Split coupling

Hi, just started a new job and I’m still a newbie on class 1. Its all fridge work and some of the trailers will need to be split coupled . Any experienced guy’s or girl’s on here help me out with the do’s and dont’s of this process. Thanks

old thread but still relevant me thinks = viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85504

Thanks, sorry for bringing up old fashioned threads I should of used the search bar. I was just sitting around looking at a steering wheel (parked up) obviously and just thought I’d try and tap into the knowledge that’s abt. Lesson learn’t search 1st and if that’s a bust post 2nd.

Make sure the trailer brake is on before you do anything (and the unit handbrake obviously)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have to do that as its awkward getting the airlines on, I would backup as normal and make sure the pin is in.

Then pump the brakes until all the air is gone, which makes getting tye airlines on much easier from any angle. No air pressure pushing back.

Its much safer than split coupling which can be extremely dangerous if you make a mistake.

If the unit is far too close and they have a garage or experienced driver, ask them about moving the 5th wheel position. It might be too far forward which will cause problems for everyone.

At xmas time I was driving for a supermarket. Usually they had something called mavis rails. But they rented in a load of trailers without. However split coupling was still banned. I found the best way to do it is to couple at an angle if there is room (and if not and the shunt button works jack the unit and trailer after dropping onto the pin.