Failed my C+E yesterday on the reverse

I’ve had 4 hours a day training started Monday and I had my test Thursday

I coupled and uncoupled no problem but then I started the reverse and I took the left lock off too quick and she started to bend, I used my shunt to pull forward and some how I made it 10 times worse.
I knew i had failed when I looked at the back of the trailer and she was touching the left hand line and she was still bent
I had already used my 2 shunts to mess it up beyond repair.

The rain didn’t help as I moved off with the first right hand lock my window was open and rain was going everywhere I stopped mid lock to do my window and it just went down hill.

The slightest little thing and me taking my concentration off the monouver has totally messed my test up.

I still continued with my test and I left with 4 minors in the drive itself, I’m so gutted because i had been doing 2 hours of reverse a day and I can usually do it no problem.

Now its cost me more money and more time off work. I’ve never felt to gutted. :frowning: my re test is next Friday and I’m worried about not doing the reverse again. It felt like the test was never going to end

So you fluffed the reverse, all part off the job, we all have bad days.
The key is to learn from it and move on. You otherwise passed your test, 4 minors is a good result and shows you have it in there. Needing a bit more practice on the reversing is a very common problem with new and experienced drivers. At least it was in a test centre environment and not on the job. Keep your chin up, don’t lose faith and go to that next test rain or shine with the right level of confidence and you will pass.
Then the real learning begins …
Good luck

This situation happens. It’s very frustrating for all concerned when someone who has shown for days that they can complete the exercise goes and fluffs it on test. Sadly, it’s part of life and it don’t look like changing anytime soon.

Chin up. You know what you did. Try not to wind yourself up and good luck for next week.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Just get that right lock on let it bend then get cab and trailer straight so you can see the cone then little movements to get it into bay… check YouTube out plenty of videos on it… good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The left lock buggered it up? I’m guessing that’s where you go into the “garage”?

Remember, the back axle of the unit are your steering wheels. I find it helps to watch those. Just think, when you pass, you can get out and look as much as you please.

I passed class one first time and have been driving them for years, but if it helps, we all have off days. I fluffed an assessment drive at maritime a few weeks back. Had a little drive round the yard in a unit, then he told me to couple up. I reversed in front of the trailer, got out and checked the ride height, got back in and started reversing under, when he told me to stop and that the assessment drive was over. What had I done? Years of bad habits and I forget to check the trailer brake. Gutted! I wanted that job! But who cares? When you’ve passed, you’ve passed. Taught me a lesson! I won’t do that again!