Digital tachograph card download machine options

Been doing some agency tramping work and due to late Friday finishing I’ve not been able to download my card as regularly as necessary. Can I buy a download machine and just do it myself? I have an iPhone/iPad all the time and weekend access to my laptop. Transport Manager starts after I’ve left the depot on a Monday and he has the card machine so I can’t access they easily. Any pointers appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

danbabirecki:
Been doing some agency tramping work and due to late Friday finishing I’ve not been able to download my card as regularly as necessary. Can I buy a download machine and just do it myself? I have an iPhone/iPad all the time and weekend access to my laptop. Transport Manager starts after I’ve left the depot on a Monday and he has the card machine so I can’t access they easily. Any pointers appreciated

As long as you make your card available for download it isn’t your problem. Legally it needs downloading once every 28 days.

I know the 28 days thing. Problem I have with transport company I’ve been working for is that I start before the machine can be accessed and until now I’ve finished after the guy who has the machine has gone home ( it’s accessed via his laptop I believe). I appreciate it’s specific to this company but there is a chance of on-going agency work with them and therefore card download could be an on-going problem too. If I could download it myself I’d be happy share the info with the Transport Manager of course. I just would like to know if this an option available to me.

As I said it’s the company’s responsibility to download the card end of. You make it available if they take the machine away and don’t make it avaialbel it isn’t your problem.

danbabirecki:
I know the 28 days thing. Problem I have with transport company I’ve been working for is that I start before the machine can be accessed and until now I’ve finished after the guy who has the machine has gone home ( it’s accessed via his laptop I believe). I appreciate it’s specific to this company but there is a chance of on-going agency work with them and therefore card download could be an on-going problem too. If I could download it myself I’d be happy share the info with the Transport Manager of course. I just would like to know if this an option available to me.

As has already been said, it’s not your responsibility to download data from your card. Your responsibility ends with you making your card available. You will not be in any trouble from DVSA etc if your card has not been downloaded (but the company would have the problem of “missing” miles and gaps in their drivers’ hours records). It really is not your problem. Don’t worry about it.

As an aside, if the company downloads your card even 2, 3, 4 or months later, all the “missing” data will magically appear in their records (assuming you’ve not been issued a new card in the meantime…)

Just to repeat - its not your problem.

Thank you. That’s the nugget of info I needed. I carry my card in my wallet anytime it’s not in the tachograph unit. I surpassed 28 days on Friday just gone as I’ve worked for this company for 3 weeks and the job before that was an ad-hoc hiring of a driver and truck but not from a transport yard. I was worried about my liability. I guess a printout might be an idea if it happens again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard that the card can probably hold a year or two of data technically. I use it as per the job but can’t help it if I can’t access the card machine. Was worried it was on me. Glad to know that if I’m holding up my end it’s not on me. They don’t teach this stuff when you go for your licence. This forum is very helpful. Thank you to all that help.

danbabirecki:
Thank you. That’s the nugget of info I needed. I carry my card in my wallet anytime it’s not in the tachograph unit. I surpassed 28 days on Friday just gone as I’ve worked for this company for 3 weeks and the job before that was an ad-hoc hiring of a driver and truck but not from a transport yard. I was worried about my liability. I guess a printout might be an idea if it happens again

What purpose would a printout serve? The info regarding your driving/working/Rest/Break times is all on your card. If ever DVSA or Police stop you they can download it all from your card.

It’s NOT your problem.

Thank you! As I say, no tuition given. Relying on helpful folk like yourself. I hear you my friend.

As an extra note - even if you got your own card reader to download the card you can’t share that info with the company your working for anyway.

It doesn’t work like that.

I have my own Tachomaster setup at home but it’s for my own personal use, I still have to let company download my card and if they don’t it’s not my problem! I can’t export the card file and simply give them it

At our place we did have an issue similar to yours but they bought a card reader that has a battery in it so if we get back after office lot have scarpered it’s there so we download our cards and then later they connect it to the PC to update company records

Can’t you suggest something similar?

Make sure you log in perhaps a diary of the times and dates you made your card available for download and the reason why it was not if you know that

dcgpx:
At our place we did have an issue similar to yours but they bought a card reader that has a battery in it so if we get back after office lot have scarpered it’s there so we download our cards and then later they connect it to the PC to update company records

Why would he do that (unless he wanted to promote himself up the arse-licking leaderboard)? It’s not his problem.

They don’t teach this stuff when you go for your licence.

That is, unfortunately, is the industry norm. We include, at no charge, a 4 hour “Introduction to drivers hours and tachos” course in our Starter Pack. It’s incredible how many folks dont turn up as it doesn’t affect their chances of passing the driving test! Just a bit short-sighted IMO.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Roymondo:

dcgpx:

Why would he do that (unless he wanted to promote himself up the arse-licking leaderboard)? It’s not his problem.

It wasn’t to earn brownie points , it was simply a suggestion to solve the problem.

If no one suggests improvements then that’s why the industry stays stagnant [emoji108]

I’m just trying to keep on the correct side of the rules. Got back yesterday to confirm a WTD issue and the transport manager was slightly unsure himself. He thinks my interpretation is correct. It’s a minefield. On the plus side I downloaded my digicard

By the way, Rog… I do exactly as you suggest with the noting the unavailability of downloading my card when it’s occurred.

danbabirecki:
By the way, Rog… I do exactly as you suggest with the noting the unavailability of downloading my card when it’s occurred.

Doing that has you covered legally :smiley:

Suggestions was what are needed, whether it be a manual written notation or a download on a download machine I’ve purchased. Thank you for the positive advice from those who gave it.

danbabirecki:
Suggestions was what are needed, whether it be a manual written notation or a download on a download machine I’ve purchased. Thank you for the positive advice from those who gave it.

As far as I can see the only realistic suggestion is for the transport company to make arrangements for you to have your card downloaded.

• It’s their problem not yours.
  • It’s them who are not complying with the regulations not you.
  • It’s them who will face a possible penalty not you.
  • Though unless something serious happens there probably won’t be any penalties for anyone* :slight_smile: [/*:m][/list:u]

Honestly, if it was me I might bring it to their attention that my card isn’t being downloaded then I’d just get on with my life and leave them to find a solution to their problem.

Like much stuff to do with “our job,” there is a lot to think about but not this,

Road Tax
Operator Licences
Insurance
MOT
Driver Card Download
Tachograph Head Download
Tacho Inspections
Daily Planning
Inspection Intervals.

Not your bag!

So whats in your bag?
Tyres
Oil
Fuel
Lights
Load Security
Number Plate
Air Leaks
Safety Items
Drivers Hours
Weekly Rest.

Its basic but its a list of things to worry about and the top list is things not to worry about! :smiley: