Some questions from a "hoping to become" C+E driver

Hi, I’m looking for some advice!
Feeling like I need a career change. I enjoy driving so I’m hoping to get my C, then eventually C+E licence.
My plan is to take my Module 3 & 4 training & test in August. In the meantime I’m planning on working my 3 months notice in my current job (not handed my notice in quite yet) while studying & hopefully passing Theory modules 1 & 2.
I’ve never driven professionally although I’ve had my car licence since I was 17 (I’m 46 now). I live in Edinburgh & would want to be based in the central belt but would be willing to do trunking/tramping work. I’ve had a look at agencies online but I’m confused about the difference between temping agencies v recruitment agencies or if most sites list temp & permanent vacancies.
Some of the posts on here have been very useful reading & so I thought I’d register to ask some questions I’m not sure about:

1. How useful would it be to sign up to an agency to get some paid driving experience using my car licence over the next 3 months or do I need extra training or a tachocard, over & above the normal car licence before I can do any form of paid driving work?
  2. Can anyone recommend decent agencies that serve Scotland & especially the central belt?
  3. Once I’ve got my C licence how soon is it sensible to go for my C+E? Is sooner better or am I best to gain some cat C experience first?

I’d be grateful for any helpful information & may post again when more questions come up!
Cheers!
JenS :smiley:

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I can help with 1 and 3.

1. You have, according to my maths, a C1 licence. You’ll need driver cpc. 35 hours normally completed in 5 days. You can find courses here jaupt.org.uk/ You will also need a tacho card. Many trainers keep the forms; ring and ask. Some familiarisation training would be helpful if you’ve not driven 7.5 previously. Either book this with a trainer (make sure it’s a “real” 7.5 tonner as it’s commonplace for trainers to run 4 or 5 tonne vans) OR, if you’re feeling cheeky and hold C provisional, book several free assessment drives. This will achieve much the same thing. Get hi vis and protective footwear as basics.

2. There is no right or wrong. It’s all down to how comfortable you feel. However, it’s proven that it’s easier to get CAT C start if you hold CE so it could enhance the chances of getting work straight away. I suggest you have a trial drive in CE when you’ve passed your C. Your guts will tell you whether or not to go for it. If you have already made up your mind that you eventually want CE, my advice would generally be to go straight to it. Prices don’t often come down and your employment opportunities are much greater. But trust your guts.

And don’t forget we do residential courses and have a regular flow of folks north of the border.

All the best. Fire away with any more questions or feel free to pm me.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

You can get your digicard now
Never pay more than £60 for a D4 medical

My advice to you would be get some experience on a rigid. 7.5 is ok, but a class two is a bit wider, and the wheelbase is longer. The more experience on a rigid the better. It helped me no end. I don’t suggest 10 years experience (which is what I did) more like a few months driving a c until you feel ready for an artic.

Some of the places you deliver in a rigid can be fun, it’s learning things that you don’t learn on the training and will give you more confidence when it comes to class one.

That’s my opinion, others will have different ideas, and ultimately the choice is yours.

But bear in mind that when you’ve passed and your first job means going up a residential tight street with cars parked both sides and nowhere to turn round at the drop, you may be glad you listened to me.

A 7.5 is just a big van (remember to watch the height though) you will need a tacho card and cpc though.

Temp agencies and recruitment agencies are one and the same. I would avoid them if possible, they are ■■■■. Get a perm job ASAP

Peter Smythe:

I can help with 1 and 3.

1. You have, according to my maths, a C1 licence.

I’m 43 and got mine on grandfather rights, so yep.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

ROG:
You can get your digicard now
Never pay more than £60 for a D4 medical

Thanks for the info!
I’ve now sent away for my digicard application form tonight. On reading about it I see it’s valid for 5 years & figured if I get it now it seems I can use it with whatever licence I’m using or whatever class of vehicle I’m driving.
Last week I booked a medical for later this month. I’m paying £50.
Cheers! :smiley:

Peter Smythe:

I can help with 1 and 3.

1. You have, according to my maths, a C1 licence. You’ll need driver cpc. 35 hours normally completed in 5 days. You can find courses here jaupt.org.uk/ You will also need a tacho card. Many trainers keep the forms; ring and ask. Some familiarisation training would be helpful if you’ve not driven 7.5 previously. Either book this with a trainer (make sure it’s a “real” 7.5 tonner as it’s commonplace for trainers to run 4 or 5 tonne vans) OR, if you’re feeling cheeky and hold C provisional, book several free assessment drives. This will achieve much the same thing. Get hi vis and protective footwear as basics.

2. There is no right or wrong. It’s all down to how comfortable you feel. However, it’s proven that it’s easier to get CAT C start if you hold CE so it could enhance the chances of getting work straight away. I suggest you have a trial drive in CE when you’ve passed your C. Your guts will tell you whether or not to go for it. If you have already made up your mind that you eventually want CE, my advice would generally be to go straight to it. Prices don’t often come down and your employment opportunities are much greater. But trust your guts.

And don’t forget we do residential courses and have a regular flow of folks north of the border.

All the best. Fire away with any more questions or feel free to pm me.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks for your reply!

1. Yes, my car licence is pre-'97 so I have C1 on it.
    I’ve now sent away for a tacho card application form tonight. On reading about it I see it’s valid for 5 yrs & figured if I get it now it seems I can use it with whatever licence I’m using or whatever class of vehicle I’m driving. I’ll apply at the same time I send my D2 form away once I’ve got my D4 completed in a week’s time.
    Am I right in thinking, once I’ve done all 4 modules that’s me got my initial CPC & I then have to get 35hrs over the course of the following 5 yrs? So I’d just need to do CPC now if I want to do paid driving work before I get my cat C?
    I’ve felt comfortable driving a Luton with a tail lift for a house move in the past but aware that that’s smaller than a 7.5t.
    Not sure how I could legally fit in driving work while I work my notice for my current f/t 40hr/wk job though as I’m also a bit confused by working/driving hours regulations.
  2. Think I’ll see how I feel once I get my C & then decide how soon to go for my C+E. Have you any recommendations on trainers north of the border/central belt?
    Cheers!

johnteller:
My advice to you would be get some experience on a rigid. 7.5 is ok, but a class two is a bit wider, and the wheelbase is longer. The more experience on a rigid the better. It helped me no end. I don’t suggest 10 years experience (which is what I did) more like a few months driving a c until you feel ready for an artic.

Some of the places you deliver in a rigid can be fun, it’s learning things that you don’t learn on the training and will give you more confidence when it comes to class one.

That’s my opinion, others will have different ideas, and ultimately the choice is yours.

But bear in mind that when you’ve passed and your first job means going up a residential tight street with cars parked both sides and nowhere to turn round at the drop, you may be glad you listened to me.

Thanks for your reply!
Yes, maybe a few months Cat C experience would give me more of a chance at a first time pass at C+E! Once I get my C+E I could even choose whether to try to jump straight into f/t permanent C+E work or to use agencies to get a variety of experience in both categories. I’ve read bad things about agencies but I’m sure they have their uses!
Cheers!

johnteller:
A 7.5 is just a big van (remember to watch the height though) you will need a tacho card and cpc though.

Temp agencies and recruitment agencies are one and the same. I would avoid them if possible, they are [zb]. Get a perm job ASAP

Thanks for the info!
I’ve sent for my tacho card application form tonight after reading folks replies.
Yes, I’ve heard bad things about agencies but I may give them a try to get a variety of experience while looking for a f/t permanent position.
Cheers!

El Deano:

Peter Smythe:

I can help with 1 and 3.

1. You have, according to my maths, a C1 licence.

I’m 43 and got mine on grandfather rights, so yep.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Yes, my car licence is pre-'97 so I’ve got C1 already :smiley:

There are some good 7.5 jobs out there, if you get the right job, you may not want to leave. Some can be quite decent paying as well.

Watch out for the 3pl jobs with 900 drops per day. You really have to know the area for that kouva! Tuffnells and tnt spring to mind, but there are others

Hi I’ve been lurking around for a while now so thought I would add to a little for you.

I’m just starting my training I’m 45 and have C1 from 1992, I also have C and C+E provisional from 1995 paid for by a former employer, annoyingly I didn’t do the training and now have hoops to jump through :confused:

Anyway you don’t have to do modules 2 and 4 as you have aquired rights, you can just do the 35 hours initial CPC Training there is no real difference in cost but mod 2 & 4 are pass/fail courses whereas there is no test with the initial CPC training you just have to attend each of the 5 days.

Good luck

Mark

For when you start commercial driving. I will warn you, the job is BORING. get yourself Netflix or kindle and some good books, you end up waiting for hours. YouTube is ok, but you need a hefty internet package. If you don’t sort something out for yourself to do, the waiting will crack you up.

johnteller:
For when you start commercial driving. I will warn you, the job is BORING. get yourself Netflix or kindle and some good books, you end up waiting for hours. YouTube is ok, but you need a hefty internet package. If you don’t sort something out for yourself to do, the waiting will crack you up.

Thanks for the tip John I’ve been a self employed Taxi Driver for a long time I’m used to sitting around hoping the next fare will be more than £3.00 at least its hourly pay driving a truck…

Regarding Agencies, as has been said, SOME are godawful users and abusers. But you won’t know until you try, unfortunately. If you want experience then sign up to as many as you can find. Do NOT be afraid to say no, though.
Hourly rate not what you want? Say no.
Too far to travel for the job? Say no.
Don’t feel like getting out of bed that day? Say no.

You will find one of two things. They won’t call, or they WILL call with better jobs, pay, locations. Just gotta get signed up and try it out.

Temp/Perm is where the Agency has an ongoing contract with a firm and you may get a chance to transfer from Agency to the firm on a full time basis. This has its pros and cons.

Me, on a temp/perm job, 7 months and counting.
Pro:
Can take days off as and when I want
Can book any holidays I want and be confident that I can get the time off.
Can work on my days off with another firm.

Cons:
Not guaranteed ANY work at all! We had a 2 month period of doing just 2 days a week.
Never knowing where your next shift is coming from.
Working on a day to day basis.

But some people like the Agency work

Good luck