Hazard Perception

Hi Guys.
A little bit of background:
Back in 2016 I sat all 3 of my theories and passed them first time with no issues.

I then did my driver training in November 2016. I had an a*hole of an instructor who knocked my confidence every day I was out there and long story short I failed my practical with 2 minors and 1 major (I went at a roundabout and had time to make it safely, however a car driver decided to accelerate up to me. The examiner even said “I know what he did but I have to fail you”)

As my confidence was knocked and I was very disheartened I decided not to rebook my test (big mistake I know!) However this year with some encouragement from my girlfriend I have decided to give it another go as I have never lost my passion or love for it and would love to get back out on the road instead of being a planner.

I had a trial drive and was recommended a 12 hour course as the instructor told me there’s nothing much to work on I could just benefit with a refresher having not driven CAT C for 2 and ½ years.

I took my multiple choice and hazard perception on Thursday last week; unfortunately I failed my HP by 1 point. I was disheartened but I thought “I won’t let that stop me and rebooked it for today”. I had seen videos online which suggested the “two click technique” as I have been noticing the hazards too early. I took the test again today and again failed by 1 point. However this time I had 3 videos I scored 0 on but got 5 on 5, 6 on 4, 3 on 3 & 6 for the double hazard. Is it possible I seeing them early still as the hazards are so obvious on the CGI clips i cannot be missing them?

I have booked a 3rd test for this coming Saturday however I am now more stressed then ever as I am working on a time frame as I can only do my training on the 1st week of July.
Just looking for some reassurance as this is starting to get me down a bit. The most annoying thing is that I’ve done it before and passed.

Has anyone got any tips on where I may be going wrong?
Thanks in advance.

mikec92:
Hi Guys.
A little bit of background:
Back in 2016 I sat all 3 of my theories and passed them first time with no issues.

I then did my driver training in November 2016. I had an a*hole of an instructor who knocked my confidence every day I was out there and long story short I failed my practical with 2 minors and 1 major (I went at a roundabout and had time to make it safely, however a car driver decided to accelerate up to me. The examiner even said “I know what he did but I have to fail you”)

As my confidence was knocked and I was very disheartened I decided not to rebook my test (big mistake I know!) However this year with some encouragement from my girlfriend I have decided to give it another go as I have never lost my passion or love for it and would love to get back out on the road instead of being a planner.

I had a trial drive and was recommended a 12 hour course as the instructor told me there’s nothing much to work on I could just benefit with a refresher having not driven CAT C for 2 and ½ years.

I took my multiple choice and hazard perception on Thursday last week; unfortunately I failed my HP by 1 point. I was disheartened but I thought “I won’t let that stop me and rebooked it for today”. I had seen videos online which suggested the “two click technique” as I have been noticing the hazards too early. I took the test again today and again failed by 1 point. However this time I had 3 videos I scored 0 on but got 5 on 5, 6 on 4, 3 on 3 & 6 for the double hazard. Is it possible I seeing them early still as the hazards are so obvious on the CGI clips i cannot be missing them?

I have booked a 3rd test for this coming Saturday however I am now more stressed then ever as I am working on a time frame as I can only do my training on the 1st week of July.
Just looking for some reassurance as this is starting to get me down a bit. The most annoying thing is that I’ve done it before and passed.

Has anyone got any tips on where I may be going wrong?
Thanks in advance.

Your not alone, I’ve just failed my HP. I got a big fat 0 on 5 clips!!! Impossible, as I know I clicked the hazards. On my practice tests i was getting scores in the high 80s low 90s.

A very flawed test I think.

Is clicking too early possible?

Anyway, rebooked for the 28th next week. I’ll bloody pass it this time!

for me i found seeing them before the test does to he an issue so i found every practice clip online and i practiced till i worked out what works best for me.

end of the day the hp is designed for brand new drivers of cars. it is same test just longer for hgv so those of us who have been driving notice alot sooner.

for me i found clicking the whole time i saw the hazard worked best but you have to time the clicks so it does not fail it from being clicked to many times to quickly. so my advice would be use practice clips and try work out what method works for you.

if it was timed to when you would react in a hgv it would be easier as then it would mean those of us who see them sooner would have a better chance with less clicks as it would expect a click sooner rather than the timing it has

Hello there,

I’m currently doing the whole new driver license thing and this post caught my attention as I was in the same boat.

I took my Multiple choice and HP 3 weeks and smashed the questions but failed the HP miserably. 5 clips 0 points. Very upset as i was sure i would pass. After talking to the people at the test center they said its a very common thing for experienced drivers so you aren’t alone. We can see hazards well before they have “developed” in the video. Took it again last friday and passed although barely.

The advice I was given was to click then click again. Be patient and wait for it to develop.

Best of luck

Some good advice here already. The only way I know works is to click when you see the hazard (this may well be too soon), count to two (or say 2 elephants or something like that) and click again. There is a window for acceptable clicks. It starts off with 5 and decreases to 1 as you click later. So, using this method, you may get the 5 or you may have to settle for a little less. But you should pass.

IMO it’s barmy having a test that relies on knowing how to pass it above anything else. But I’m just old fashioned!

Best of luck with it next time, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the advice, it’s nice to know I am not alone;

Justream - I agree, it is a very flawed test! I was also getting high scores, the night before my 2nd HP I got 83 so I thought I got this lol. You can click too early if you spot the hazard but click before the points window which I am sure I am doing.

karlos0891 - You are right the test is aimed at new drivers, I don’t think it’s possible to spot a hazard TOO early. Surely the faster you see hazard on the road the quicker you can react and avoid an accident.

BigFletch - It’s so frustrating isn’t it. I was sure I passed the 2nd time, I done the double sometimes triple click on the clips, I was sure it was in the bag. It’s a massive juggling act between worrying you’re not in the points window and clicking too much.

Pete - I will go with this technique on Saturday, hopefully this works. I can’t stand the thought of failing a 3rd time. I keep worrying having failed the practical once, what chance have I got if it’s taken this long to pass my HP again. I feel like you’re not leaning to spot hazards or proving you can spot them, but proving that you can beat a computer programme. Madness IMO.

I used The Official DVSA Guide to Hazard Perception DVD-ROM. RRP is £15.99 but it’s available on amazon prime for £11.35. The hazard perception test is just a computer game really, so takes practice to work out the technique that you need to use. Find out how many clicks you can use. Sometimes you might want to use 2 or even 3 clicks. But you mustn’t use more clicks than you’re allowed, otherwise you get zero points for that clip.

safedrivingforlife.info/sho … m-software

amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi … 442&sr=8-2

Hi Guys.

Just to update I retook it again today and passed. Got 89 out of 100. So pleased.

Thanks for all the advice :slight_smile:

Really pleased for you. All the best with the rest of it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

mikec92:
Hi Guys.

Just to update I retook it again today and passed. Got 89 out of 100. So pleased.

Thanks for all the advice :slight_smile:

Congratulations on passing Mike :smiley: :smiley:

I passed mine also :smiley: Time to get on and book my course dates at last.

As with the other advice on this thread, I recommend anyone taking the HP, click when you see it, wait a second, then click again. It’s what I did this time and I got 92/100.

Congratulations on the pass! All the best with the next bit.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: