Newbie Qs - Iveco 95 won't start and other probs

Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right section, please move if not! :slight_smile:

Total newbie here (in both the forum and truck sense) - Just purchased our very first 7.5tonne horsebox, an old Iveco (Eurocargo?) 75e15 - 95 plate so it’s an oldie!

In the process of renovating the inside and outside whilst i’m preparing to do my class C test, and I’ve got a few problems that i can’t wrap my head around.

The first is I can’t for the life of me get my headlights on (or rear lights for that matter). I’m not being thick, I just flick the stalk up on the left, right?!

Indicators work, high beam flash works, brake lights work, but when i turn on my normal dipped headlights, neither the front or rear lights come on.

Had a quick look at the HUGE array of fuses in the “glovebox”, and swapped a few like for like fuses where it looked like the diagram described the front lights, but nothing!

It had it’s plating done not long ago so must have been working for that?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Ryan

on the slightly later 01 onwards cargo there’s a button on the dash…

looks like this:

You have 2 stalks on the left side of the steering column. One is indicators and the other is the dip switch. I’m embarrassed that, having owned a dozen or more of this type of vehicle, I’m struggling to recall where the main headlight switch is. But I’ll guess that it’s a relatively small round switch just above your right knee when you’re sat in the seat. This is the switch you need to find and you’ll be sorted.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

qwakers:

looks like this:

Ahh i turned that on and assumed it was just for when you’re parked up and had to leave lights on (the dipped beams were INCREDIBLY dull when i got out to check)

So what does flicking the stalk up next to the indicator stalk do then if this turns the headlights on? :confused:

Peter Smythe:
You have 2 stalks on the left side of the steering column. One is indicators and the other is the dip switch. I’m embarrassed that, having owned a dozen or more of this type of vehicle, I’m struggling to recall where the main headlight switch is. But I’ll guess that it’s a relatively small round switch just above your right knee when you’re sat in the seat. This is the switch you need to find and you’ll be sorted.

Good luck, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Brill, thanks Pete, I did have a good nosey around and with the exception of the two stalks on the left, and the button mentioned in the pic above, i couldn’t see anything obvious. I’ll take a nosey tomorrow and post some pics if i’m still stuck :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Ryan

rybrx7:

qwakers:

looks like this:

Ahh i turned that on and assumed it was just for when you’re parked up and had to leave lights on (the dipped beams were INCREDIBLY dull when i got out to check)

So what does flicking the stalk up next to the indicator stalk do then if this turns the headlights on? :confused:

it has two settings, when engine off both only put sidelights on, when engine is on position 1 is sidelights position 2 is dipped beam.

the leaver is high beam.

qwakers:

rybrx7:

qwakers:

looks like this:

it has two settings, when engine off both only put sidelights on, when engine is on position 1 is sidelights position 2 is dipped beam.

the leaver is high beam.

Ahhhh ok, that makes sense! I’ll give that a try tomorrow and see how it goes!

Thanks mate :slight_smile:

Ryan

Another day another problem!

Today it won’t even start, just a rapid turning over noise.

Had the battery on charge all day to eliminate that one

Could it be a solenoid? How can i tell and where would that be located in the glovebox fuse thing?

I turned the ignition on, and pushed the test button, and got the lights on the dash in the attachment, could anyone tell me what they all mean and if they indicate a problem?

Thanks

Ryan

the test button simply tests if the bulbs work on the lights that don’t do a self test when you turn the ignition on! :grimacing:

(so no, they dont indicate a problem)

qwakers:
the test button simply tests if the bulbs work on the lights that don’t do a self test when you turn the ignition on! :grimacing:

(so no, they dont indicate a problem)

D’oh! :blush:

Just a wild guess. If you’ve got the cab up for any reason, there is a failsafe device which stops the engine starting. Check that the cab is properly secure.

OR, is it out of fuel?

OR, is the system airlocked?

OR, is the fuel filter blocked?

Not much to stop those old Ivecos starting so doubt if it will be terminal.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:
Just a wild guess. If you’ve got the cab up for any reason, there is a failsafe device which stops the engine starting. Check that the cab is properly secure.

OR, is it out of fuel?

OR, is the system airlocked?

OR, is the fuel filter blocked?

Not much to stop those old Ivecos starting so doubt if it will be terminal.

Thanks Pete,

Do you know where to check for the cab safety feature? I’m assuming it’s a set of contacts or something somewhere?

Not sure exactly how to check the other bits (put 10 litre can of fuel in yesterday)

where do you live? maybe someone knows someone to recommend to take a look at it for you?

I cant recall. But you can check it another way. Fully tilt the cab and switch on the ignition. On the o/s of the chassis near the engine you should see a starter button. Push it. If it starts, then the problem is with the cab lock. You’ll be able to see it once the cab is up.

It bothers me that you put fuel in it. If it was empty, it will need bleeding.

What is your location?

I’m up in Warrington, Cheshire

The tank wasn’t empty, but the fuel light had just come on and I wasn’t keen on running it on a low tank so I just topped it up.

I’ll check all the wiring again. It didn’t start the other day, rapid clicking and then it randomly started so its intermittent. I’m guessing the rapid clicking is the solenoid on the starter motor, so might not be getting a sufficient current?

I may have knocked something somewhere :smiley:

check all the connections are clean and tight from the batterys to the junction on the chassis.

Inevitably Virtually Everything Comes Off

Burn it

Grumpy Dad:
Inevitably Virtually Everything Comes Off

Burn it

Believe me, past couple of days i’ve been tempted! :open_mouth: :laughing:

Don’t suppose anyone know what this air line would be called so I can search for a new one?

It has different sized nuts on each end, one 9/16" and the other smaller. Cant seem to get the clear pipe out so must be one piece

Its attached to the brake air cylinder but has a crack in it so its leaking air.

If you push the part where the plastic pipe goes into , towards the main body of the fitting the plastic pipe will pull out . Hard to describe easy to do .
Take the fitting to a pneumatics stockist they will have one . The plastic pipe is measured on the o/d. E.g. 4mm the threaded part will be BSP E.g. 3/8 inch bsp (British standard pipe )
Just take the old fitting they will match it up :wink:
Use some ptfe tape or some pipe sealant on the thread when refitting .