Driving Experience Requirement for a Wannabe HGV Driver

Hi all,

I’m a former student here who dropped out of Uni recently after once I wasn’t even trying or cared about my degree, I just went for the social aspect.

Anyway I’m looking into getting into HGV driving as I think its something stable that really suits me as I’m a fairly solitary person as it is plus i need money of course.

Ive thought it through and I really think the work suits me and I’d be happy doing it but my main concern is my lack of driving experience. Is it realistic o go straight from getting my drivers licence into getting my HGV training and then going on to get a job driving? Or do most workplaces expect a certain level of experience on the road prior to getting :slight_smile: :slight_smile: HGV qualifications?

Cheers

Driving is a dead end job, not to ■■■■ on your fireworks but that’s the harsh truth.

Pass the test and I don’t foresee any problems getting work, they are falling all over themselves in e.mids for drivers.

You may have issues because when you’re a new pass, they want you to have held your license 2 years. You may have to do something else for a while before you get a start

johnteller:
Driving is a dead end job, not to ■■■■ on your fireworks but that’s the harsh truth.

Pass the test and I don’t foresee any problems getting work, they are falling all over themselves in e.mids for drivers.

You may have issues because when you’re a new pass, they want you to have held your license 2 years. You may have to do something else for a while before you get a start

Working a dead end job on £10,000 a year currently mate, at least driving has a livable pay. Student debt looming over my head with no career prospects and a useless failed degree so I’d consider myself lucky to get a job driving. But if its 2 years they expect hen I guess that’s a no go then, back to the drawing board I guess

It’s not all doom and gloom, there’s always plenty of work out there. A lot of companies want people with experience, but you can get work with agencies. If you don’t mind what you do, you can keep yourself busy and earn a living, and if you get placed somewhere on a longer term basis then there’s always a chance they might offer you a permanent job, just need to get your foot in the door

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just keep looking, there is always someone who will take you on without experience, I went on the roadsweepers with go plant,it was rubbish but at least i was earning, but i kept looking while i was there and found something else within a month and i have been there 2 and half years now.

kpoint8033:

johnteller:

Working a dead end job on £10,000 a year currently mate, at least driving has a livable pay. Student debt looming over my head with no career prospects and a useless failed degree so I’d consider myself lucky to get a job driving. But if its 2 years they expect hen I guess that’s a no go then, back to the drawing board I guess

It’s not impossible to get a start as a new pass and wages will be much better than your on now even in low paid driving jobs. And the hours you will rack up will rack up your money as well.

Location seems to dictate hourly rate to an extent in the country.

Your best bet might be to use agency for a few months when you get your licence, just to get some experience, then find something more regular after that.

Just from my own experience, a lot of airport work can be a bit not great, so agencies supplying those types of companies will sometimes look the other way when it comes to experience.
My first Class 2 job was on agency at Gatwick Airport supposedly you needed 2 years experience but they gave me a driving assessment (Question on tacho rules, highway code and see if I could reverse onto a bay as well as a 3 point turn) and I was set.

There are people that gave posted on this board who have got a start pretty quickly. It’s always harder as a new pass, but far from impossible.

We have given new starts jobs and we were considered a good place to work at.

I

Started a year ago no experience whatsoever, apart from a car licence. Got job 2 days after registering with an agency.
Just register with a couple in your area and youll be fine :slight_smile:

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kpoint8033:
Ive thought it through and I really think the work suits me and I’d be happy doing it but my main concern is my lack of driving experience. Is it realistic o go straight from getting my drivers licence into getting my HGV training and then going on to get a job driving? Or do most workplaces expect a certain level of experience on the road prior to getting :slight_smile: :slight_smile: HGV qualifications?

If I’m understanding this correctly you’ve either not yet passed the car test or have recently passed the car test, if that’s correct I would say you may find it harder than most to find work driving HGVs.

There are employers who will take on a new HGV pass but I’m not sure how many employers would take on someone who’s only just passed the car test and now wants to drive HGVs.