Do I need previous delivery experience of some kind?

Hi, hoping to become a truck driver in the future, I’ll start off with C2 and do that for a year or so to get some on the road experience and then move to C+E as long haul is really want I want to do.

My question is to start driving C2 trucks and get my first job, is having some kind of previous delivery type work pretty much a requirement? I was thinking maybe Amazon delivery in a car or something just so I can demonstrate that I actually know what it’s like being on the road and driving for hours. Or in your experience is previous driving experience really not required to get your first C2 driver job?

I want to give myself the best possible chances and it would be so frustrating if I paid to do my C2 licence and then employers reject me because I literally have no delivery experience of any kind.

Am I over thinking it?

There are many companies that employ 3.5 tonne drivers to deliver to customers. This could give you driving experience to help you pass your HGV test first time. This is module 3 the practical driving test. Even three months doing this would help, especially if it was a box van.

Even bus companies that take on new bus drivers, like job candidates who have done at least 6 months 3.5 tonne van work. This gives you experience in not having a centrally placed rear view mirror and just using the door/side mirrors. When I first did my HGV Class 2 training, it took me two days just to get used to only using the door/side mirrors.

You don’t NEED previous experience, many people get taken on green, but it will certainly help. A warning though, I would give amazon the swerve, they take you on self employed, make you pay rental on your own van, don’t treat you well at all. You are looking at netting 2-300 a week for stupid hours doing 100+ drops a day. They are well known for it. Just a warning

Thanks for the replies. I’d be happy to drive a 3.5 ton van for 6 months or so before hand.

Just get your C licence and get straight into driving them.
There’s no point in messing around doing hundreds of drops in a car or van first. It’s essentially the same process anyway: drive somewhere, drop off goods then drive to the next one.
Crawling around town jumping in and out of a car or van every few streets won’t give you any experience that would be worthwhile regarding delivering in a truck

I don’t know where you live mate but in my area as long as you have the licence you will get a job, even if your only driving experience is on a push bike.

Same goes for the busses actually round these parts, as long you know which end the drivers seat is at they will give you an interview and the carrot with that is, they will also put you through the test.

If you want to drive a van for a few months because you haven’t got the licence, go for it, but don’t do it because you feel you need to do it for a job, as said multi drop in a van bears little resemblance to a 1 hit long distance run in an artic.

Where abouts are you?

There are a good few places known for taking on new passes.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I live in the Colchester area.

Sounds like it shouldn’t be too difficult to get my foot in the door then based on what you guys are saying. I’ll probably skip the multi-drop job then and just go for my licence and apply for class 2 jobs right away, get some experience on the road then go for C+E.

Just to say regarding my previous comments I was referring mainly towards C+E which with Ipswich and Felixstowe on your doorstep there should be plenty of work for you.

C might not be as easy to find work however there are certainly still jobs out there that take new passes.