Places you should not be sent to

Hi everyone
I have been driving for a couple of months now, so still very new.

Six weeks of that was doing Pallex day work multi drop in a class2 which wasn’t great but I stuck with it.

Then I started class 2 tramping, doing deliveries the midlands and Lancashire etc, which which I enjoyed.

This all changed when they sent me to central London, first week there not to bad, but second week was awful!

I got sent to one drop which had 7.5 tonne weight limits and steel corner bollards in the way of every sensible route to the where I was going.

It left me going down a road with parked cars either side and only through sheer luck I manage to get through.

Another drop I had to go round a residential area through tightly parked cars, and this time I got stuck I couldn’t get through.

It left me with no option but to back out onto a busy road.

I rang the non emergency police line and asked if they would help me get out as this could be very
dangerous. They said it is not a police problem and refused to send anyone.

Thankfully just as I was about to back into the road a passer by stopped me said. I will help you get out mate let me stop the traffic, god was I grateful.

London is awful to drive around because of the sheer congestion and madness of it all.

I just feel like quitting, but I am thinking of getting a class 1 licence as the class 1 trampers say that the rigid trampers here have the worst job of all.

Does anyone have similar stories when they first started ?

Does it get any easier ?

regards.

As a newbie you are probably on a loser twice/thrice over:
You cant pick and choose jobs as much as more experienced driver might.
You lack the experience to see which drops are likely to be inaccessible.
When you do see a problem you may lack the confidence or the authority with your office to refuse a job.
It all gets better with time. Stick with it, its all good experience. Getting the reading of "awkward drops" isnt an exact science, as time goes on youll get better at second guessing what is around the next corner, but youll never get it perfect. No-one does. And after a while you may prefer those jobs where you need to engage your brain rather than merely follow the tyre tracks of others.
By the sound of it you`re doing OK. It gets easier, but too easy is boring! :smiley:

Franglais:
As a newbie you are probably on a loser twice/thrice over:
You cant pick and choose jobs as much as more experienced driver might.
You lack the experience to see which drops are likely to be inaccessible.
When you do see a problem you may lack the confidence or the authority with your office to refuse a job.
It all gets better with time. Stick with it, its all good experience. Getting the reading of "awkward drops" isnt an exact science, as time goes on youll get better at second guessing what is around the next corner, but youll never get it perfect. No-one does. And after a while you may prefer those jobs where you need to engage your brain rather than merely follow the tyre tracks of others.
By the sound of it you`re doing OK. It gets easier, but too easy is boring! :smiley:

Thanks pal

Have a look on google streetview at the address you’re going to and the surrounding roads, will help you choose the most accessible route into your destination, obviously won’t show stupidly parked cars but any help is better than none

1,get a real job and get away from agencies.
2,register with a few agencies.
3,as soon as you get offered inner city multi drop,your reply is…“unavailable”
they are trying it on with you to see if you will accept the crap jobs.
none of them will be the slightest bit interested in you as to what you will or will not do,all you will get is the best pals act when they are looking for someone to do a crappy run.
stick to distance tramping where theres a bit of driving involved and get your experience that way.
alternatively,get your class 1 and join the driving god elite where you can look down and sneer on lesser class 2 minions and at that point a world of opperchancities will open up in front of you and the world will be your lobster my son… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

i’ve been a Class 1 Driving God for almost 40 years :smiley: …but there’s still the odd occasion where even i get stuck :astonished: :laughing:
but there’s always someone willing to help out.don’t panic,and ask for assistance!

dieseldog999:
1,get a real job and get away from agencies.
2,register with a few agencies.
3,as soon as you get offered inner city multi drop,your reply is…“unavailable”
they are trying it on with you to see if you will accept the crap jobs.
none of them will be the slightest bit interested in you as to what you will or will not do,all you will get is the best pals act when they are looking for someone to do a crappy run.
stick to distance tramping where theres a bit of driving involved and get your experience that way.
alternatively,get your class 1 and join the driving god elite where you can look down and sneer on lesser class 2 minions and at that point a world of opperchancities will open up in front of you and the world will be your lobster my son… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I am working for a company not a agency, but would consider agency work because as you say if you don’t like a job then just say I am unavailable.
If I am registered with a few there might be plenty of work, but turning down work if you are new might mean the phone goes silent.

RIPPER:
Have a look on google streetview at the address you’re going to and the surrounding roads, will help you choose the most accessible route into your destination, obviously won’t show stupidly parked cars but any help is better than none

I have started to do this its a good idea.

carryfast-yeti:
i’ve been a Class 1 Driving God for almost 40 years :smiley: …but there’s still the odd occasion where even i get stuck :astonished: :laughing:
but there’s always someone willing to help out.don’t panic,and ask for assistance!

I hate the idea of getting stuck especially when there I am blocking peoples drive ect or cars are stuck behind me, this is when it gets stressful I find.

But asking for help is something I need to do next time, rather then trying to hack it all on my own.

Provided you go into and out of 7.5 t weight limits by the same route it ok to go into them, its going through and out the other side that will get you nicked

Don’t think that C+E will keep you out of London. I still have to go there. As I have the only euro 6 unit I now have the joy of doing the ULEZ jobs.

Look for rubber marks on the road when using street view, it shows a truck has been in or out of there before. Also good for spotting bent railings/bollards where someone has ■■■■■■ it up before.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

From the south west .
Anything past Reading I class as London and avoid it like the plague.
London is so delivery UNFRIENDLY it’s unbelievable