CPC Booking query

Hello all,

I’ve got my Category C provisional entitlement and have been on the .gov website and been able to book my CPC parts 1 and 1a (multiple choice and hazard perception) but there is no option to book the CPC Part 2 Case Studies? I was under the impression that as long as I have provisional Category C on my licence I should be able to book both CPC parts 1 and 2. Is that not the case?

It sounds like you passed your car test before 1997 which gives you grandfather rights. This means that you have a choice of two options to get your initial CPC. You can either do parts 2 and 4 which people who don’t have grandfather rights have to do, or sit in a classroom for 35 hours.

I had grandfather rights and chose to do parts 2 and 4, although most people will advise you not to do this as you can fail.

If you want to do parts 2 and 4, you will have to do part 2 first. To be able to select part 2 online you will need to phone DVLA to let them know that you want to go this route. However, once you do this there is no going back. Anyhow, it’s probably best not to go this route. If you find yourself unable to pass, you won’t then be able to be a lorry driver…at least professionally.

Ahh right I see now. Yes I did pass my car test before 1997.
I’ll have to decide what to do next then.
Thanks for the help.

If you’re pre 97 then I wouldn’t bother with the module 2 and 4 option as its a nightmare to get sorted. Stupid problems between DVLA and DVSA took me months to sort, just to be able to book part 2, then wait for a slot.

They keep saying they’ll sort it, but then they were supposed to be getting rid of Pearsons who run the theory tests and are equally as useless.

Personally I would do something like an ADR course if it’s CPC registered which gives you 4 of the 5 days of CPC credits, then you just need one more day such as tacho training and you gave your 5 years CPC (same as doing mod 2 and mod 4).

Also that gives you an extra qualification for roughly same price as 5 days CPC. I did my ADR with Peter Smythe (see banner at top) as they are CPC registered (very important to check that bit).

trevHCS:
If you’re pre 97 then I wouldn’t bother with the module 2 and 4 option as its a nightmare to get sorted. Stupid problems between DVLA and DVSA took me months to sort, just to be able to book part 2, then wait for a slot.

They keep saying they’ll sort it, but then they were supposed to be getting rid of Pearsons who run the theory tests and are equally as useless.

Personally I would do something like an ADR course if it’s CPC registered which gives you 4 of the 5 days of CPC credits, then you just need one more day such as tacho training and you gave your 5 years CPC (same as doing mod 2 and mod 4).

Also that gives you an extra qualification for roughly same price as 5 days CPC. I did my ADR with Peter Smythe (see banner at top) as they are CPC registered (very important to check that bit).

Thanks for the advice. I don’t want to be stuck waiting for DVLA/DVSA to sort their end out.

Hi,
I’m in the same situation. I have a pre-'97 car licence. I’m currently studying for Mod 1 but not booked it quite yet & have posted my provisional & tacho card applications today.
I’m new to professional driving & while I see the benefit of a CPC course (which can’t be failed) instead of Mod 2&4 I’m worried I’ll miss out on vital training as I’m new to professional driving.
Does anyone have an opinion that I’d learn more by doing 2&4?
Cheers!

I’m in the same boat too!

I’ve already done my Mod 2, but I am now thinking that doing the ADR (Tanks and Packs) training and then I think your driver training could possibly cover 1 or 2 days CPC too!

For me this route makes more sense as for a little extra outlay you get your CPC and ADR. :smiley:

Does anyone have an opinion that I’d learn more by doing 2&4?

It depends on where you go. If you can learn more by taking Mods 2 and 4, that’s very damming of the periodic training. And, in some cases, that’s perfectly fair - sadly. There is a huge amount of very poor, worthless, box ticking, periodic training. But some of us take pride in presenting courses that are educational and engaging.

Cost is around the same as a rule. You SHOULD learn a lot more with the periodic training provided you drop lucky and get good courses. But I also fully understand why folks go for Mods 2 and 4.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

By booking modules to get your CPC you will also be able to pick from a range of courses and, depending on location and availability, select stuff to suit your situation - potentially drivers hours / digi tachograph is useful for someone starting from scratch. I think I did one on load safety & vehicle checks too which to an old hand may be boring but good for others.

You might find this useful

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=160712

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

njl:
potentially drivers hours / digi tachograph is useful for someone starting from scratch. I think I did one on load safety & vehicle checks too which to an old hand may be boring but good for others.

Good to know there’s courses suited to newbies. Are all CPC courses classroom based or are there some practical ones?
I’ll definitely consider that instead of Mod2&4. I was originally keen to get ADR although all the jobs I’ve seen advertised ask for experience… Any ideas on the best route to get one without the other!
Cheers! :smiley:

The vast majority are classroom based, though some will have elements of practical as well. But some HIAB and ADR courses are also approved for cpc. Make sure that your chosen provider has the courses approved for cpc and that you will get the hours credited. Perfectly possible to take a course and gain zero hours so it’s up to you to check.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

JenS:

njl:
potentially drivers hours / digi tachograph is useful for someone starting from scratch. I think I did one on load safety & vehicle checks too which to an old hand may be boring but good for others.

Good to know there’s courses suited to newbies. Are all CPC courses classroom based or are there some practical ones?
I’ll definitely consider that instead of Mod2&4. I was originally keen to get ADR although all the jobs I’ve seen advertised ask for experience… Any ideas on the best route to get one without the other!
Cheers! :smiley:

You can use the Japut website to see what courses are registered, but some may be only open to employees. jaupt.org.uk/

I’m not an ADR driver but as you hint already I think many of them will be after experience too. No firm wants their load dropped over the carriageway, but the mess can be a lot more of a cleanup for an ADR load so letting a newbie out without some decent driving history would call for a lot of faith in them. For general driving experience on rigid look for a Booker, Brakes or other food delivery, it’s not easy work but if you are fit enough to do the handball the pay can be fair.

You can use the Japut website to see what courses are registered, but some may be only open to employees. jaupt.org.uk/

Without a doubt, that’s a really good start. But you still need to contact the provider as they may well provide eg an ADR course with cpc that doesn’t show on the JAUPT website. This will be where the course may be run via a consortium. In fact, that’s the way our ADR runs. Perfectly legit, just saves us a lot of paperwork!

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

njl:

Peter Smythe:
Without a doubt, that’s a really good start. But you still need to contact the provider as they may well provide eg an ADR course with cpc that doesn’t show on the JAUPT website. This will be where the course may be run via a consortium. In fact, that’s the way our ADR runs. Perfectly legit, just saves us a lot of paperwork!
All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

All really useful thanks! More or less decided to do CPC now instead of Mod 2&4. Just need to check available courses & weigh up cost difference. Also need to wait as my driving licence is away with my D2, D4 & tacho card application atm :smiley:
Cheers!

Peter, do you offer just Mod4 at your place? I’ve seen the course you do for 2 and 4 combined but can’t see one for just 4. If so what’s the cost for training and test, and can it be done all on the same day? And finally is it possible to do it on a Saturday?
Thanks.

Hi. Mod 4 training and test is £270 after Trucknet discount. We don’t normally do this on a Saturday but it’s worth a call to discuss the options. 01623 555661.

Hope this helps, Pete :laughing: :laughing: