New pass class 2 offered 7.5 ton

Hi all new class 2 driver here no experience just been offered a 7.5 ton job how would that affect my experience regarding class 2 sorry for short post at work

Other than showing your willingness to work I don’t think it would have any bearing at all. There’s many drivers who do 7.5T work on their pre-1997 car licence.

Its a foot in the door, if they need a class 2 driver when someone doesnt turn up.

Zac_A:
Other than showing your willingness to work I don’t think it would have any bearing at all. There’s many drivers who do 7.5T work on their pre-1997 car licence.

thanks

shullbit:
Its a foot in the door, if they need a class 2 driver when someone doesnt turn up.

yes this is what i am thinking. thanks

lee-gray987:
how would that affect my experience regarding class 2

Positively

Par for the course. Gets you experience of the haulage industry.
Will also build your confidence of driving a bigger vehicle.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

cheers for the advice, helped alot.

So long as the 7.5 job is a good un, why not?
Road experience is good in any vehicle. Work experience is good.
You may have an ambition to drive a bigger vehicle, but don’t knock a good job in a little truck for a bad job in a big truck.

Franglais:
You may have an ambition to drive a bigger vehicle, but don’t knock a good job in a little truck for a bad job in a big truck.

Sorry maybe I should add I do have 25 years work experience and 15 years driving experience not in the transport industry though (property maintenance) driving a transit van.

lee-gray987:

Franglais:

Sorry maybe I should add I do have 25 years work experience and 15 years driving experience not in the transport industry though (property maintenance) driving a transit van.

Sorry. I was assuming you were new to the workplace.
If the 7.5 ton job is good, in it’sown right go for it.

Franglais:

lee-gray987:

Franglais:

Sorry. I was assuming you were new to the workplace.
If the 7.5 ton job is good, in it’sown right go for it.

Not sure yet agency quoting class 2 wage (first time speaking to an agency ) heard they can ■■■■■■■■ a bit haha

Is there much difference between the two with hourly rate

No hard and fast rules.
I’ve no recent experiences with agencies, and will happily stay that way.
A good van job can be better than a bad artic job. Just keep an open mind, I’d suggest.

I’m in the same boat pal. New pass and been offered 7.5ton work.

I guess its experience of the transport industry and doing drops, using a taco etc in a bigger vehicle even if not a class 2 or 1.

As a now ex boss, I’d say it counts as a plus. Its experience and if the place that are offering you 7.5 also have class 2, then like as not you’ll be moving up.

Benja2802:

I guess its experience of the transport industry and doing drops, using a taco etc in a bigger vehicle even if not a class 2 or 1.

albion:
As a now ex boss, I’d say it counts as a plus. Its experience and if the place that are offering you 7.5 also have class 2, then like as not you’ll be moving up.

Franglais:
No hard and fast rules.
A good van job can be better than a bad artic job. Just keep an open mind, I’d suggest.

thanks everyone. i think ill take the plunge as it is a big company with a good reputation, and they do have class 1, class 2.

Good luck with whatever you decide Benja2802 mate

Good luck to you both. The worst outcome, is you get a bit experience in transport.
It’s generally said that you regret the chances you didn’t take, rather than the ones you did!

Passed class 2 - and took anything and everything that paid and gave me experience.

Passed class 1 and did the same.

Shift today was class 1 general haulage. Shift day before was meant to be van work… Turned out to be driving nearly new Land Rover Defenders back from Glastonbury for the hire company. So was actually car work. As long as it pays the bills I care not.

I won’t do multi-drop with handball - but the size of the vehicle really doesn’t concern me. I’ve driven nearly all combinations of artics and rigids now. And the biggest are neither the hardest or most interesting to drive.

lee-gray987:

Benja2802:

albion:

Franglais:
No hard and fast rules.

thanks everyone. i think ill take the plunge as it is a big company with a good reputation, and they do have class 1, class 2.

Good luck with whatever you decide Benja2802 mate

If they are a decent company, I’d say definitely go for it. We had a van driver that did his class 1 without telling anyone until he passed. He was a good lad, so soon as a vacancy on an artic came up, we moved him into those.

Good luck.