is about, I cant see franglais mentioned the mode.

Ta, Albion.
I was assuming the OP was a Newbie who was watching vlogs etc, would be seeing some owner-operators moaning about loosing money while waiting. Thought I would try to show how employed and contracted drivers would look at the same situation differently.
By explaining what TW123 may be seeing, it may become clearer?
We can agree it`s not a “learn how to run a truck in a day” thread.

CookieMonster:
after all, who would want to spend 12-15 hours at work but only get paid for half of it?

The same people who are happy to spend 12-15 hours at work while being paid the same amount as most non-drivers would accept for an 8 hour day…

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Franglais:

albion:

sammym:

Franglais:

Ta, Albion.
I was assuming the OP was a Newbie who was watching vlogs etc, would be seeing some owner-operators moaning about loosing money while waiting. Thought I would try to show how employed and contracted drivers would look at the same situation differently.
By explaining what TW123 may be seeing, it may become clearer?
We can agree it`s not a “learn how to run a truck in a day” thread.

When you put it like that mate - I was out of order and apologize.

It’s good for newbies to understand the business as much as possible.

When transport harass you - it’s because they care about hours where they are not earning, even if the driver is.

sammym:
When you put it like that mate - I was out of order and apologize.

It’s good for newbies to understand the business as much as possible.

When transport harass you - it’s because they care about hours where they are not earning, even if the driver is.

No worries. :smiley:

At risk of even more detail, not necessary for day-to-day driving, but may be interesting to newer drivers, here`s a typical situation.

Brenda has a biscuit making business. She sells her biscuits wholesale to various retailers.
Sids Supermarket buys twenty pallets of her biscuits, and wants them delivered into his warehouse on the 10th at 10hr00. Brenda has a contract with Harry the Haulier to deliver her biccies. So, she phones him to tell him of the order. Harry sends in his new driver Daisy on the 9th to load. Daisy gets to Sids on time. But has to wait in a queue to tip.
Daisy is getting paid to sit there and wait. Brenda has sold her biscuits. Sids forkie is busy tipping loads off other trucks. Harry has another load lined up for Daisy, but she cant do it until she tips.

OK, all simple stuff.
Firstly Daisy rings Harry to say she is delayed. Now Harry will ring Brenda, say his truck is delayed, and she will get a bill for it. (It is normal to get all these charges thrashed out early on) Brenda should have agreed with Sid about delivery times and will tell him that he will have to pay her extra. Sid runs out of his office and shouts at his Fred his fork truck driver to tip Daisy.
Fred gets the hump with Daisy.
Harry gets calls about delays every day but since it is only half an hour herenthere he doesnt actually charge Brenda, as she pays well. Brenda doesnt moan too much to Sid. There are other biscuit makers and he could buy elsewhere.

Still relatively simple.

When Harry gets busy he may employ a “subbie” maybe an owner-driver to deliver the biscuits.
Sid may get bigger and use a contract warehousing company.
The chain gets longer, contracts may vary or be badly written. Drivers may be near legal working hour limits. Tempers become frayed.
Welcome to transport.

TruckerWannabe123:
Seems like the obvious answer is yes but maybe it varies from company to company? I’ve watched some trucking vlogs and they sometimes have to wait around for over an hour and I just wondered if they’re getting paid for that. Do you just switch your tacho to “being loaded” or something?

It’s usually 2-3 hours on shipping containers.

Can be longer.

A lovely part of the day when one is sitting about getting paid to sleep.