Mirror sequence and test tips

Just want to double check as my brain seems to go to mush.

It’s always into gear(A), left mirror, right mirror, indicate, remove hand brake, look over shoulder in that order?

Any tips for the test?

It’s always into gear(A), left mirror, right mirror, indicate, remove hand brake, look over shoulder in that order?

Sorry, but that wont do! As an absolute minimum, you must add left mirror as soon as you start moving. And why are you engaging a gear? Should already be in gear as no need to take it out of “drive” until you return to the test centre to park it.

I would like to see a considerable amount more work on the mirrors; I suggest you speak with your instructor.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

From neutral, stationary start. You put it into to Auto. Then check left mirror, right mirror, remove handbrake, over the shoulder look and move away.

Can you give me your sequence?

Firstly, the truck would already be in “drive” as it wouldn’t have been put into neutral.

Moving away from the side of the road:

Check your mirrors, both sides. You will see one of three scenarios.

1. Nothing coming from behind. Recheck mirrors, signal, release park brake, check over shoulder (properly and effectively) immediately recheck left mirror. Then continual checks in right and left mirror as you gain speed.

2. Up to 3 or 4 vehicles coming from behind. As above but signal as last vehicle is at the side of you, moving as soon as it is safe to do so.

3. Traffic everywhere and no space to be seen. As (1) but signal to ask for a space. DO NOT MOVE UNTIL YOUR OPPORTUNITY ARISES. The opportunity can often be a large vehicle approaching you making the traffic stop behind you. Get gone and clear the road. But make sure no=one is going to be a hero and try and squeeze past you.

There are refinements I would teach in addition. But the above is the basic instruction I use. Remember, it’s not all about passing a test. My job is to teach folks how to drive a truck properly. Once I’ve done that, the formality is taking the examiner for a ride. I will not teach just to pass a test. Anyone trained to drive the truck will have no problem with the test - provided that nerves don’t get the better of them of course.

And, before anyone asks, yes that is exactly how I drive all the time.

That’s somehwat what I said expect your rechecking the mirrors but at which point is it enough. Also we have been putting into neutral when stopping. So basically, check mirrors, indicate left, pull into side, parking brake, into neutral.

I feel like I’m studying for a school exam and I’m forgetting already.

Situations vary and the checks need to vary with them. You should be taught how to deal with this. Absolutely no need to take it out of drive when you stop at the side of the road.

Thanks.

Can I double check say turning right at a roundabout.

I understand approaches can vary depending on size of road etc, may need to take up some of lane next too you for example, you have to judge each as they come.

As for mirrors, you have you standard left/right mirror check on approach. then check left side then check for traffic coming right side.

As your going around the RAB, you need to check both left and right mirrors, both for kerb and vehicles coming up on your sides. Then you check your left hand mirror as you exit.

How would you descirbe it?

This is really important I get this right.

Go back to basics. There are 3 times you MUST check your mirrors.

1. Before any signal
  2. Before and during any change of speed ie slowing down or speeding up
  3. Before and during any change of direction ie any movement of the steering wheel

Now apply this to your right turn at a roundabout.

If you go through each stage of the procedure it will all make sense. Tie the mirrors together. So if you check right, don’t forget the left. And vice versa.

Once again, remember it’s not a special performance for test. This is about staying safe and keeping everyone else safe for the duration of your driving career.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

For purpose of passing a test. if you are turning right do you check left mirror then right, turning left do you check right mirror then left? Or does it not matter as long as you check both?

I not long past my test I would recommend from pulling off it is put in gear hold it hafe way on the handbrake or take it off or and use the foot brake as the handbrake takes a bit longer to come off than the foot brake on, indicator on then left mirror, then right mirror then blind spot them move off. you put your indicator first to let everyone know your intentions first then make sure it’s safe to move off. And every time you have to stop weather it’s at lights or a parked car or a round about you have to check your mirrors and blind spot

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

For purpose of passing a test. if you are turning right do you check left mirror then right, turning left do you check right mirror then left? Or does it not matter as long as you check both?

Turning right I would check right, left then right before signal. And vice versa for left. But, provided both mirrors are checked, there’s no mark on a test.

I not long past my test I would recommend from pulling off it is put in gear hold it hafe way on the handbrake or take it off or and use the foot brake as the handbrake takes a bit longer to come off than the foot brake on, indicator on then left mirror, then right mirror then blind spot them move off. you put your indicator first to let everyone know your intentions first then make sure it’s safe to move off. And every time you have to stop weather it’s at lights or a parked car or a round about you have to check your mirrors and blind spot

I wouldn’t follow the above on the whole. A half decent driver should be able to judge when to release the park brake as the space is coming so no need to use the foot brake ( which would cause problems of it’s own if you’re stationary uphill!). The mirrors MUST be checked before the signal goes on. See my earlier post explaining the 3 basic times when the mirrors must be checked. I do agree with the final sentence though reference moving off when stopped at lights etc.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thanks Pete, I have also started to role play when i do my daily checks on the rigid, following the B.L.A.C.K. procedure, i must look a right ■■■■ winding the invisible legs down :smiley: