Schools near me

Hi all, I’ve already got the ball rolling and passed my theory last week, with hazard perception and Module 2 booked for the next 2/3 weeks. Would like any recommendations of trucking schools in the central Scotland area, and best ways to go about getting in to the industry. Fyi I am 19.

Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Your age wont help you and will restrict your opportunities. But it’s not a “no hope” situation - just a bit more tricky. Your best chance is with a family firm; they tend to give young folks a start where some of the big operators wont.

As for training, I don’t know anyone in your area. So your best option, as far as I am concerned (slightly tongue in cheek) is to take a residential course with us. Folks have travelled a lot further and been pleased they did. The total cost of CAT C is £1260 and there is no charge for accommodation.

Good luck with it all, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

as pete says residential is a good option as it focuses the mind and all the outside junk does not interfere with daily training, that’s how my lad did it, he came from the other end of the country to pete, (other trainers are available)

Army Royal Logistics Corp (or whatever they changed the name too now) does free training, free uniform (one colour), job at the end of it and exciting opportunities for world travel. :sunglasses:

I got trained to drive a tank and fire a big ■■■■■■■■ gun, nice uniform, didn’t have to work too much. I drove a Scammel transporter in the yard and hit someone’s car. No one saw so whistled and quietly walked away. Great fun! :smiling_imp:

19 is a good age to get your HGV licence, as when you turn 21 you will have had your licence for two years. Most employers won’t take on a new pass. Employers that do take on new passes are often ones that have difficulty attracting enough experienced drivers because the work is less desirable. I got my first job delivering to stores that had notoriously difficult access and involved a lot of hand ball moving heavy pallets with a manual pump truck.

Well, passed hazard perception yesterday with 90/100 :smiley:
CPC is booked for Monday the 13th, any recommendations for practise material? TIA

Congratulations on passing both multiple choice and hazard. You are now in a position to arrange your practical driver training and the Mod 2 is not required for this. (But it is tidier if it is in place tbh).

The practice material for MOD 2 is basically the same as multiple choice. It takes the same information but asks questions based on a scenario. Make sure you read the scenario properly otherwise your answers wont make sense.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Passed CPC yesterday with 49/50!

Booking practical training later on today with Alex McAra, hopefully for about mid June.