Is it worth it for minimum wage?

So having passed my Class 2 test, I’ve managed to get a breakthrough after being knocked back by several companies for lack of experience. Only problem is the pay is National minimum wage of £8.21ph. As much as I want the experience I’m not sure I need it that badly?? There is the promise of help getting class one license though, as an interest free loan and then start paying it back from wages once qualified, no contract as such but if you decide to leave you just repay cost of training.

Would I be as well just getting a job elsewhere that pays better wages and just doing the odd day on agency work to build on experience? Anyone else had this kind of problem?

Depends how far your willing to travel to get a better paid job, whether you’re willing to do nights out etc.

If it’s the best you’ve been offered so far, maybe take it whilst still looking, and if something better comes up, tell them to poke it.

Experience is a hard thing to achieve if no one is willing to give you a chance, you have been offered a chance, I’d take it, and get some experience. At least it looks a little better than saying you’ve no experience whatsoever!

Good luck

Have you considered taking out an interest free credit card to pay for Class 1?

Mate minimum wage, you shouldn’t really knock it back. If you do a 13 hour day that’s £106.73 a day, so they may take an hour off but it’s still £500 a week for class 2.
Haven’t done U.K. work for quite a while, but as a class 1 on European out for a minimum 3 weeks, I’d be looking at about £570 for a 5 day week in the bank but £180 of that was night out and meal allowance.
Most of the replies you’ll get on here will be negative, and drivers will be claiming they get loads, but they’ll work their max hours for £550.
At the end of the day it’s your decision and you need to do what best for you, the offer of class 1 is a bonus, but don’t get tied down with hidden contractual obligations

Grumpy Dad:
Mate minimum wage, you shouldn’t really knock it back. If you do a 13 hour day that’s £106.73 a day, so they may take an hour off but it’s still £500 a week for class 2.
Haven’t done U.K. work for quite a while, but as a class 1 on European out for a minimum 3 weeks, I’d be looking at about £570 for a 5 day week in the bank but £180 of that was night out and meal allowance.
Most of the replies you’ll get on here will be negative, and drivers will be claiming they get loads, but they’ll work their max hours for £550.
At the end of the day it’s your decision and you need to do what best for you, the offer of class 1 is a bonus, but don’t get tied down with hidden contractual obligations

So you reckon the young ones/new passes should be grateful for minimum wage driving wagons? :open_mouth:

Have a pop over to the Pro forum and read all about the two dead truck drivers from today’s terrible crash. :bulb:

Honestly i would say £10/hr as a bare minimum even for a new starter. Thats whats most agencies pay around me anyway. And after a while you can always ask for a bit more if they are desperate.
No offence but you can get a job for min wage stacking aldi shelfs=no risk, set hours

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

eagerbeaver:

Grumpy Dad:

So you reckon the young ones/new passes should be grateful for minimum wage driving wagons? :open_mouth:

Have a pop over to the Pro forum and read all about the two dead truck drivers from today’s terrible crash. :bulb:

Where exactly did I say it’s an acceptable wage ? I’ve given an example of minimum wage compared to a wage I was receiving for European work, which when broken down to an hourly rate over the month worked out at £7.60 an hour due to the salary being above NLM.

Grumpy Dad:

eagerbeaver:

Grumpy Dad:

Where exactly did I say it’s an acceptable wage ? I’ve given an example of minimum wage compared to a wage I was receiving for European work, which when broken down to an hourly rate over the month worked out at £7.60 an hour due to the salary being above NLM.

Your very first sentence. :unamused:

And if you would work for £7.60 an hour, you need your head feeling. No wonder we have crap wages in this garbage industry…
Your other comment regarding that drivers will work max hours for £550 is equally ridiculous. You can be at work potentially for 90 hours in any single week which works out at £738.90. Even if you take an hour a day off for breaks, it’s still £697.85 (gross).

Encouraging ANYONE (let alone a driver of a LGV) to accept a job for minimum wage is bordering on madness.

I don’t know where you live but there is a job on indeed for class 2 new passes at £11.50 in Batley. Involves handball and 4am starts.

Bookers, Bidvest, Brakes, AF Blakemore all usually take on new passes.

Usual advice is get in your car with CV and ready for work and knock on doors. Sign up with all your agencies.