Tacho error

I have a Q. I did knob thing and took over a wagon from another driver who was on night shift. I placed my card in driver 2 slot! Don’t know why I did this, I entered my manual entry still not aware of my mistake I then drove vehicle back to depot then realised my mistake and printed out and wrote on the back of my doings for the previous 4hrs. Will my actions cover my mistake although an infringement will strike up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unless I’m misunderstanding what you’ve done, from what I can see you’ve done nothing wrong. so you drove the truck back to your yard with your card in slot 2? there is no problem with that unless you’re saying your card was in slot 2 and the “night” drivers card was in slot 1 and you drove on his card?

The night driver took his card with him. So I’ve driven the vehicle with mine in slot 2 and nothing in slot 1.

MrGodSquad:
unless I’m misunderstanding what you’ve done, from what I can see you’ve done nothing wrong. so you drove the truck back to your yard with your card in slot 2? there is no problem with that

Is this meant to be a joke :confused:

Anyway OP, the best thing to do in that situation would be to do a vehicle printout and write the explanation on it and show your start time and the time you took over the vehicle, that way you’ve got an accurate record of your activities on the printout, don’t forget to sign the printout.

I generally think its best to do 2 printouts, hand one in when your card is downloaded and keep one with you in case you get stopped, you’ve got to keep one with you for 28 days anyway.

I’m assuming the printout you did was a card printout, if you have access to the same vehicle you can still do a vehicle printout for the day/night in question or get the usual driver to do them for you, if you was driving the vehicle before and after midnight you may have to do 24 hour printouts for both days to get all your activities.

If you get stopped and show the DVSA bods your vehicle printout/printouts they will be able to see that it was a genuine mistake.

Learn from it and move on :wink:

From what information you have given to me it sounds like I’ve done the correct action to explain my error. Thanks very much.

Take the printouts and keep quiet… A ghost driver drove back without putting his card in the tacho 1 hole and you sat in the passenger seat as driver 2. I’m thinking you put in your manual entries as driver 2 so you travelled in the passenger seat as POA. I’m amazed the tacho wasn’t screaming no card inserted. Anyway keep quiet and probably no one will notice

ukjamesuk:
Take the printouts and keep quiet… A ghost driver drove back without putting his card in the tacho 1 hole and you sat in the passenger seat as driver 2. I’m thinking you put in your manual entries as driver 2 so you travelled in the passenger seat as POA. I’m amazed the tacho wasn’t screaming no card inserted. Anyway keep quiet and probably no one will notice

Sorry but that’s terrible advice, you’re suggestion turns a genuine mistake into possible fraud.

The recorded data in the VU will show that the vehicle was driven without a card in slot 1 as soon as it’s analysed.

Telling a DVSA bod that someone else drove without a card while you sat in the passenger seat will most likely see the DVSA visiting your company to check the company records.

Sent from my mobile.

Sorry I was explaining what the tachograph would show . I’m not talking about telling lies I’m saying keep quiet and the problem will probably just go away.

It’s fine I’ve had the infringement come in and it’s for me to acknowledge my error and I’ve done the correct procedures so all is good. The good to come from this is mistakes are to be learnt from.
Cheers guys