Career Change Part Time Work

Hi guys.
Can I tap into your experience please :
Few questions :
1.I am 49 years old and looking to get my Class 2 licence with a view to changing career in a few years time .
I have a 4 day a week job , which I cant quit yet.
So , my idea is to get my licence and maybe work once/twice per week on a Wednesday and Saturday to build up experience . Besides , I can’t wait to get into it.
Do you think its possible to do part time on specific days ?
Would it have to be agency work ?
Do some companies hire on this basis ?

2.What is the going hourly rate for a new driver in the East of England ?

3.Anyone know of a good Training Center in the Norwich/Diss/Thetford area of Norfolk ?

Thanks very much for any and all inputs .

I’m in the east mids and drive class2 on an ad hoc basis some weekends so it should be do able. I think the rate varies per client. I can recommend Peter smythe training and I think they include B&B if your not local. Good luck.
Just keep track of your hours.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Thanks spaceman
Puts my mind at rest . Will definitely try

BTW I think it took me six months from passing to get my first weekend shift ( tried. A few agencies) but once one is done more soon follow. Good luck

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Do you work 4 regular days or does it change each week :question:

Remember that in general you need 2 days off together every other week for the rest regs

I am in the same area. Trained with East Coast Norwich at the age of 50, wanted career change. Done containers from Felixstow every other weekend through agency. Although got class 1 I started on a permanent class 2 job but gave that up, too many trolleys, heavy work. Now 55 and on class 1 tanker work, best thing I did.

ROG:

Remember that in general you need 2 days off together every other week for the rest regs

I am doing 4 days currently , but can drop a day if I wanted . But the 2 days off , together , every other week is a bit of a pain.
Will bear that in mind . Thanks

Basilpot:
I am in the same area. Trained with East Coast Norwich at the age of 50, wanted career change. Done containers from Felixstow every other weekend through agency. Although got class 1 I started on a permanent class 2 job but gave that up, too many trolleys, heavy work. Now 55 and on class 1 tanker work, best thing I did.

Thats the plan … give or take a year or two

aleksusy:

ROG:

I am doing 4 days currently , but can drop a day if I wanted . But the 2 days off , together , every other week is a bit of a pain.
Will bear that in mind .
I am thinking of working Monday , Wednesday and Friday at my other job and see if I can drive Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday .
There are a couple of Logistics firms close to where I live. Maybe they will have something that will suit all .
If not - agency

aleksusy:
Will bear that in mind .
I am thinking of working Monday , Wednesday and Friday at my other job and see if I can drive Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday .
There are a couple of Logistics firms close to where I live. Maybe they will have something that will suit all .
If not - agency

You could not do that legally every week because you need to have a 45 hour weekly rest period at-least every second week, also as you’ll be driving HGVs every week you will need to pay back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest periods you have on alternate weeks.

If your current working days are flexible your best bet would be to work in your usual job three or four consecutive days then you could legally drive HGVs a day or two days every week without having to bother about compensation for reduced weekly rest periods.
Alternatively if you work in your usual job three consecutive days you could drive HGVs three days on week then two the next week and have a long weekend every few weeks to pay back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest periods.

Doing part time work you are likely to find that you have to work through an agency, you may get lucky with a local company but realistically as a new part time HGV driver you’re likely to be stuck with agency work.

Whichever way you turn it round having three or four consecutive days availability is more likely to get you some HGV driving work than having odd days availability.

All of this is based on the assumption that your current regular job is not working for a road transport company ?

You may want to read up on The Driver Hours and Tachograph Regulations

Good luck :wink: