Complete Newbie - Looking for Advice/Opinions

So I’m 26 and work at Tesco earning around 14-15k a year. It has been my only “proper” job so I am rather scared of leaving in the fear of going to something that I don’t like. I am wanting to get out of there as it is a dead-end job & living payslip to payslip with about £1100 every 4 weeks…

I have stumbled upon a HGV training course with hgvtrainingnetwork.com (I think they are the same as North West HGV Training?), where obviously they finance your training and you repay back once employed. I have been driving a car for about 6 years and that’s all I have so I would be working my way up right from the bottom. I have spoken to a guy who said drivers with no experience can get around 20k, going up to max of around 38k for experienced artics. He has said that a lot of people have done these courses and it has changed their lives. I have never thought “Oh I’d like to be a lorry driver”, however I have always had the interest of driving one and I do enjoy driving? I have a bit of a speech impediment so my vocal skills aren’t great, and I am also a rather skinny and non-built guy.

So I have a few questions really…

• Is this company trusted & well known?
  • Is there a lot of phone calls and vocal things to do? Obviously I would hopefully get used to this…
  • And kind of just a general “Should I go for it?” question.

I am hoping for some genuine replies from experienced and inexperienced drivers, with stories and good/bad parts about the job? Any form of advice or information is huuuuuuugely appreciated, as this is both a scary and massive step in my life/career.

Firstly I would defo not go with a broker you will pay double to train with a provider you can arrange yourself. Also they will mess you around and make the process more difficult than it has to be. I don’t think having a speech impediment or being skinny will make any difference in driving a truck. I would say though if you don’t really want to do it don’t waste your money and do something else.

That’s just my opinion. It’s your choice mate

Newcastle22:
Firstly I would defo not go with a broker you will pay double to train with a provider you can arrange yourself. Also they will mess you around and make the process more difficult than it has to be. I don’t think having a speech impediment or being skinny will make any difference in driving a truck. I would say though if you don’t really want to do it don’t waste your money and do something else.

That’s just my opinion. It’s your choice mate

I’m limited financially, I think I would have to go through some sort of finance as I have next to no savings right now.

hgvtrainingnetwork.com/

HGV training in the UK at over 100 locations

BROKER ALERT :exclamation:

Never book or pay until you have seen the vehicles and perhaps met the instructors UNLESS loads say they are brilliant such as the forum sponsor for example

I would think very hard before signing up to any financial offer’s, I got stung and now owe 2.5k as soon as I start earning over 21k…In the end I financed the training myself.
You have the advantage of age and there seem to be alot of companies now offering training schemes, you may have to bite the bullet and except minimum wage whilke you train, but this should go up when you pass…go on the web and look up all your local haulage firms see if they offer training…

I’m in the south west and wages seem to be between £9 - £15 an hour for class 2 driver’s and there does seem to be plenty of work out there, obviously some require experience other’s will take newly qualified driver’s.
Try and take your lessons and test in a manual truck or you could find yourself in the position I did yesterday and facing a splitter box for the first time during your job interview…:slight_smile: Good luck though…

I was limited financially so I saved up. It’s upto you, do your research and go for whatever method your happy with. Some training providers do offer finance. Go and speak to some local training providers not flashy websites promising you jobs and the like

Hi,
Where you are in the UK will dictate your possible pay rates, not to put a downer on things, it just is generally that way - There’s some exceptions

Have you done any kind of driving work in the past? Even if deliverying for take aways etc? Being given addresses and time frames isn’t that different really. Have you thought about doing supermarket residential type deliveries driving with a 3.5T luton as some experience?

In regards to money, I mean no disrespect, but have you considered moving to Aldi or Waitrose? As far as I understand, they pay their staff around £10 an hour, which isn’t much different to some Class 2 jobs for a new pass in parts of the UK.

I would avoid brokers if I was you. You generally don’t get a choice in where you train and you generally pay much more through a broker.

I believe some training companies such as PSTT, the forum sponsor do a 0% credit offer…I don’t know the details but that might be an option for you

Have you created an account on Experian or Clerscore? They will give you a free credit rating and show you credit card offers - Some might give you 0% interest for a certain amount of time, for you to fund your own training, then pay it off as you earn.

As for being skinny, I’ve met drivers of all walks of life so far. You’ll come accross a few foreign drivers, some speak great English and some don’t speak a word and it becomes a game of Charades…So if you can understand and listen to English ok, you’ll be ok. I’ve found there is very little phone work involved with driving - The only time the phones rings is if they want to change your route/next drop etc - Where a simple “ok” or “no” will suffice

Training around this time of year, will give you a few months experience before the Christmas rush (Brexit depending I guess) where you’ll find employers and agencies will forget you need 2 years experience, as they’ll be desperate to get bums in seats.

When I first did my Class 2 training, I treated it as an insurance policy, whatever happened, I could always fall back to finding work with that if needs be. I then got my Class 1 and been fairly content since.

If you aren’t bothered about time, Have you considered becoming a postman for Royal Mail? After a few years in, they’ll likely train you up to 7.5T then Class 2 then finally Class 1 after many years…Things are changing in Royal Mail so I’m not sure if they still train internally these days…

I worked for Sainsburys until last year, did my class 1&2 and left in April 2018. Best thing I did and I was taken on straight away pulling for Sainsburys. Pay is £13.92 an hour with time and half for any hours over contracted. Night premium is £1.90 between 6pm and 6am.

Absolutely worth it [emoji106]

PS. I financed it myself as brokers were too expensive

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Just so you know I am reading every comment but I just don’t want to floor the forum with replies.

I am based in the North West. I will have a look into the costs involved, the lad I spoke to said you pay around £80 a month back over 48 months, which works out at just under 4k - but I didn’t ask whether that includes the medical and whatever exams etc.

I literally have 0 experience in terms of driving as a delivery driver. Delivering for Tesco on Dot Com is something that I have thought of, but I’m sure you already need your license beforehand.

The way the company is going I think I want to get out and be well clear from it and from my past experience I think I am coming to my limit of retail work so I’m not planning on moving to Aldi or anything else.

I will definitely look into PSTT if that is the case or a 0% credit card as I am already on Clearscore. I have noticed what some of the drivers are like when they pull up in works back yard haha, a few of them only know one word at that is “toilet” :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you for all replying though, I will look further into things.

Is lorry driving generally a good and enjoyable job?

Whilst many will say avoid agencies (me included!), but maybe sign up to a couple as a 3.5t van driver (you can do this on your car licence) and work a day or two on your days off from Tesco. Build up a little experience with driving a van and the difficulties of looking for addresses, securing loads etc before lashing out 2-3k on a HGV licence!

At all costs, avoid Brokers!!! As has been said, there are cheaper options open to anyone with most financial restrictions!

Alternatively, if you want to earn a bit more money, but can’t afford training, why not train to be a bus driver with a bus company. A lot of the bigger companies offer training, and a guaranteed job if you pass on the proviso you sign a contract for 1 - 2 years that says if you leave within a set period, you’ll have to pay part or all of your training costs back. After the time period has passed you’ll owe nothing and you’ll have the experience to progress into the HGV side of the transport industry if you still enjoy it.

If you can stomach either of the above and enjoy it, then you may very well enjoy being a truck driver, just bare in mind, trucking can be a bit of a culture shock for some, and certain jobs can destroy your social life (not all, but some!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d jump on the dot.com vans, build up some experience on a larger vehicle first…

Also if it helps only a few weeks ago a local tesco superstore had a banner up saying they’re recruiting hgv drivers, I’d never seen that before…
So may pay to ask in house if there are any options first, they did use to offer it I’m sure…

I’d not bother with a broker either, if you can either get a loan/cc sadly is the best ‘borrowed’ way or look at maybe another job on top for a bit, save, then pay to train up to class two, get on that way, earn abit more from that, plus the experience and save for full CE if you really want to go that far.

Ooooor look to a warehouse type role, see if anyone’s looking to skill lads up in house, go door to door and ask bud, NEVER know.

Either way good luck, and be sure your sure before you walk out the door [emoji6]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

And as to the good comment above mine reference ‘bus training’ avoid FIRST BUS AT ALL COSTS.

They are to be sold off, and their tie ins to pay back the training mean your owned…

Look to arriva, national express, or a local city operator in your area, but that’s a very good shout out from the gentleman above, you’d be ideal esp as your from a customer facing role and bus firms live that…

Benjie83:
And as to the good comment above mine reference ‘bus training’ avoid FIRST BUS AT ALL COSTS.

They are to be sold off, and their tie ins to pay back the training mean your owned…

Look to arriva, national express, or a local city operator in your area, but that’s a very good shout out from the gentleman above, you’d be ideal esp as your from a customer facing role and bus firms live that…

First bus also known as worst bus, maybe being sold, but doesn’t mean it’s not a bad option Arriva may also be sold as it’s parent company is looking to reduce its debt by selling it.
Any training with a company will (as stated) require you to sign a contract for the training. It doesn’t mean your ‘owned’, it just means if you don’t like it, you’ll have to pay back some or all of the training costs.
Like any company, it has regional variations in quality. Some places are better to work than others, ask a few of the bus drivers what they think. Some may say it’s rubbish, but you will get an idea of what it’s like when you keep hearing the same thing about a company. Choose wisely!

Otherwise, as has been stated, ask about, look for warehouse jobs, or van driving jobs. Get some transport driving experience behind you. Whether that’s a van on your day off from your current job, or become a van driver permanently and go from there.

As above though, make sure your sure it’s for you before you commit to the outlay, as it isn’t the cheapest thing to waste your money on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROG:
http://www.hgvtrainingnetwork.com/

Never book or pay until you have seen the vehicles and perhaps met the instructors UNLESS loads say they are brilliant such as the forum sponsor for example

Tsk tsk ROG,

Have recent events taught you nothing…■■ It seems so.

You on commission?

Moderators are fair and Impartial? Hmm…

Sadly driving doesn’t give you the option of testing the water to see if it’s for you without some financial outlay, and starting off in a van gives you some idea of what life on the road is like, it’s miles apart from driving a truck wether it’s cl2 or cl1.
Have you thought about being a drivers mate, admittedly it’s not sat behind the wheel, but it would give you a basic idea and you’d be earning at the same time.
Try Peter Smyth, he has his own school and has given some decent advice to people wishing to get into the industry without being biased.

Another option could be the Army Reservist route, as an RLC driver reservist Tesco are required to acknowledge any commitments you have, ie weekends away, camps and training, you get paid for attending and get trained at the same time without losing your job at Tesco, worth a shot.

Good luck

Londontrucker123:

ROG:

Tsk tsk ROG,

You on commission?

They can also give a personal opinion and general advice

Hi read your post you say u work for tesco I heard that from next year tesco are starting in the training school called warehouse to wheels taking employees and putting them threw there hgv but don’t know if its true or not

PSTT have removed the interest free credit option as it was only a temporary offer however they can still help arrange finance if required as one route which would still be cheaper than a broker, ie as said if you can get a 0% credit card for most of the balance otherwise its a case of save up to do it. Unless you have a family member that can bank roll you for it.

Ultimately its your choice no one can make the decisions for you. You have to weigh it all up.

If your prepared to work you will certainly earn more then 15k a year and quite dooableto earn nearly double that with the likes of bidvest etc but you will work for it.

Sent from my CMR-W09 using Tapatalk

I’m very lucky I’ve been driving HGVs since I was 16 off road , before the days of the snowflakes.
HGVs on road are big and designed to turn pedestrians into jam.
You will need fairly strong arms to do tight maneuvers and strong legs if its got a clutch.
Nerves of steel for inching between parked cars.

A good 6th sense about what other road users will do.
I suggest you do a years supermarket to home van deliveries and then progress to class 2 and 1 HGV.

Plus I’ve heard that £5 tips are not unusual from customers.

On top of that get some 1 on 1 tacho training personally I struggled with the change from paper to digital.

ROG:

Londontrucker123:

ROG:

Tsk tsk ROG,

You on commission?

They can also give a personal opinion and general advice

Yes, but you are neither fair nor impartial, having butted right in and closed a previous thread as it concerned a forum sponsor. If that thread happened to be about Stobarts, I seriously doubt whether you would have simply bothered your arse.

Yeah, exactly…

You are attempting to guide people along a certain route, no?

Says a lot about you ROG. Whether you like it, or whether you don’t…

What, you can decide arbitrarily what’s ‘fit to print’…? As long as it suits your views??

Is there an Editor here?

You only have to look at the responses here regarding the forum sponsors ‘hotel’. The only real positive reviews I can see so far are connected in some way with forum sponsors, and or, moderators. The others - independant reviews, not so great.

Maybe moderating is not for you ROG huh… And maybe you might not be so biased from now on ■■