Finally passed my Cat C (3rd attempt)

Thanks all, and great story CookieMonster. I felt bad failing it twice but my dad kept telling me his mate took 6 attempts (maybe he’s you? :laughing:) to pass his class 2 and that he kept trying as he really wanted it.

I failed my first test with two serious, one was lane positioning on a small roundabout (I was in the left, and took a right on the roundabout - don’t ask why :blush:) and the second was I went through an amber traffic light which just went red before I had cleared it. I was doing 30 towards the light which had been green for some time, didn’t ease off early enough, saw the lights change and made a split second decision to floor it rather than slam the brakes on… I was annoyed but it was completely my fault so I only had myself to blame.

Rebooked a second test a for few weeks after the first, failed it within 2 minutes. Answered the questions correctly, started doing the reverse, didn’t put enough steer on and was focusing too much on my wheel not going over the solid line, lost sight of one of the cones and ran it over. Absolutely gutted. Confidence completely gone.

After that I didn’t know whether I was good enough, I considered jacking it in but had spent a fair amount of money so that was not a good option and I really wanted to do this! Decided to do an hours assessment drive with another training company a couple of weeks later in my home city, just to see what they thought of my driving and whether it was any easier in a familiar place… was told I basically needed to redo the whole training and was doing nearly everything wrong… righto.

After some reflection I rebooked a third test where I originally trained, was nervous but booked additional training a couple of days before the test and on the test day. This helped massively… one thing the examiner said to me after my first fail was that I was rushing, which was true… I took a step back and slowed things down… improved my timing of mirror checks, eased off and covered the brake coming up to traffic lights, slowed down more if the road was bumpy/bendy… On the test I relaxed, nailed the questions and reverse, had a really good drive, felt confident and finally passed with one minor which was for anticipation – there was a tight bend in the road and a bus was coming, I didn’t slow down enough in case the bus didn’t move over (fortunately he did) which would have meant kerbing it or stopping suddenly.

The real experience will come from driving day in day out on my own… the test just shows you can drive to that standard but just like with your car test, when you pass that you’re still learning for months/years afterwards with different scenarios.

Sorry to ramble on, just thought maybe somebody might find it interesting. :slight_smile: In all honesty, I think failing the first (and maybe second) test helped me to look at how I was driving and make adjustments which allowed me to pass.

Class 1 training is now booked for August, really looking forward to it! :smiley: