Newly passed now when to take the plunge

Hello guys

I have just passed my cat C test 3rd time lucky
However I am actually happy in my current office job coming out with some good money and I don’t want to leave just yet. I’m a big believer in if it’s not broke dont fix it.

Is it going to be really hard for me to get my first drivers job if let’s say in 5 years I finally decide to take the plunge? I guess I did all this as a back up incase my current job goes ■■■■ up. i have been told i can go back to do refreshers course, would companies take this into consideration?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

I wouldn’t bother

You could do the odd day on agency…to get a feel for the job.

:smiley: :smiley:

Dcfcxdougie:
Hello guys

However I am actually happy in my current office job coming out with some good money and I don’t want to leave just yet. I’m a big believer in if it’s not broke dont fix it.

Is it going to be really hard for me to get my first drivers job if let’s say in 5 years I finally decide to take the plunge? I guess I did all this as a back up incase my current job goes ■■■■ up. i have been told i can go back to do refreshers course, would companies take this into consideration?

You’re pretty much in the same boat I was.
I didn’t bother looking for a job driving until 5 years after i’d passed mine and even then it was odd weekend work for extra dough.

You don’t say how old you are but if you’re still in your twenties i’d say you can afford to sit on it a few years but equally one thing i wish i’d done was get out there and get a feel for what you’re looking to let yourself in for.

I’d never discourage anyone from trying driving as a career but this job isn’t for everybody and if it isn’t for you it’s better to find that out sooner rather than later… at least if you’re still young enough it’d leave you with a bit of breathing room if you wanted to train for something else!

SaintAndy:

Dcfcxdougie:
Hello guys

I didn’t bother looking for a job driving until 5 years after i’d passed mine and even then it was odd weekend work for extra dough.

You don’t say how old you are but if you’re still in your twenties i’d say you can afford to sit on it a few years but equally one thing i wish i’d done was get out there and get a feel for what you’re looking to let yourself in for.

I’d never discourage anyone from trying driving as a career but this job isn’t for everybody and if it isn’t for you it’s better to find that out sooner rather than later… at least if you’re still young enough it’d leave you with a bit of breathing room if you wanted to train for something else!

yeah im 26 atm, what sort of things put you off? what makes you say this job isnt for everyone?

and sound advice thank you.

If you’re happy in your current employment, then why try and fix something that isn’t broke. You’ve passed your Cl2 and some would see that as a waste of money if it’s not going to be used, but that’s your decision.
There no issue with you trying the odd day here and there through agencies, but some of that work can be pretty grimm and give you a false outlook of the industry, which isn’t what you need, you’re looking for the reassurance that making the move from office to cab is right.
It’s incorrect to say the industry isn’t for everybody, but more along the lines of not everybody suits the industry, I think that’s down to expectations of what the industry has to offer, it’s not all cb’s, convoys and cowboy hats :laughing: the industry has a wide and varied range of work it undertakes, and finding that niche that suits you could take several attempts or you could fall lucky with the first attempt.
It’s the inability to find the right niche that makes the industry not for everyone.

Don’t be put off by someone else’s bad experiences, if we were all the same this would be a really ■■■■■■ place to live :wink:

Dcfcxdougie:

SaintAndy:

Dcfcxdougie:
Hello guys

yeah im 26 atm, what sort of things put you off? what makes you say this job isnt for everyone?

and sound advice thank you.

Despite getting the licence I was in my comfort zone and very reluctant to move out of it! Grumpy Dad about covered it as to why the person sometimes doesn’t suit the industry. Personally I’ve worked for the same firm now for nearly 5 years it was my third driving job I tried and some would say statistically that’s pretty lucky I’ve known guys on agency go through a dozen different employers before they’ve found something palatable to them to stick full time.

Dcfcxdougie:
Hello guys

I was in the same position as you, although I knew I actually wanted to drive trucks instead and it didn’t help being stuck in an office seeing all the trucks going in and out. The company I was with started talking about redundancy but they didn’t know what they were going to do with the team, I have a young family so figured bugger this and got back behidn the wheel. I love it.