HGV Training Vehicle O Licensing

I have an o Licence, if I want to purchase a vehicle exclusively for driver training does it need to be added to my o Licence. 1) to train my own drivers 2) to train other drivers. It will not be used for hire or reward, carry a load (other than for the requirement of tests).
For note the vehicle would be for Cat C training so therefore over 12ton.

Your training vehicle falls within the exemption for O licencing so it would have no effect on any current O licence. Personally, I believe that training vehicles should be O licenced and this would improve the standards within the industry. But that’s not the issue here.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

It wouldn’t be included on your operator licence but would require maintenance check sheets and to be roadworthy.

I remember having a “fleet check” and they pulled the old van I used for work over the pit, plus an old trailer that was clearly unloved and unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would be wise to keep maintenance records and, obviously, ensure it’s roadworthy. It will reflect on your existing operation if found to be dodgy. I have serious issues with some driving schools who dont run with safety checks and simply get the truck sorted for MOT. The sooner the exemption is scrubbed, the better IMO

Pete :laughing: :laughing: .