Wannabe lady driver here - help?

Hello

I am currently a full time secondary school teacher that is in need of a career change!

About me: I’m 25 years old and in good health. I am also a female! I’ve been a science teacher for 4 years and had excellent attendence and punctuality. I have a degree to work in a hospital laboratory, but I feel I would be bored working in this area (that’s why I ended up being a teacher). I have to work 3 months notice before I am released from teaching. I have had my driving licence for 3 years this year and have had no claims or fines, etc. I do a lot of motorway driving to see my partner that lives an hour away. I have driven a 3.5 T van that I used for moving house which I found easy. I also ride a motorcycle that I have had for 6 years, so I am very road aware.

I have been looking into getting a category C licence during the 6 weeks holidays with a local company and then hoping to find work before September. I’ve also seen adverts on job sites that advertise to train you and find you work, then take monthly repayments when you’re employed - but I worry I’d be treated badly by them!

I have a few Qs if you professionals wouldn’t mind helping me?

1. Will the licence training teach me about loading/unloading and theory test content? The training I have seen is 4 days and then a test on the 5th day, it also includes the CPC part (which I don’t really understand too well).

2. Is the CPC 35 hours training classroom based or driving based / how does it work? I am completely confused about this… If someone could explain it, that would be great.

3. What are the hours like? I am hoping to be able to work days and be home for the evenings. My partner lives an hour away so I’d need a weekend or two consecutive days off to visit him like I currently do. I also wouldn’t be able to spend nights away. Is that possible?

4. How do multi drop jobs work? Do you drive long distances between drops, or is it more like local deliveries a few mins apart? Is multi drop work better or long distances (in your opinion)?

5. Are there many facilities for females? Also, would I be looked at as incompetent being a woman by other drivers/companies (be honest!)?

6. What are agencies like? Am I best to go full time with a company or work with an agency? I have a mortgage so I’d need a regular guaranteed wage.

7. What kinds of manoeuvres do you do on your test? I’ve read something about reversing into a bay, but what else is there?

8. Do you plan your own routes to deliveries or are you given them by the employer? Would I need to sit and work out where I’m going before I leave the depot?

9. What stresses you most about the job? As a teacher I have many stresses and lots of work to do when I get home. I am willing to give up the holidays to live a happier and less stressful life on road. What are the stresses of being a truck driver?

10. Last of all - would you recommend HGV driving as a career for me taking into consideration all of the above?

If you’ve got to this point… Thank you! Sorry it’s a long post.

Thank you in advance.

Hayley [emoji4]

I used to be a maths teacher… so maybe not the best person to reply.

The hours in driving would be just as long tbh. It depends why you want to give up teaching! If you feel you are spending too much time in preparation and marking… I would say you are doing too much. You would miss the pension from teaching which is v.good compared with what is offered outside. How many schools have you taught in… the job is so different from school to school.

I nursed my mother with Alzheimers for almost 7 years and so getting back into the classroom was not easy. I tried 7.5T as there were loads of pallet freight firms where I used to live and so when she died I just did CPC and then when I had enough cash did class 2.

As for women in driving I have met quite a few who enjoy it, one a former conveyancer and others who have done factory work and all sorts.

Questions

1. No a good firm will give instruction
  2. CPC can either be 35 hours or modular
  3. it seems you are thinking the hours will be less than teaching and you will have more time for your partner. I’d say no.
  4. You have a load of goods and you drive from location to location. multi-drop is usually Class 2 and long distance class 1.
  5. would depend on the job. The women i have met enjoy it.
  6. avoid agencies at all costs. you’ll be earnign about 1/3 less than teaching and minimal pension.
  7. Best to ask a driving school but basically the same as a car BUT bigger vehicle with the main focus on road awareness and anticipation.
  8. routes given you
  9. stressful in a different way.
  10. NO - but happy to chat on the phone (send me a message). Trouble is I do 6 days on - 3 days off and my next days available are 26-28 April. I work in recovery. I may be able to chat whilst on duty but in my job it just depends what work comes in.

To help you make your mind up visit a few companies and look at as many roles as possible.

Age is well on your side, so weigh up all options and don’t be too hasty.

i always feel sad when i see professional people give up thier jobs to truck drive, because in many cases they see it with rose tinted glasses and it does not meet even close to the mark. I know in canada, where I drove twin 53 foot trailers etc plus mountain roads, in horrendous storms etc it is not even considered a skilled job. Be prepared that people or planners will treat you accordingly and without much consideration or courtesy when you collect/ deliver the loads day in day out.

Like I said to a guy thinking about giving up an office job on a post “Wages” if you can- try to do the job part time before giving up your career. Even if you get a loan to do so. It will certainly pay for itself via driving agencies during the school holidays etc and also be used as a sideline throughout your life if you feel it is not for you.

A family member in the UK likewise didn’t like teaching and he became a Education Welfare Officer for a number of years, before chasing the $$$ by doing his masters (×2) and he was in 30’s at the time btw, to become an education psycologist. He works in Scotland now and is on over 55k…still gets the school holidays and evenings plus sounds an easy job too.

Alternatively, why don’t you apply to be a train driver instead? Excellent union 35hr weeks very, very well paid etc

Don’t get me wrong, I like lorries and especially loved driving a peterbilt with air horns etc but I’m so glad to have make better use of my qualifications now, especially as I get older.

Best of luck with your plans.

Hi Hayley, first of all, 9-5 is very rare in truck driving. Multi drop can mean anything… I do all drops around Leicester but I have had drops all over the country on c2. Drops can be nice, or can be a real ■■■■■ to get into. You never know until you get there. That’s where the stress comes in.

I would avoid agencies, they pay good but will leave you at home sitting on your bum waiting for the phone to ring, this is worse for a new driver.

My advice to you would be, if your heart is really set on it, get the license, work in the holidays for agency, then make your mind up for yourself. You will be glad you did.

Full time agency is no good if you have a mortgage to pay. Women truckers are fine, you will have no problems, there are a lot of knuckledraggers in this game of both sexes!! Whatever you decide, good luck with it (and contrary to the advice I was given, if you ring for a job, don’t yell at them)

WARNING BELLS GOING OFF!!! You mentioned a site where they find you a job and they take monthly payments. Sounds like a broker, if you want to pay monthly, try Pete. There is no driver shortage either. I’m on a mobile phone, so I will leave it to others to explain what a broker is. If you think of a driving school as a permanent job, brokers are agencies. Beware the bull sales pitch they give you.

Why not consider a loan & book your training for half term. Then spend holidays doing agency work, firstly to pay for training, but also to get a variety of experiences.

Work will be dictated by your location to a certain extent. Retail is easy (some supermarkets you don’t get involved in delivery at all, you just drive). If you want 9-5 (or 7-6 more likely), your best bet is palletised delivery or builders’ merchants but you’ll still be doing alternate Saturdays.

As a guide, I’m in the midlands, delivering for a large clothes retailer and pulling in £36k with alternate Saturdays, average 90hr fortnight, 28 days holiday and standard pension working late afternoon/evenings. You’ll always get a weekend as you’re required to have 45hrs every week. No guarantees this will be Sat/Sun though (luckily I do, but increasingly employers want weekend cover as standard). Personally, I’d look to see what employers are in your area & then consider if any of them might offer the lifestyle you’re after. Agencies are a good way to do this as a new driver.

Agencies can’t guarantee any hours, but they can give you a good overview of the local market and help you make invaluable contacts. They’re perfect for dipping your toe in the water, so to speak. They’ll also be useful for getting you in the door as a new driver.

Consider getting your class 1. Once you’ve got it you’ve got far more options open to you.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went into it because I enjoy driving, always have done.

First job the hours were Mon-Fri 5.45 to 5.45 and now my hours are generally 6.45-16.30 until Friday which is 6-13.30 weekends off.

So many jobs out there that not 1 single person could give you the answers.

With your qualifications I’d personally search about a bit first but that’s up to you entirely. DO NOT go through a broker though they’re a rip off. Each school should price match and offer some kind of help with payment as in plans etc.

Good luck.

1st avoid brokers go visit the provider you wish to train with depends where you live you maybe a teacher but I don’t have crystal balls ( or ball for that matter yes I am a driver 1st female yes ) I do nights out without a problem have done for many years you just have to think outside the box a bit

I go all over uk never done multi drop work so cant answer any of those questions not done a lot of cat C work either although if you want to be home every night you could look into driving for Biffa or others are available ( collecting recycle mainly from business not household )

What i would do is get the licence and do angency work in the school hols… 6 week hols coming up :slight_smile: then you can decide if its for you or not. Im on class 1 doing days mon-fri with the odd Saturday if i want it. Avg 60hr week. Start/finish times vary usally 5am ish and finish around 1600. I have been known to start as early as 0130 but normally done by noon

jessejazza:
I used to be a maths teacher… so maybe not the best person to reply.

The hours in driving would be just as long tbh. It depends why you want to give up teaching! If you feel you are spending too much time in preparation and marking… I would say you are doing too much. You would miss the pension from teaching which is v.good compared with what is offered outside. How many schools have you taught in… the job is so different from school to school.

I nursed my mother with Alzheimers for almost 7 years and so getting back into the classroom was not easy. I tried 7.5T as there were loads of pallet freight firms where I used to live and so when she died I just did CPC and then when I had enough cash did class 2.

As for women in driving I have met quite a few who enjoy it, one a former conveyancer and others who have done factory work and all sorts.

Questions

1. No a good firm will give instruction
  2. CPC can either be 35 hours or modular
  3. it seems you are thinking the hours will be less than teaching and you will have more time for your partner. I’d say no.
  4. You have a load of goods and you drive from location to location. multi-drop is usually Class 2 and long distance class 1.
  5. would depend on the job. The women i have met enjoy it.
  6. avoid agencies at all costs. you’ll be earnign about 1/3 less than teaching and minimal pension.
  7. Best to ask a driving school but basically the same as a car BUT bigger vehicle with the main focus on road awareness and anticipation.
  8. routes given you
  9. stressful in a different way.
  10. NO - but happy to chat on the phone (send me a message). Trouble is I do 6 days on - 3 days off and my next days available are 26-28 April. I work in recovery. I may be able to chat whilst on duty but in my job it just depends what work comes in.

To help you make your mind up visit a few companies and look at as many roles as possible.

Hi, thank you for answering my questions! I want to give up teaching for a variety of reasons. I went into teaching from university, I’ve never had another job so I have nothing to compare it with.

I fancy a change and I feel like this job doesn’t suit who I am. Regarding the hours, I am aware the shifts will be longer but as long as I get some time to see my partner that would be fine. E.g. I’ve seen shifts advertised as 4 days on and 4 days off. Something like that would be great for me.

What’s working in recovery like?

rsg1234567:
Age is well on your side, so weigh up all options and don’t be too hasty.

i always feel sad when i see professional people give up thier jobs to truck drive, because in many cases they see it with rose tinted glasses and it does not meet even close to the mark. I know in canada, where I drove twin 53 foot trailers etc plus mountain roads, in horrendous storms etc it is not even considered a skilled job. Be prepared that people or planners will treat you accordingly and without much consideration or courtesy when you collect/ deliver the loads day in day out.

Like I said to a guy thinking about giving up an office job on a post “Wages” if you can- try to do the job part time before giving up your career. Even if you get a loan to do so. It will certainly pay for itself via driving agencies during the school holidays etc and also be used as a sideline throughout your life if you feel it is not for you.

A family member in the UK likewise didn’t like teaching and he became a Education Welfare Officer for a number of years, before chasing the $$$ by doing his masters (×2) and he was in 30’s at the time btw, to become an education psycologist. He works in Scotland now and is on over 55k…still gets the school holidays and evenings plus sounds an easy job too.

Alternatively, why don’t you apply to be a train driver instead? Excellent union 35hr weeks very, very well paid etc

Don’t get me wrong, I like lorries and especially loved driving a peterbilt with air horns etc but I’m so glad to have make better use of my qualifications now, especially as I get older.

Best of luck with your plans.

Hello, thank you for the reply. That driving in Canada sounds horrible! But I bet it’s so beautiful without the storms! There is a shortage of teachers in the UK, especially in core subjects like science, so I am confident I could find another place if I wanted to return to it.

I’ve looked into other jobs within the education industry but I just feel like a complete change. I’ll do my class 2 in the holidays and try agency work as a taster. The problem is, a lot of companies want someone with 2 years experience. How are you supposed to get experience if no one takes you on in the first place? I always have tutoring as a back up as well, but I’ve really got my heart set on having a go.

Thanks for your advice.

johnteller:
Hi Hayley, first of all, 9-5 is very rare in truck driving. Multi drop can mean anything… I do all drops around Leicester but I have had drops all over the country on c2. Drops can be nice, or can be a real ■■■■■ to get into. You never know until you get there. That’s where the stress comes in.

I would avoid agencies, they pay good but will leave you at home sitting on your bum waiting for the phone to ring, this is worse for a new driver.

My advice to you would be, if your heart is really set on it, get the license, work in the holidays for agency, then make your mind up for yourself. You will be glad you did.

Full time agency is no good if you have a mortgage to pay. Women truckers are fine, you will have no problems, there are a lot of knuckledraggers in this game of both sexes!! Whatever you decide, good luck with it (and contrary to the advice I was given, if you ring for a job, don’t yell at them)

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was definitely getting alarm bells myself about that broker! I’m glad you said it too. You’re right, as with some of the other people that replied to me - get the licence and try agency work in the holidays to see if I like it. That’s what I’ll be doing. Thank you for your advice.

matto75:
Why not consider a loan & book your training for half term. Then spend holidays doing agency work, firstly to pay for training, but also to get a variety of experiences.

Work will be dictated by your location to a certain extent. Retail is easy (some supermarkets you don’t get involved in delivery at all, you just drive). If you want 9-5 (or 7-6 more likely), your best bet is palletised delivery or builders’ merchants but you’ll still be doing alternate Saturdays.

As a guide, I’m in the midlands, delivering for a large clothes retailer and pulling in £36k with alternate Saturdays, average 90hr fortnight, 28 days holiday and standard pension working late afternoon/evenings. You’ll always get a weekend as you’re required to have 45hrs every week. No guarantees this will be Sat/Sun though (luckily I do, but increasingly employers want weekend cover as standard). Personally, I’d look to see what employers are in your area & then consider if any of them might offer the lifestyle you’re after. Agencies are a good way to do this as a new driver.

Agencies can’t guarantee any hours, but they can give you a good overview of the local market and help you make invaluable contacts. They’re perfect for dipping your toe in the water, so to speak. They’ll also be useful for getting you in the door as a new driver.

Consider getting your class 1. Once you’ve got it you’ve got far more options open to you.

Good luck.

Hi, I was thinking about that too. I’m not sure how soon I could get it arranged though and whether it’d all be ready in time for half term. I understand more now. It wouldn’t matter which days I had off, as long as I had some time to visit my partner as he doesn’t drive. I’ve seen so many jobs in the area - I am also in the Midlands (Wolverhampton) - most say they require 2 years experience, so I think it’ll be tricky to find the ‘ideal’ place to work at first.

On average I work 50 hours a week for 26k. Your scenario sounds much nicer to me! I was also thinking about getting the crane certificate and ADR, but they’ll all come with time I think. Would you recommend signing up to a few agencies or just stick to one at first?

Thank you for your reply and your advice.

Matt87:
I went into it because I enjoy driving, always have done.

First job the hours were Mon-Fri 5.45 to 5.45 and now my hours are generally 6.45-16.30 until Friday which is 6-13.30 weekends off.

So many jobs out there that not 1 single person could give you the answers.

With your qualifications I’d personally search about a bit first but that’s up to you entirely. DO NOT go through a broker though they’re a rip off. Each school should price match and offer some kind of help with payment as in plans etc.

Good luck.

Hi, thank you for your reply. I’ve seen there are so many options available with different conditions, I think the best way is to try agency work for a bit to see what is out there in my local area. Thanks for the advice about the broker, I just need to see if my local school will do a monthly option and I’ll be booking myself in!

animal:
1st avoid brokers go visit the provider you wish to train with depends where you live you maybe a teacher but I don’t have crystal balls ( or ball for that matter yes I am a driver 1st female yes ) I do nights out without a problem have done for many years you just have to think outside the box a bit

I go all over uk never done multi drop work so cant answer any of those questions not done a lot of cat C work either although if you want to be home every night you could look into driving for Biffa or others are available ( collecting recycle mainly from business not household )

Hi, thanks for the advice about the brokers - a few other people have said that too. I’m based in the West Midlands. Thanks for your advice about driving for Biffa - I’ll look into that. There seems to be plenty of different jobs in this area, but I think the best way is to try a few different things with an agency and then settle with what I like. Thanks again.

mark1284:
What i would do is get the licence and do angency work in the school hols… 6 week hols coming up :slight_smile: then you can decide if its for you or not. Im on class 1 doing days mon-fri with the odd Saturday if i want it. Avg 60hr week. Start/finish times vary usally 5am ish and finish around 1600. I have been known to start as early as 0130 but normally done by noon

Hi, that’s the plan! I’m going to get my licence and then try some class 2 jobs though an agency during the holidays. I could then maybe progress to class 1 in time. Thanks for your reply and advice!

Hayley293:

matto75:

Good luck.

Hi, I was thinking about that too. I’m not sure how soon I could get it arranged though and whether it’d all be ready in time for half term. I understand more now. It wouldn’t matter which days I had off, as long as I had some time to visit my partner as he doesn’t drive. I’ve seen so many jobs in the area - I am also in the Midlands (Wolverhampton) - most say they require 2 years experience, so I think it’ll be tricky to find the ‘ideal’ place to work at first. On average I work 50 hours a week for 26k. Your scenario sounds much nicer to me! I was also thinking about getting the crane certificate and ADR, but they’ll all come with time I think. Would you recommend signing up to a few agencies or just stick to one at first? Thank you for your reply and your advice.

Sign up to as many agencies as you can, this way they’re working for you rather than the other way round. You can be upfront about this too, you don’t want to be a bum on a seat, rather you’re after the best possible shifts/contracts for your circumstances.

Most agencies will have access to one or two companies that will accept newbies. By signing on to multiple agencies hopefully you’ll get to know all the places you can work in the next two years. After that the world (or at least Wolverhampton) is your oyster. Don’t worry about HIAB/ADR yet, get some experience under your belt first.

Don’t worry too much about the two year experience thing. I am male but don’t consider gender to be an issue.
I retired as a police officer, got my licenses and did agency for a few weeks. I then got taken on for the first permanent job I applied for. It wasn’t ideal but I stuck at it for six months then looked around for something better. I now drive a fuel tanker for a fairly good wage.
Remember that driving a lorry is relatively easy. With your professional background you are very employable.
Good luck.

I’m answering this as a woman that used to drive UK and Europe but only a mere van or 7.5, but then went on to run a haulage business for 28 years and about to retire (in 6 days :smiley: ).

Hayley293:
I have been looking into getting a category C licence during the 6 weeks holidays with a local company and then hoping to find work before September. I’ve also seen adverts on job sites that advertise to train you and find you work, then take monthly repayments when you’re employed - but I worry I’d be treated badly by them!

You won’t hear a bad word about the sponsor of this board, Peter Smythe. As said before, avoid that type of broker.

I have a few Qs if you professionals wouldn’t mind helping me?

1. Will the licence training teach me about loading/unloading and theory test content? The training I have seen is 4 days and then a test on the 5th day, it also includes the CPC part (which I don’t really understand too well).

We always send new drivers out with another driver for a few days anyway. They learn the peculiarities of our job and get to learn about the company from the drivers and they learn about if you would be a good fit in the company

1. Is the CPC 35 hours training classroom based or driving based / how does it work? I am completely confused about this… If someone could explain it, that would be great.

You could look at doing somethin like ADR (license to carry hazardous goods), which would give you at least 21 hours towards your DCPC and a string to your bow

1. What are the hours like? I am hoping to be able to work days and be home for the evenings. My partner lives an hour away so I’d need a weekend or two consecutive days off to visit him like I currently do. I also wouldn’t be able to spend nights away. Is that possible?

Varies so much. We do Euro work and UK work, so our type of firm is no good. There are places that do shorter hours, but it’s usually long hours.

1. How do multi drop jobs work? Do you drive long distances between drops, or is it more like local deliveries a few mins apart? Is multi drop work better or long distances (in your opinion)?

2. Are there many facilities for females? Also, would I be looked at as incompetent being a woman by other drivers/companies (be honest!)?

Facilites, you mean loos? About the same as for men - I never had a problem particularly, though nighting out in the middle of nowhere wasn’t always fun :blush: . Close encounters with gorse spring to mind… :laughing: Before driving, I was a forkie, so I’ve been around drivers my entire life. Occasionally you come across a dinosaur, but I always reckon that haulage is one of the least sexist jobs, less so than big office based firms that pay a lot of lip service. As long as you can do the job and don’t every play the little woman card, you’ll be treat as another driver. Banter is often part of the job, but my opinion has always been to laugh along as 99% of the time it’s not meant nastily, just passing the time.

1. What are agencies like? Am I best to go full time with a company or work with an agency? I have a mortgage so I’d need a regular guaranteed wage.

Well, I’d say full time, but as mentioned on another post, as a newbie you may struggle. It is not impossible to get a job as a new pass, I’ve given people jobs to people with a shiny freshly minted digi card, but being new makes it harder. One thing about agency is that it gives you a flavour of a number of firms.

1. What kinds of manoeuvres do you do on your test? I’ve read something about reversing into a bay, but what else is there?

2. Do you plan your own routes to deliveries or are you given them by the employer? Would I need to sit and work out where I’m going before I leave the depot?

I can only answer for us. Unless it’s a specialist load where I have to pre-advise various agencies, then I pretty much let my lads get on with it. I keep an eye on new people as our vehicles are tracked, but once I know they don’t plan Exeter to Glasgow via the M1, I’m not bothered.

1. What stresses you most about the job? As a teacher I have many stresses and lots of work to do when I get home. I am willing to give up the holidays to live a happier and less stressful life on road. What are the stresses of being a truck driver?

Thinking back, timed deliveries were a bit of a mare some days, other days not depending on how the traffic was. Grumpy forklift drivers. But generally I found it fairly easy. I found that the nicer I was, the better the reception from other workers was.

1. Last of all - would you recommend HGV driving as a career for me taking into consideration all of the above?

Difficult to say. My Dad was a truck driver so I knew a lot before I left school. I loved my time as a driver mostly. It can depend a lot on the firm you work for. If youa re still of a mind to do it, then do it. Worst that can happen is that in a year’s time you go back to teaching.

If you’ve got to this point… Thank you! Sorry it’s a long post.

Thank you in advance.

Hayley [emoji4]

Just to add that if you are doing 50 hours currently, plus potentially marking for a few hours in your own time then the amount of time you spend at work in a driving job won’t be much of a shock.

There are plenty of jobs on class 2 that work similar hours such as delivery to building sites, be it tippers, mixers, bricks etc, they all tend to work 7am to 5pm. Steel delivery would be another example, there are many more different niches etc