New pass Cat C job

Hi everyone, need your advice please guys. :slight_smile:

I am a new driver. Passed my Cat C in February first time. Just passed my CPC yesterday as well. I am very serious about it. Would like to get a full time job and have a successful career in this industry.

Can you please give me an advice please what to do next? Start with an agency or just apply for jobs? I am just a bit scared that my age will put them off. I am 22 years of age. Been driving for 3 years. Clean licence.

Some people say just start with an agency but some say just apply for jobs, so I am stuck a bit. I live in Sunderland but willing to move anywhere in the country to get a full time job and gain experience.

Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

:smiley: :smiley:

SamR:
Hi everyone, need your advice please guys. :slight_smile:

I am a new driver. Passed my Cat C in February first time. Just passed my CPC yesterday as well. I am very serious about it. Would like to get a full time job and have a successful career in this industry.

Can you please give me an advice please what to do next? Start with an agency or just apply for jobs? I am just a bit scared that my age will put them off. I am 22 years of age. Been driving for 3 years. Clean licence.

Some people say just start with an agency but some say just apply for jobs, so I am stuck a bit. I live in Sunderland but willing to move anywhere in the country to get a full time job and gain experience.

Thanks a lot. :slight_smile:

Why not go both? You can quit agency with a moment’s notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started looking at agencies and quickly realised they’re all full of ■■■■, often advertising excellent sounding jobs that never existed. All they’re bothered about is getting you on their books.
I then started looking at hauliers websites for proper jobs and emailing any that didn’t list some.
I soon found full time work with one with excellent pay for the area and am home every day.
They are still looking for more drivers if you fancy relocating to Cornwall!

I would apply for both agency and direct jobs.
Indeed and CV Library can be good starting points to get an idea what is around.

Apply for everything but keep a backbone and don’t let them push you around doing warehouse work between driving shifts. A lot of companies are very flexible on the 2 year experience thing. My first agency job technically needed 2 years experience according to the ad. I registered and they got me a driving assessment with the company (Which included how to use a tachograph briefly, how to work the tail lift) and I was set.

Do you have a biggish airport near you? That might be a way into Class 2 experience without having to deal with traffic wardens and the “real world” too much

Each time I’ve registered with an agency, they give you the option of PAYE or Ltd. I always chose PAYE as the pay difference was never worth it. I was always asked the minimum amount per hour I would accept, so have a figure in mind. Do not sign any damage waivers about you being responsible for any costs or damages etc - I know Driver Hire like to pull that with drivers at some offices. Avoid umbrella/Payroll companies unless you like the idea of paying someone to pay you.

Most agencies have been a waste of time (Especially the smaller ones) . The ones I’ve had most luck with are: The Best Connection, Manpower, ExtraStaff. Each agency varies by office so it’s a bit of a roll of the dice. I’ve heard good things about PerTemps generally too. Each agency should have some companies they can send new passes to. Once you start a job at an agency, if you don’t like it, you can generally switch between other companies at the drop of a hat.

Edit: There was a new pass working at Gatwick airport when I was there a couple years back now, he was 21 when he started as a Class 2 driver for DHL Supply Chain which only covered the airport.

Try Co-op, Birtley. I don’t know if they take on new drivers or drivers under 25, but it’s worth asking. Approach them directly rather that through an agency. If you go through an agency you will be tied to the agency as their contract doesn’t allow the Co-op to poach the agency drivers.

Stussy:
I started looking at agencies and quickly realised they’re all full of [zb], often advertising excellent sounding jobs that never existed. All they’re bothered about is getting you on their books.
I then started looking at hauliers websites for proper jobs and emailing any that didn’t list some.
I soon found full time work with one with excellent pay for the area and am home every day.

Yes please mate. Can you send me PM? I tried but messages not going through. Willing to move to Cornwall.

If you’re willing to travel, Lutterworth, rugby, Northampton and avonmouth spring to mind.

SamR:

Stussy:
I started looking at agencies and quickly realised they’re all full of [zb], often advertising excellent sounding jobs that never existed. All they’re bothered about is getting you on their books.

Yes please mate. Can you send me PM? I tried but messages not going through. Willing to move to Cornwall.

Replied :grimacing:

Rugby would be a good spot for you. Lutterworth, crick and Northampton are all a short commute and believe me, in that area they are falling all over themselves for drivers.

My advice would be to look full time. Agencies offer ÂŁ62 per hour, regular work, easy work, etc etc but when you register, the jobs magically disappear. I hate agencies with a passion!

Primark, Northampton are recruiting (you did say you’d relocate).

johnteller:
Rugby would be a good spot for you. Lutterworth, crick and Northampton are all a short commute and believe me, in that area they are falling all over themselves for drivers.

Okay mate, thank you very much.

Made a list of local haulage companies in the north east and decided to give all of them a call. Made around 60 calls if not more - unfortunately no luck.

On Tuesday I will call to companies in Lutterworth, Crick and Northampton as you mentioned them. Hopefully someone will decide to give me a chance…

johnteller:
My advice would be to look full time. Agencies offer ÂŁ62 per hour, regular work, easy work, etc etc but when you register, the jobs magically disappear. I hate agencies with a passion!

Signed up with one in Newcastle yesterday. He was honest with me and never said there’s gonna be loads of jobs etc. He just said if any job comes up and if that company ok with new pass drivers - we will give you a call. I said okay, no worries.

Also, few nights ago I was applying for jobs all over UK and applied for one in Ipswich. Looks like through agency. Guy called me in the morning. We had a chat. I told him how it is and that I live in Sunderland but willing to reallocate IF needed. He said sign up with our branch based in Sunderland and try there first. If not, I’ll try something for you in Ipswich. He said there’s jobs for new pass etc… don’t know if I should believe him or not.

matto75:
Primark, Northampton are recruiting (you did say you’d relocate).

Thank you. Yes, I would reallocate for a job. Will give them a call on Tuesday.

I wouldn’t believe a word agencies say, all they’re interested in is getting signed up on their books.
Did you apply for the one I messaged you with? It took about a week for them to get back to me when I did, and rang asking for me to come in for an interview.

Stussy:
I wouldn’t believe a word agencies say, all they’re interested in is getting signed up on their books.
Did you apply for the one I messaged you with? It took about a week for them to get back to me when I did, and rang asking for me to come in for an interview.

Surely they are not evils knowing I live 300 miles away from the job and saying there’s jobs etc.

Yes I did mate. [emoji1303]

Before I moved from northants to Cornwall (280 miles) I was ringing agencies in Cornwall asking about specific jobs they were advertising, when pressed they said they could not guarantee it was going to be the job advertised, and that I would be better coming down to sign up and then see what work there was.
Basically, the jobs didn’t exist as advertised. They were listed as full time permanent, to which I asked about and they admitted on the phone that they were not! So it was just lies to get you to sign up and then give you something more crap than promised

Stussy:
Before I moved from northants to Cornwall (280 miles) I was ringing agencies in Cornwall asking about specific jobs they were advertising, when pressed they said they could not guarantee it was going to be the job advertised, and that I would be better coming down to sign up and then see what work there was.
Basically, the jobs didn’t exist as advertised. They were listed as full time permanent, to which I asked about and they admitted on the phone that they were not! So it was just lies to get you to sign up and then give you something more crap than promised

Disgraceful mate…

Welcome to the world of agencies!
After that I decided to take my time and only look for jobs with companies as a proper employee