Hi New Trainee Mile Muncher!

Hi,

Just starting out on learning the dark art of HGV driving!! Doing my theory in 2 weeks, got my Licence back today from DVLA printing corporation and as requested my class C provisional has been added. I also noticed that they had added my CE provisional entitlement!! I though that you had to complete the C training and test, send the licence away for full C entitlement and then get the CE provisional?

My question is; As both provisional’s are on my licence, could I complete the C training and test and then go straight into CE and once both complete send my licence away for updating?

Cheers

Firstly, welcome to the forum. It’s most unusual to have CE prov added at the same time as C prov. But if that’s the case, you could drive an artic now on L plates though you would not be permitted to take a test until you hold a full C licence. They wont accept a C pass certificate as evidence either. That’s really ironic when they are the folks who issued it! There is a difference, in the eyes of the powers that be, between holding the provisional and being in a position to take the test.

In other words, the CE is not a lot of use to you! Sorry, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, really bizarre the coordination between the DVLA and DVSA!!

Hopefully if my picture uploads you will see they gave me all the bus stuff too!! I guess it was a Friday flier and “select all” is quicker than individual allocation :open_mouth:

Looking forward to doing my training and fingers crossed I’ll be heading over to some dodgy geezers fly by night training services in Nottinghamshire :exclamation: :laughing: Once I get the theory and computer game completed…

The photo shows “grandfather” rights for C1 (up to 7.5 tonnes) and D1 (minibus up to 16 seats) plus the other bits and pieces that go with them. You got these as you passed your car test before 1997.

Your licence wont look any different than it did when you sent it away as it doesn’t show any provisional entitlements now.

The best bet is to do a licence check at gov.uk/check-driving-information This will show you your provisional entitlements amongst other things.

Let me know if I can help further - and look out for "some dodgy geezers fly by night training services in Nottinghamshire :exclamation: :laughing: "

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I had C and C+E provisionally added to my license before I had my C, you can tick both boxes and they’ll add it on for you.

Good luck in your training buddy, I am glad I did it.

Matt87:
I had C and C+E provisionally added to my license before I had my C, you can tick both boxes and they’ll add it on for you.

Good luck in your training buddy, I am glad I did it.

No you didn’t and no you can’t.

Gov.uk:
You can only apply for a provisional trailer (+E) licence when you’ve got the full licence for the vehicle you’ll be driving

gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-dri … ntitlement

The OP also doesn’t have provisional artic either, he will find when he checks his counterpart online. You can only have a car licence and you will still have all of those empty boxes with a line through in each category