Rich2012:
I worked for 5hr 56mins then had a 42 min break. If my whole shift was 8hrs 10mins including the 42 mins would this satisfy the wtd regulation or should I have took anther 15min?

In total you done a shift of 7 hours and 28 minutes of working time

You had 15 minutes for your 6 hours but only 27 minutes for your 6-9 hours.

You should take another 15 minutes, because you have worked 6-9 hours, you need at LEAST a 30 min break, which can be split into 2 breaks of at LEAST 15 minutes. another 15 minutes within the 6-9 hours will cover you.

I thort because I took 30mins break, 15 mins would cover me for upto the 6 hours wtd and the other 15 mins would cover me for the 6-9 hours wtd.

Rich2012:
I worked for 5hr 56mins then had a 42 min break. If my whole shift was 8hrs 10mins including the 42 mins would this satisfy the wtd regulation

YES/PERFECT :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

scadden:

INCORRECT
Driver must not work for more than 6 hours without a 15 min break = complied with in full
For working between 6 and 9 hours the total break must be 30 mins which CAN be in one go or split into 2 x 15s = complied with in full

Rich2012:
I worked for 5hr 56mins then had a 42 min break. If my whole shift was 8hrs 10mins including the 42 mins would this satisfy the wtd regulation or should I have took anther 15min?

Yes you did right :smiley:

If your total working time was more than 6 hours but not more than 9 hours you needed a total of 30 minutes break/breaks, so what you did was perfectly legal.

scadden:

You should take another 15 minutes, because you have worked 6-9 hours, you need at LEAST a 30 min break, which can be split into 2 breaks of at LEAST 15 minutes. another 15 minutes within the 6-9 hours will cover you.

The 15 minutes for the 6 hour rule counts towards the total breaks needed for the shift.

All breaks of 15 minutes or more duration count for the WTD including driving breaks.

So I’ve done it correct then? Wasn’t sure if the 2nd 6-9 period was satisfied because I took the 42 mins in the first period upto 6 hrs

Rich2012:
So I’ve done it correct then? Wasn’t sure if the 2nd 6-9 period was satisfied because I took the 42 mins in the first period upto 6 hrs

As long as you don’t do more than 6 hours working time without a break of 15 minutes or more you can have the breaks at anytime in the shift except for the immediate start or end of shift.

Upto 4 hours work, no break needed
4-6 hours, 15 min break needed
6-9 hours, another 15 minutes
9-12 hours another 15 minutes.
These breaks can be taken all at once or split in to 15s to satisfy WTD, however if it’s a driving break it can only be a 45 minute or split into 15 then 30 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

CookieMonster:
These breaks can be taken all at once or split in to 15s to satisfy WTD, however if it’s a driving break it can only be a 45 minute or split into 15 then 30 minutes.

• Up-to 6 hours working time, no break required.
  • If the shift is up-to 9 hours working time a total of 30 minutes break must be taken and 15 minutes of the 30 minute break must be started before going over 6 hours working time.
  • If the shift is more than 9 hours working time a total of 45 minutes break/breaks must be taken, as long as you don’t go over 6 hours working time without a break you can take the breaks whenever you want.

(Caveat to the above: breaks at the immediate start or end of the shift do not count for t he WTD)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=141623&p=2230335#p2230335

CookieMonster:

This example is a 15 hour shift where the driving does not go above 4.5 hours so only WTD breaks needed

This is a 100% legal example which can be reversed

work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 6 hrs
break 15 mins
work 2 hrs
break 15 mins
work 15 mins

scadden:

It’s amazing how many people are still getting this so wrong.

That and the other popular incorrect one of having to take 30mins before 6hrs

CookieMonster:

CM just curious, where did you get the 4hr thing from?

Reef:

scadden:

CookieMonster:

CM just curious, where did you get the 4hr thing from?

I used to do retail work for several different companies when I was a lot younger, they all used the same excuse for denying us a break, not being entitled to one unless you worked over 4 hours. If I’d only heard it once I would have thought it was ■■■■■■■■, but I heard it so many times from so many places I just began thinking there must be some truth in it. Although this link seems to lend it some credence citizensinformation.ie/en/e … reaks.html

This one also suggests that a break is only needed for shifts of 6 hours or more
gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

Reef:

scadden:

So this flash card is wrong? because the way I’m reading it, up to 6 hours, you have to have 15 minutes, then if you go and do an extra 3 hours you have to have a 30 min break (or 2x15minutes)

CookieMonster:
citizensinformation.ie/en/e … reaks.html

This one also suggests that a break is only needed for shifts of 6 hours or more
gov.uk/rest-breaks-work

The first link is about the general WTD, drivers work to the road transport WTD.

Sent from my mobile.

@ scadden

The card isn’t wrong but the way you’re reading it is wrong.
Though to be fair it’s not particularly clear.

The break for the 6 hour rule is included in the total break required for the shift

Sent from my mobile.

I don’t get why so many people think you have to have an ‘extra’ 30 minutes worth of breaks for shifts between 6-9 hours. If that was the case, surely you’d have to take an ‘extra’ 45 for shifts over 9 hours. That means 90 minutes worth of breaks for a 9+ hour shift. As much as I’d like that to be true, sadly it isn’t.

So say I drove for 4.5hrs I would have to take a 45min break, would this satisfy the wtd up until 8 hrs where I would need to take another?

Rich2012:
So say I drove for 4.5hrs I would have to take a 45min break, would this satisfy the wtd up until 8 hrs where I would need to take another?

45 minute break would cover you up to 12 hours working

CookieMonster:

Rich2012:

45 minute break would cover you up to 12 hours working

It would as long as you complied with the 6 hour rule.

If you have a 45 minute break when you’ve been working/driving for 4.5 hours you would need another 15 minute break before going over 6 hours working time from the end of the 45 minute break.

Sent from my mobile.