C+E pass - jobs around Glasgow

Just passed my C+E - to anyone in the process of doing it just keep going - took me a resit on both C & C+E but it’s worth it in the end :smiley:

Just need to land a job now - anyone know who might take on a rookie around Glasgow? Apparently some supermarkets will (Tesco, Lidl)?

Depends on area around Glasgow it’s big.Do you want tramping day work multi drop or trunk stuff.

A&D Logistics will start new drivers, they are a good place to learn. You will do many trailer drops throughout the day, do lots of reversing and a mix of unloads.
People will tell you to stay away, the money is crap but it is in line with the rest of the container work.

Agencies have all the supermarkets ■■■■■■■ so you would have to go through that way.

Depends where in Glasgow you are, but with decent start times and the M74,M8 and M80 all linking most areas where haulage companies are you can get to most areas within 30-40 mins. So dont discount places because of that. Cheers

I would prefer trunking/day work with a minimum of drops, no problem with night shifts (I appreciate I’m not in a position to be choosy though of course). I’m in Yoker, but as NPABU says I can get anywhere in 1/2 an hour or so. Should I go with agencies or hold for a direct contract? I’m guessing direct is thin on the ground for rookies as most companies use agencies then hire who they like from experience. I have a ■■■■■■ call centre job which is however covering the bills and it would ■■■■ to jump to an agency without legally guaranteed hours only to get the shaft with hours/conditions when it came to it.

Even though I’m not from around the area (pure Teessider to be exact), you could try WH Malcolm at their Grangemouth yard and railhead (about half an hour’s drive up the M80 and M876 from where you live). It’s mostly 45’ boxes for Tesco’s, etc, that are often lifted on and off the trains there. We often collect rubber compound for export in stillages from there. Canny lads and lasses there, so it’s well worth a try.

There’s also Jardine Transport at Johnstonebridge. Come off the A74(M) at junction 16 (for Annadale Water services) and then follow the B7076 for a couple of miles or so south until you get to Lockerbie Truck Stop on your left. As soon as you turn in there, take a sharp left (like you are coming back on yourself) and then their yard will be on the left hand side. They do general haulage and pallet multidrop. We often deliver cattle feed there from Holland.

There’s Hayton Coulthard/Eardley International at Ecclefechan.

Hayton Coulthard in ■■■■■■■■■■■ will likely give you a start.

It’s not the best money in the world but it’s experience and time behind the wheel and that’s what you need right now.