Are most trucks manual or automatic?

I’ve been wondering whether most trucks nowadays are manual or automatic? A lot of trucking vlogs I watch they seem to be automatic, is this the case for most trucks (C2 and C1) or mostly C1?

Or does it completely depend on how old the trucks are that the firm uses?

A lot of the modern trucks are automatic , there are a mixture of manual & Automatic amongst older trucks, some places still run both.

TruckerWannabe123:
I’ve been wondering whether most trucks nowadays are manual or automatic? A lot of trucking vlogs I watch they seem to be automatic, is this the case for most trucks (C2 and C1) or mostly C1?

From what I know most LGV C1 (7.5 tonners) are manual unless things have changed recently :question:

In my experience being on Agency, Most Class 1 and Class 2 vehicles are Automatics these days (Anything 2010 onwards anyway) Although there is the odd exception and in some cases, a manual is much easier to drive in town than an automatic.

Most 7.5 Ton vehicles generally seem to be manuals but one major company I do work for has just started having their 2019 7.5 ton vehicles as Automatics in London. (Good luck pulling onto roundabouts with them)

Take it your asking as to whether to do your training/ test in an automatic or manual?

Only issue that may arise is once you do pass & your asked to drive a manual. Seen some really struggle in same situation.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

I’m going to do my test in the manual anyway just so I can drive both comfortably but I was just generally curious if manuals are still as common as they used to be.

I think the OP meant the old HGV Class 1 when he posted C1 and not LGV C1 - this can get very confusing when mixing the old pre 1981 HGV terminology with the current LGV system which has been in for nearly 40 years

TruckerWannabe123:
I’m going to do my test in the manual anyway just so I can drive both comfortably but I was just generally curious if manuals are still as common as they used to be.

I passed my HGV Class 2 in a manual but I wouldn’t recommend it. The problem is that lessons are very expensive and you don’t have many hours to get up to test standard. Just get your licence the easiest way. Besides, I’ve never driven a manual truck since I passed my Class 2. If an agency offered me a manual job I would turn it down…but as it happens, I’ve only been offered automatics to drive.

ROG:
I think the OP meant the old HGV Class 1 when he posted C1 and not LGV C1 - this can get very confusing when mixing the old pre 1981 HGV terminology with the current LGV system which has been in for nearly 40 years

Yeah I’m confusing them, I’m referring to LGV C and LGV C+E. A lot of job advertisements still use the old naming system for some reason.

carlston49:

TruckerWannabe123:

I passed my HGV Class 2 in a manual but I wouldn’t recommend it. The problem is that lessons are very expensive and you don’t have many hours to get up to test standard. Just get your licence the easiest way. Besides, I’ve never driven a manual truck since I passed my Class 2. If an agency offered me a manual job I would turn it down…but as it happens, I’ve only been offered automatics to drive.

Interesting, maybe I’ll do my first lesson in a manual and just see how it goes. Would hate to turn down a job just because I’m not comfortable driving a manual, especially if they have half gears.

You will be very unlucky to come across a manual hgv now. Before I get shot down, they are still about, the odd 4/4 here and there, but it don’t happen much. Tbh, if you drive a manual car, it won’t take you long to faffle it out.

Cool, probably just going to do the automatic then. Thanks.

And any chance to come across a lorry that requires double clutching?

Btw, just passed my theory today and I’m going for training with a local company that has a manual truck.

dead.duck:

You’ll be lucky to find one - not come across one for decades

Haha- only on a knackered manual training vehicle!

We purchase new training vehicles every year. The last manual, as I recall, was delivered in 2013. I asked the salesman how many manual vehicles he’d sold that year and he said that he had sold just the one - to me!

We now run 100% auto except for C1, D1 and BE which were inadvertently left out of the regulations so they still have to be manual.

The argument for training on a manual is inherently flawed. There are many different types of manual so the chances of getting one the same as the one you trained on are very hit and miss. I’m old enough (well past retirement age) to have trained on a 4 speed crash box. And no-one ever explained to me how to use a range change, splitter, twin splitter etc etc. And I never ended up stood at the side of the road cos I couldn’t change gear. I’m no Einstein and I consider that most drivers are not thick and therefore are perfectly capable of sorting it out. And nowadays, there’s always utube to consult!

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Quite a few new manual gearbox vehicles out there in the construction industry as they are a bit less liable to getting stuck I drive a new 18t manual and the company I work for is about to buy 2 new 4 axle manuals. Around London quite a few companies run 3 axle manual gearboxes. Having said that pass easy on an automatic then get a professional driver to show you range changing.

So what’s the difference between a manual lorry and a manual car in a city driving? I find my automatic car easier and quicker responding to traffick conditions than a manual car.

dead.duck:
So what’s the difference between a manual lorry and a manual car in a city driving? I find my automatic car easier and quicker responding to traffick conditions than a manual car.

A truck clutch that feels like you are going to the gym, a left arm that has to do range changes to get 8 forward gears from a 4 speed manual, and the satisfaction of leaving automatic trucks way behind at the lights.

Many automatic trucks won’t let you dig your way out of trouble with the wheels on a building site they get all self protecting.

A car weighs 1.5 tonnes and has 200 horsepower the truck weighs 32 tonnes and has 300 horsepower.

ukjamesuk:

dead.duck:

A truck clutch that feels like you are going to the gym, a left arm that has to do range changes to get 8 forward gears from a 4 speed manual, and the satisfaction of leaving automatic trucks way behind at the lights.

Many automatic trucks won’t let you dig your way out of trouble with the wheels on a building site they get all self protecting.

A car weighs 1.5 tonnes and has 200 horsepower the truck weighs 32 tonnes and has 300 horsepower.

Lmao, my car is about 1 tonne and had 50 horses, my truck is 44 tonnes and has 450. The 7.5 (when I go out in it) has a 6 speed box and must be dd clutched

Peter Smythe:
And nowadays, there’s always utube to consult!

Good luck all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

:smiley: As I indeed had to do after turning up at empty yard 5 in the morning to find my usual new auto truck was in for maintenance and had my load in an old knackered 6 wheel DAF
With 4 over 4!
Quick tutorial from good old YouTube and a mile up the road it was like I’d never driven anything else. :laughing:

I drive various manuals more often than autos know and have grown to prefer a slap over 8 speed to an auto, especially as you don’t have the 30 minute delay while tr6ing to get out at a roundabout :unamused:

Although I do have to say I wouldn’t to of wanted to have to master a manual for my test, there’s so much other stuff to think about.

ROG:

TruckerWannabe123:

From what I know most LGV C1 (7.5 tonners) are manual unless things have changed recently :question:

Things are changing ROG majority we see coming through sales are autos…Nowdays a lot of vehicles are auto as standard and you need to spec a manual…