Warning for residential courses

I thought I’d do a little writeup to share my experience with anyone thinking of a residential course.

I’d like to start by saying non of this is about slagging off Peter Smythe Transport, just that I didn’t do my due diligence and have ended up massively out of pocket and a week off with nothing to show for it :blush:

I’d planned on going to an open day to meet the instructors but at 4 hours each way and the expense I decided to just go for it with a 4 day course and mod 4, that’s the first mistake. I also didn’t look at the contents of the course untill the Saturday before I left as I had to open the documents at the library. That’s the second and probably biggest mistake as I thought it would be full days.

I traveled the 230 miles to the hotel on Monday. I was unlucky and got a room at the front which meant I was on top of the junction and traffic lights in the centre surrounded by Halfords, Pet’s at home, b&m etc. It was extremely noisy and shutting the window wasn’t an option in the heat. I should have looked on Google earth and seen it’s location and either asked for a back room or booked an alternative.

First lesson 8am Tuesday, felt tired and a bit strung out with the lack off sleep but positive in general. Met my instructor and we got on with it. I had a good drive and got on well with her having a laugh too, she said I was confident in the truck but that I was sloppy and needed to tighten up on bits like steering two handed, mirrors and signalling. My lesson finished at 12 and I wasn’t back in till 12 again the next day! I was worried about what I would do to occupy myself for 24hrs.

I tried finding alternative accommodation but it was too expensive and my other option was staying with family which was 80 miles away. I didn’t think doing an 80 mile commute each day would be a good way to get out of bad habits. Consentrate on the truck and driving for the test I thought.
I went back to the hotel and couldn’t get the WiFi so wandered into town but other than shopping or the pub it’s basic. I then went for a drive to get something to eat but was just spinning my wheels trying to kill time and ended up back at the hotel. It was a long night and the morning was the same.

Midday on Wednesday and back behind the wheel, everything going fine and a bit of motorway driving too. I was trying to keep remembering the day befores points but kept on slipping into my natural driving.

My short term memory isn’t great so repetition is the best way to drill things into me or I drift into autopilot. I’d had a bit of confusion over indicating when passing traffic the day before and it came up again.
I’d got in a muddle over getting out early or keeping in more incase oncoming vehicles don’t give way and ended up braking late. It wasn’t a big issue but when I asked about a black or white answer on how to approach it to pass a test I didn’t really understand the answer and got flustered.
We went back to the yard to chat through it and did a couple of practice reverses which went well, but I still hadn’t got it and was unsure. We went back out on the road and I was trying to work out what had been said and to keep checking my mirrors etc.
I was out of sorts and my instructor commented on it when I had to brake quite hard after noticing the lights late and throwing everything off the passenger seat onto the floor. I was getting distracted and anxious.

We carried on and headed down some country lanes, I was trying to get the mirror thing right and watching the overhang on an s bend with a walled bridge when the mirror caught some twigs, I looked to my right and there was a car so I didn’t adjust and next thing the passenger mirror is facing my instructor with a bang! There was room for me to have moved over a bit but in that split second and being distracted by my over thinking I didn’t think or react fast enough.
We carried on and after missing a turning pulled into a lay-by and straightened out the mirrors. I told myself to just calm down, stop over thinking it and drive like I had earlier but I was nervous now and nothing felt natural.

We got back to the yard and it had been a tense and quit quiet journey in my mind and my confidence was now shot. 2 hours of mod 4 training in a group followed immediately but although I rallied and had a laugh I took nothing in really and left in a total spin.
Back to the hotel with a banging headache and another disturbed night.

4am Thursday and I’m totally fried. I’d lost confidence in my instructor. I was worried that one more lesson wouldn’t be enough, that finishing my lesson at 12pm and being back at 9am was going to leave me strung out at the hotel.
I was also worried that if I Ballsed up my mod4 and then my driving test, i would be leaving on a Friday afternoon with a minimum 80mile or more likely 230mile journey home. Not usually an issue but with where my head was at and driving the car feeling strange after yesterday’s ■■■■ ups not something I wanted.

I made the decision to call it quits.
I went to the yard to shake my instructors hand and explain that either I wasn’t asking the right questions or not getting the answer and my confidence had taken a knock.
The staff were understanding and tried to encourage me but I was done. My instructor said that a more intense weekend course might have suited me better but I hadn’t known they were available which again is a mistake in my research.

In Summary (and for those that can’t be arsed to read my waffle above) I’ve ended up making a huge financial and emotional mistake which with more research and asking questions should have been avoided.

My advice to anyone thinking of this kind of course would be take the time to go and see the company and meet the instructors. Get advice about what the courses entail and if they’re suitable for you.
Check out where you’d stay and factor the visit into your costs as £100 day out is alot less than £1400+ that I’m out of pocket :open_mouth: :cry:

Lastly it hasn’t put me off as I felt fine when driving naturally and I enjoyed it. It’s just going to take a bit longer than I hoped :smiley:

I have just returned from a few days away and this is the first post I’ve looked at. Naturally, I am devastated that the OP didn’t go away with the desired result. Before I pass any further comment I’ll examine the OP’s training record. I will then respond either to the thread or by pm as I consider appropriate.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I’d just like to point out again this is not a PST bashing post and I hope it doesn’t come across in that way.

Thanks for pointing that out. But the fact is that you’re clearly not happy and I need to see if we have fallen short anywhere along the line so make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I did a residential course with flair training in Essex. The training was 2-1 so you were out for around 7 hours per day if I remember correctly.

I also remember being absolutely shattered after each day, which is only natural when you are in a new learning environment.

All the things you’ve mentioned: tiredness, noise at night whilst trying to sleep, occupying downtime - they are all issues experienced drivers meet on a daily basis.

Imagine tramping for 15 hours a day, waiting in a RDC for four of those with little to occupy your time. Then sleeping in your cab by the side of a busy road with a fridge unit purring away all night.

Then repeating for the next 4-5 nights

I think it maybe worth considering whether it’s genuinely something you would enjoy doing as a career

well I had been travelling to Flair in Chelmsford from west London there and back every day for 7 days in total (70 miles one way). Hell I even did a night shift twice after the course in south London straight after finished the course day (car driving job). It was demanding at times but that will be your usual routine once you pass the test and get the job. I can only suggest finding the training centre somewhere close to your place and point out that too much free time with nothing to do can be exhausting as hell too.

I did a residential course with flair training in Essex. The training was 2-1 so you were out for around 7 hours per day if I remember correctly.

I also remember being absolutely shattered after each day, which is only natural when you are in a new learning environment.

All the things you’ve mentioned: tiredness, noise at night whilst trying to sleep, occupying downtime - they are all issues experienced drivers meet on a daily basis.

Imagine tramping for 15 hours a day, waiting in a RDC for four of those with little to occupy your time. Then sleeping in your cab by the side of a busy road with a fridge unit purring away all night.

Then repeating for the next 4-5 nights

I think it maybe worth considering whether it’s genuinely something you would enjoy doing as a career

Not all drivers tramp, or do RDC’s. Or 15 hours a day.
If a job has unsuitable elements to it, move on to another.

You’re correct, however. All jobs will include an element of waiting, stress or tiredness at some stage.

jonnyboat:
You’re correct, however. All jobs will include an element of waiting, stress or tiredness at some stage.

Very true, it is so important to have something to hand that will occupy your mind, or it will get to you.

jonnyboat:

I don’t think there is any stress in my job, care to explain?

Not that much tiredness either, especially as there is a bed in the cab which is particularly useful during the waiting periods

Pandion:
I traveled the 230 miles to the hotel on Monday. I was unlucky and got a room at the front which meant I was on top of the junction and traffic lights in the centre surrounded by Halfords, Pet’s at home, b&m etc. It was extremely noisy and shutting the window wasn’t an option in the heat. I should have looked on Google earth and seen it’s location and either asked for a back room or booked an alternative…Back to the hotel with a banging headache and another disturbed night.

I’ve stayed many nights in Central Hotel including the potentially noisy room at the front of the hotel by the main road. It was an easy problem to solve for me as there is an on-suite bathroom between the bedroom and the outside window. So just shut the outside window and the bathroom door and hey presto no noise. I’m not sure why you felt the need to keep the window open all night, as night time temperatures haven’t been that hot recently.
I did however take a spare bed sheet, a couple of thin blankets, and my own pillow with me, so that I didn’t have to use the hotel supplied thick duvet and pillow. This meant that I could keep the window closed and the on-suite bathroom door closed and get a good night’s sleep. You could also have taken foam ear plugs with you. Hotels are often on main roads, so if you like keeping your window open at night it’s going to be noisy.

If you get a headache, paracetamol is effective. Again, I went prepared and took a box of paracetamol with me.

I think it would have been easier for you if you had not done the mod 4 until you had passed mod 3. If you had booked 3.5 hours each day on Thursday and Friday, you could have taken Saturday and Sunday off for much needed rest and recuperation, and then gone back Monday to Wednesday, ie. training on Monday and Tuesday, with test on Wednesday.

Next door to the hotel is a Lidl supermarket. Each day, I chose a fresh salad from the chilled section, a tin of rice pudding, chocolate, and a cake, to keep me going.

Most of us have to give our full effort to passing the driving test, it’s not easy and I felt exhausted after every day’s training. I passed my Cat C first time with Pete. His set up really is the best out there. I doubt that I would have passed first time anywhere else.

Here’s a review of the hotel on google and it does rather well:

google.com/travel/hotels/No … 0wNS0yMlIA

80% of reviewers rated the hotel either 4/5 or 5/5. It’s a well kept hotel with clean rooms and a free continental breakfast included each day. The hotel is ideally situated in the centre of town. It even has free parking for guests.

Jimmy McNulty:

jonnyboat:

is a bed in the cab which is particularly useful during the waiting periods

It doesn’t need explaining surely ‘ waiting, stress or tiredness’

Not all three

jonnyboat:

Jimmy McNulty:

jonnyboat:

is a bed in the cab which is particularly useful during the waiting periods

It doesn’t need explaining surely ‘ waiting, stress or tiredness’

Not all three

I understand waiting and feeling tired.

I don’t understand the stress bit. I deliver and collect goods. What exactly is stressful about that?

I did a residential course at PSTT too.
I did my Class 2 Monday-Thursday with test on Thursday along with the mod 4 stuff.

I travelled 200 odd miles so went up on Sunday afternoon so I would be fresh on Monday for training.

I had a room at the front of the hotel on the main road too - I found it noisy in the evening into the early night so I simply caught up on any missed sleep when I wasn’t training - I know I can’t properly function on 4 or 5 hours sleep or whatever so I made sure I got enough.

Like Carlston, I went prepared, took snacks and headache tablets just in case.

When I wasn’t training, I took the time to drive around the local roads to try and get an idea of the geography and to look out for anywhere to eat

The night before doing the Mod 4 test, I spent a couple hours watching mod 4 videos on youtube and going through the questions likely to be asked so I was as prepared as possible

Before I booked with Pete’s place, I went to see a couple of other trainers - One I even paid £30 for an assessment drive - That was a waste of time, quoting me an astronomical amount of time and money to get to test standard at a very sub standard site with a reversing area marked out with old fire hoses that doubles as an overflow carpark for the local hore racing track.

I’m pretty convinced Pete’s is one of the best places out there and you get an advantage taking the test where you practice reversing. I even went back to take my Class 1. At the time there was an offer of extra reversing time as an extra which I took up and still took 2 attempts to pass on the Artic

Passing either Class 2 or Class 1 is not simple and requires most people to put in 100% and yes you’ll be tired after But you reap what you sow

I thought I’d do a little writeup to share my experience with anyone thinking of a residential course.
Always welcome

I’d like to start by saying non of this is about slagging off Peter Smythe Transport, just that I didn’t do my due diligence and have ended up massively out of pocket and a week off with nothing to show for it :blush:
Glad you’re not slagging us off, but that’s not quite how it comes over unfortunately.

I’d planned on going to an open day to meet the instructors but at 4 hours each way and the expense I decided to just go for it with a 4 day course and mod 4, that’s the first mistake. I also didn’t look at the contents of the course untill the Saturday before I left as I had to open the documents at the library. That’s the second and probably biggest mistake as I thought it would be full days.
Pity you didn’t make the open day. But the huge majority of our residential candidates dont visit before their course because of the mileage/cost involved. Having said that, folks have travelled well in excess of 200 miles to have a look. Your joining instructions were sent to you on 10th April so there really was plenty of time to check them before the course started on 14th May. The timings are very clear and perfectly normal when undertaking 1:1 training.

I traveled the 230 miles to the hotel on Monday. I was unlucky and got a room at the front which meant I was on top of the junction and traffic lights in the centre surrounded by Halfords, Pet’s at home, b&m etc. It was extremely noisy and shutting the window wasn’t an option in the heat. I should have looked on Google earth and seen it’s location and either asked for a back room or booked an alternative.
My understanding isn’t that we had blistering heat last week. And why not ask the hotel to move you if the room was so noisy? (In fairness, in the 10 years we’ve been operating residential courses, this is the second comment about noisy rooms). Accommodation is free of charge and is very acceptable to the huge majority.

First lesson 8am Tuesday, felt tired and a bit strung out with the lack off sleep but positive in general. Met my instructor and we got on with it. I had a good drive and got on well with her having a laugh too, she said I was confident in the truck but that I was sloppy and needed to tighten up on bits like steering two handed, mirrors and signalling. My lesson finished at 12 and I wasn’t back in till 12 again the next day! I was worried about what I would do to occupy myself for 24hrs.
Our location is very close to Sherwood Forest, numerous country parks, cinemas etc etc. For myself, I would have spent a lot of time studying Highway Code and the Goods Vehicle Driving Manual.

I tried finding alternative accommodation but it was too expensive and my other option was staying with family which was 80 miles away. I didn’t think doing an 80 mile commute each day would be a good way to get out of bad habits. Consentrate on the truck and driving for the test I thought.
As above, shame you didn’t ask for a room change.

I went back to the hotel and couldn’t get the WiFi so wandered into town but other than shopping or the pub it’s basic. I then went for a drive to get something to eat but was just spinning my wheels trying to kill time and ended up back at the hotel. It was a long night and the morning was the same.
I’m old enough to recall a life before WIFI. Most towns offer shopping and a pub or two. Sutton in Ashfield is crammed full with eateries with absolutely no need to spend time driving around looking for something to eat. Once again, time would have been well spent studying Highway Code and Goods Vehicle Driving Manual. Part of the idea of a residential course is that the candidate fully commits to it. Yes, there may well be some leisure time - but it’s up to each individual to decide how they organise themselves.

Midday on Wednesday and back behind the wheel, everything going fine and a bit of motorway driving too. I was trying to keep remembering the day befores points but kept on slipping into my natural driving.
Nothing strange or unusual about this.

My short term memory isn’t great so repetition is the best way to drill things into me or I drift into autopilot. I’d had a bit of confusion over indicating when passing traffic the day before and it came up again.
I’d got in a muddle over getting out early or keeping in more incase oncoming vehicles don’t give way and ended up braking late. It wasn’t a big issue but when I asked about a black or white answer on how to approach it to pass a test I didn’t really understand the answer and got flustered.
You have had the benefit of being trained by a very skilled and capable instructor who is more than capable of “drilling in” where required. But driving is driving. In many cases it’s not an exact science. Some things are routine and, as a result, relatively straightforward. But much is variable and must be assessed at the time. Consequently, when you ask for a “black or white answer” on the topic of passing parked vehicles, there isn’t one to be had.

We went back to the yard to chat through it and did a couple of practice reverses which went well, but I still hadn’t got it and was unsure. We went back out on the road and I was trying to work out what had been said and to keep checking my mirrors etc.
Quite normal to come in and sort out a particular topic and also to do some reversing as this distracts from the “pressure point”, making it easier to accept new information. But if you “hadn’t got it” and was “unsure”, you should have said so and it would have been explained again until it was understood. But looking for that black or white answer is a waste of time for that topic.

I was out of sorts and my instructor commented on it when I had to brake quite hard after noticing the lights late and throwing everything off the passenger seat onto the floor. I was getting distracted and anxious.
Frankly, that’s not what I would expect at this stage in the training. But being distracted wont help.

We carried on and headed down some country lanes, I was trying to get the mirror thing right and watching the overhang on an s bend with a walled bridge when the mirror caught some twigs, I looked to my right and there was a car so I didn’t adjust and next thing the passenger mirror is facing my instructor with a bang! There was room for me to have moved over a bit but in that split second and being distracted by my over thinking I didn’t think or react fast enough.
We carried on and after missing a turning pulled into a lay-by and straightened out the mirrors. I told myself to just calm down, stop over thinking it and drive like I had earlier but I was nervous now and nothing felt natural.
You are very lucky not to have smashed the passenger door window as has happened thus showering the instructor with glass. This is a most serious matter and your slow reaction is a bit scary. I’m not surprised that you felt nervous at this point. Many trainers would have terminated your course as a result.

We got back to the yard and it had been a tense and quit quiet journey in my mind and my confidence was now shot. 2 hours of mod 4 training in a group followed immediately but although I rallied and had a laugh I took nothing in really and left in a total spin.
Small group training is commonplace for Mod 4 and really shouldn’t leave anyone stressed. It was the same trainer for Mod 4 using an identical vehicle to the one you had been driving. btw this was one of our virtually new Renaults. The headache is unfortunate but is one of those things and we have no control over how folks manage the concentration required for the course or their sleep.

4am Thursday and I’m totally fried. I’d lost confidence in my instructor. I was worried that one more lesson wouldn’t be enough, that finishing my lesson at 12pm and being back at 9am was going to leave me strung out at the hotel.
You are not alone in having broken sleep. I will go as far as saying it’s normal. I have no idea why you “lost confidence in my instructor”. The instructor in question has a pass rate comparable with anyone else in the centre which, as a whole, boasts one of the highest success rates in the industry. If you were seriously worried that one more lesson wouldn’t be enough, why not ask if more time could be available? And why be “strung out”. There’s plenty of ways to occupy your time - - including catching up with sleep and the previously mentioned reading.

I was also worried that if I Ballsed up my mod4 and then my driving test, i would be leaving on a Friday afternoon with a minimum 80mile or more likely 230mile journey home. Not usually an issue but with where my head was at and driving the car feeling strange after yesterday’s ■■■■ ups not something I wanted.
I wonder how many folks dont worry about getting it wrong on test. It’s human nature and not something I can help with apart from providing you with the tools to pass.

I went to the yard to shake my instructors hand and explain that either I wasn’t asking the right questions or not getting the answer and my confidence had taken a knock.
The staff were understanding and tried to encourage me but I was done. My instructor said that a more intense weekend course might have suited me better but I hadn’t known they were available which again is a mistake in my research.
It’s very unusual for anyone to quit a course. I’m pleased my staff did everything to persuade you to continue but you had clearly made your choice. A weekend course clearly has less down-time but is also very intense. Personally, from reading your post and studying the training records, I dont think a weekend course would have been more beneficial.

In Summary (and for those that can’t be arsed to read my waffle above) I’ve ended up making a huge financial and emotional mistake which with more research and asking questions should have been avoided.
My staff will answer any questions fired at them and the office is fully manned from 0800 - 1700 Monday to Friday. I make this point as many trainers dont offer this level of support and customer service. But we’re well known for it and very proud of what we deliver both in training and customer service. Having said all that, I cant blame any member of staff for not answering a question that hasn’t been asked.

My advice to anyone thinking of this kind of course would be take the time to go and see the company and meet the instructors. Get advice about what the courses entail and if they’re suitable for you.
I have been, I hope, most restrained in my comments thus far. But this one really gets to me! You infer that, had you visited and met the instructors, you may not have taken the course with us. I hope that isn’t the case, but feel free to respond and I will happily discuss our facilities and staff on the public forum. As mentioned above, all the advice anyone could possibly ask for is just a phone call away. The advice to visit is sound and I encourage this. But I really object to the comment in this context.

Check out where you’d stay and factor the visit into your costs as £100 day out is alot less than £1400+ that I’m out of pocket :open_mouth: :cry:
Sorry, I dont get it. If anyone was offering me a discounted course (yes you saved £300) with free accommodation I would accept that this will be ok - given the lack of negative feedback over many years. I cannot recall anyone visiting here and going to check out the accommodation.

Lastly it hasn’t put me off as I felt fine when driving naturally and I enjoyed it. It’s just going to take a bit longer than I hoped
All the best with it

Training with Pete’s instructors is top notch, as are all his facilities.
The hotel is basic but more than adequate.

This neurotic princess who found a pea in his free bed has done us all a favour by quitting

Peter Smythe:
Always welcome

Glad you’re not slagging us off, but that’s not quite how it comes over unfortunately.

Pity you didn’t make the open day. But the huge majority of our residential candidates dont visit before their course because of the mileage/cost involved. Having said that, folks have travelled well in excess of 200 miles to have a look. Your joining instructions were sent to you on 10th April so there really was plenty of time to check them before the course started on 14th May. The timings are very clear and perfectly normal when undertaking 1:1 training.

My understanding isn’t that we had blistering heat last week. And why not ask the hotel to move you if the room was so noisy? (In fairness, in the 10 years we’ve been operating residential courses, this is the second comment about noisy rooms). Accommodation is free of charge and is very acceptable to the huge majority.

Our location is very close to Sherwood Forest, numerous country parks, cinemas etc etc. For myself, I would have spent a lot of time studying Highway Code and the Goods Vehicle Driving Manual.

As above, shame you didn’t ask for a room change.
I’m old enough to recall a life before WIFI. Most towns offer shopping and a pub or two. Sutton in Ashfield is crammed full with eateries with absolutely no need to spend time driving around looking for something to eat. Once again, time would have been well spent studying Highway Code and Goods Vehicle Driving Manual. Part of the idea of a residential course is that the candidate fully commits to it. Yes, there may well be some leisure time - but it’s up to each individual to decide how they organise themselves.

Nothing strange or unusual about this.

You have had the benefit of being trained by a very skilled and capable instructor who is more than capable of “drilling in” where required. But driving is driving. In many cases it’s not an exact science. Some things are routine and, as a result, relatively straightforward. But much is variable and must be assessed at the time. Consequently, when you ask for a “black or white answer” on the topic of passing parked vehicles, there isn’t one to be had.
Quite normal to come in and sort out a particular topic and also to do some reversing as this distracts from the “pressure point”, making it easier to accept new information. But if you “hadn’t got it” and was “unsure”, you should have said so and it would have been explained again until it was understood. But looking for that black or white answer is a waste of time for that topic.
Frankly, that’s not what I would expect at this stage in the training. But being distracted wont help.

You are very lucky not to have smashed the passenger door window as has happened thus showering the instructor with glass. This is a most serious matter and your slow reaction is a bit scary. I’m not surprised that you felt nervous at this point. Many trainers would have terminated your course as a result.

Small group training is commonplace for Mod 4 and really shouldn’t leave anyone stressed. It was the same trainer for Mod 4 using an identical vehicle to the one you had been driving. btw this was one of our virtually new Renaults. The headache is unfortunate but is one of those things and we have no control over how folks manage the concentration required for the course or their sleep.

You are not alone in having broken sleep. I will go as far as saying it’s normal. I have no idea why you “lost confidence in my instructor”. The instructor in question has a pass rate comparable with anyone else in the centre which, as a whole, boasts one of the highest success rates in the industry. If you were seriously worried that one more lesson wouldn’t be enough, why not ask if more time could be available? And why be “strung out”. There’s plenty of ways to occupy your time - - including catching up with sleep and the previously mentioned reading.

I wonder how many folks dont worry about getting it wrong on test. It’s human nature and not something I can help with apart from providing you with the tools to pass.

It’s very unusual for anyone to quit a course. I’m pleased my staff did everything to persuade you to continue but you had clearly made your choice. A weekend course clearly has less down-time but is also very intense. Personally, from reading your post and studying the training records, I dont think a weekend course would have been more beneficial.

My staff will answer any questions fired at them and the office is fully manned from 0800 - 1700 Monday to Friday. I make this point as many trainers dont offer this level of support and customer service. But we’re well known for it and very proud of what we deliver both in training and customer service. Having said all that, I cant blame any member of staff for not answering a question that hasn’t been asked.

I have been, I hope, most restrained in my comments thus far. But this one really gets to me! You infer that, had you visited and met the instructors, you may not have taken the course with us. I hope that isn’t the case, but feel free to respond and I will happily discuss our facilities and staff on the public forum. As mentioned above, all the advice anyone could possibly ask for is just a phone call away. The advice to visit is sound and I encourage this. But I really object to the comment in this context.

Sorry, I dont get it. If anyone was offering me a discounted course (yes you saved £300) with free accommodation I would accept that this will be ok - given the lack of negative feedback over many years. I cannot recall anyone visiting here and going to check out the accommodation.

Lastly it hasn’t put me off as I felt fine when driving naturally and I enjoyed it. It’s just going to take a bit longer than I hoped
All the best with it

There are some useful comments and things I hadn’t considered in lots of the posts above (not just this quote) and also some where i think I didn’t get my point across well.

I’m sorry that you’ve taken this thread as an attack on your company but had I posted it without mentioning who I was training with I’m sure I would have been asked and then it could appear I’m trying to hide something.

I wasn’t sure if I should post anything but I’ve got lots of information from this forum and had I read this thread might have done things or prepared differently (maybe not, hindsight etc). I hope someone else finds it useful and yes I know your companies reputation and the positive threads on here, it’s why I booked the course.
However it didn’t work for me and I think I’ve stated clearly that I didn’t ask enough questions and I didn’t prepare adequately for me (we’re all different).

I haven’t complained about the cost or value of the course just my own disappointment at being out of pocket.

idrive:
Training with Pete’s instructors is top notch, as are all his facilities.
The hotel is basic but more than adequate.

This neurotic princess who found a pea in his free bed has done us all a favour by quitting

I didn’t write this to attack Pete or his instructor/ company. I thought it might be useful to anyone considering a residential course and didn’t try to hide who it was with or blame others for my lack of preparation.

I’m still considering training at PSTT and I’ll travel double the distance. Good to know how to get prepared for that. Is there really no Wi-Fi in the hotel?

I obviously know PST sponsor’s and is very active on this forum.
It would be stupid and counterproductive to come on here slagging of and blaming them.

I’d hoped I could share an experience that I got wrong and be able to be honest without it appearing like I’m blaming other people. Just that it hadn’t worked for me and maybe some elements of my experience would stop others making the same mistake.

If that’s not the case or the write up is too vague or comes across as an attack then MODS feel free to remove the thread. It’s either helpful or it’s taken out of context and becomes a defend PST thread when i never meant to attack them.