Sat Navs

Hello all
I could do with some help regarding Satnavs

I have two the first is a truck nav (claims to be developed by a HGV driver). I have to say this one has never ever let me down in a car or a truck, and is extremely easy to follow directions with.

Recently I spent about 350 quid on a Tom Tom go pro 6200. It has live traffic updates and redirects your route if there are any roads shut etc.

I have been using this on my car having set it up as if I am a 44 ton artic, and it has actually taken me down very unsuitable roads and once took me to a low bridge which I wouldn’t have been able to get under if I was a truck.

What I want to know is what have am I doing wrong ? is it set up wrong or something? Does anyone here use the Tom Tom go pro 6200 ?

I really think the live traffic thing would be really useful if I could get this sat nav functioning properly.

Regards.

When setting the parameters for the truck setting make sure that they are saved and make sure that you have selected the correct vehicle type .
It may sound obvious but it can be overlooked ( don’t ask how I know )
Failing that it might be a software glitch .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

What I do find with tomtom truck is any weight limit ‘except for access’ near your destination tend to be treated as not suitable so can try to use a residential side street to avoid. Otherwise generally it’s not let me down but I tend to be running pretty low most of the time so few bridges are an issue. When set for a truck it should offer up the weight and dimensions screen before starting navigating so you can adjust to suit. On the odd occasion I have used in the car it’s easy to forget to switch back to truck. The assessment of side street width / length suitability can be hit and miss.

grumpyken52:
When setting the parameters for the truck setting make sure that they are saved and make sure that you have selected the correct vehicle type .
It may sound obvious but it can be overlooked ( don’t ask how I know )
Failing that it might be a software glitch .

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thankyou Grumpy Ken I shall look into this.

njl:
What I do find with tomtom truck is any weight limit ‘except for access’ near your destination tend to be treated as not suitable so can try to use a residential side street to avoid. Otherwise generally it’s not let me down but I tend to be running pretty low most of the time so few bridges are an issue. When set for a truck it should offer up the weight and dimensions screen before starting navigating so you can adjust to suit. On the odd occasion I have used in the car it’s easy to forget to switch back to truck. The assessment of side street width / length suitability can be hit and miss.

Thanks for the advice.

It is very easy to have it selected in wrong mode if you’ve tweaked it. When you get to final screen it should show sizes, weight limits etc and say “truck” in top right.

Not had mine head for low bridges, but theres no central database of them so there will unknown ones esp on minor roads. Do you know where it was? Personally i set the height slightly higher than reality.

As for unsuitable roads - all it sees is a road as theres no info about widths etc available to the map makers, so on occasions they’ll try to send you down undoable ones. Ultimately its upto you to decide what’s suitable.

I had the 6200 only kept it a day, it’s one more thing to drag around with you.

I now use copilot truck on my iPhone. 10 a month and really good, easy to use. It’s on your phone as well, so nothing extra to drag around. Can be a pita if people keep ringing you tho

Tseal:
Hello all

I have two the first is a truck nav (claims to be developed by a HGV driver). I have to say this one has never ever let me down in a car or a truck, and is extremely easy to follow directions with.

Recently I spent about 350 quid on a Tom Tom go pro 6200. It has live traffic updates and redirects your route if there are any roads shut etc.

I have been using this on my car having set it up as if I am a 44 ton artic, and it has actually taken me down very unsuitable roads and once took me to a low bridge which I wouldn’t have been able to get under if I was a truck.

What I want to know is what have am I doing wrong ? is it set up wrong or something? Does anyone here use the Tom Tom go pro 6200 ?

I really think the live traffic thing would be really useful if I could get this sat nav functioning properly.

Regards.

Which low bridge did it attempt to route you under? Which unsuitable roads did it suggest you use (and where were you routing to/from?).Nothing is infallible, but TBH the TomTom truck routing is if anything over-conservative; If there’s a Motorway or trunk road it’ll always take that option even if it means driving a few miles further. I’ve been using TomTom truck devices for several years and can honestly say they have never given me a route under a bridge that was too low for what I had set in the vehicle dimensions.

Roymondo:

Tseal:
Hello all

Regards.

Which low bridge did it attempt to route you under? Which unsuitable roads did it suggest you use (and where were you routing to/from?).Nothing is infallible, but TBH the TomTom truck routing is if anything over-conservative; If there’s a Motorway or trunk road it’ll always take that option even if it means driving a few miles further. I’ve been using TomTom truck devices for several years and can honestly say they have never given me a route under a bridge that was too low for what I had set in the vehicle dimensions.

The bridge is on Hood lane which is just off Newlands Rd which is a short distance from Cloughton (which the A171 passes through) near Scarborough, in North Yorkshire.

The road it wanted me to turn my imaginary artic around (as Hood lane is dead end) was someones drive way near the beginning of the lane.

johnteller:
I had the 6200 only kept it a day, it’s one more thing to drag around with you.

I now use copilot truck on my iPhone. 10 a month and really good, easy to use. It’s on your phone as well, so nothing extra to drag around. Can be a pita if people keep ringing you tho

I think I will stick with my Tom Tom as I like sat navs.

trevHCS:
It is very easy to have it selected in wring mode if you’ve tweaked it. When you get to final screen it should show sizes, weight limits etc and say “truck” in top right.

Not had mine head for low bridges, but theres no central database of them so there will unknown ones esp on minor roads. Do you know where it was? Personally i set the height slightly higher than reality.

As for unsuitable roads - all it sees is a road as theres no info about widths etc available to the map makers, so on occasions they’ll try to send you down undoable ones. Ultimately its upto you to decide what’s suitable.

Whats wring mode ?

At a guess, auto-corrected mis-spelling of “wrong” :wink:

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Tseal:
The bridge is on Hood lane which is just off Newlands Rd which is a short distance from Cloughton (which the A171 passes through) near Scarborough, in North Yorkshire.

The road it wanted me to turn my imaginary artic around (as Hood lane is dead end) was someones drive way near the beginning of the lane.

I’ve had a look and yes, that height restriction doesn’t appear in TomTom’s mapping, and it would be better if it said “no route possible” or similar. But to be fair, the road in question only runs for less than 200 yards past the bridge in question before it peters out into a dirt track/fields.

So no, I don’t think you are doing anything wrong - it’s just that TomTom (understandably!) haven’t got that particular bridge on their radar…

Roymondo:

Tseal:

I’ve had a look and yes, that height restriction doesn’t appear in TomTom’s mapping, and it would be better if it said “no route possible” or similar. But to be fair, the road in question only runs for less than 200 yards past the bridge in question before it peters out into a dirt track/fields.

So no, I don’t think you are doing anything wrong - it’s just that TomTom (understandably!) haven’t got that particular bridge on their radar…

I think I should point out I intentionally took a wrong turn, a diversion away from where I was heading just to see how my Tom Tom 6200 would handle it.

My other cheaper sat nav wouldn’t have taken me down there I doubt. It would probably take me on a much longer but practical route for a large vehicles that led back onto the a171.

So it didn’t actually try to route you under the bridge? It gave you a route (presumably via the A171), you chose to divert along Newlands Road and it tried to get you to turn around by going into Hood Lane and using one of the driveways on that lane (before the bridge). You continued along Hood Lane (despite the warnings of 10’ 9" height restriction) and past the unsuitable turning point. If you had been in a lorry, at what point would you have decided to stop and check exactly what you were driving into…?

Roymondo:
So it didn’t actually try to route you under the bridge? It gave you a route (presumably via the A171), you chose to divert along Newlands Road and it tried to get you to turn around by going into Hood Lane and using one of the driveways on that lane (before the bridge). You continued along Hood Lane (despite the warnings of 10’ 9" height restriction) and past the unsuitable turning point. If you had been in a lorry, at what point would you have decided to stop and check exactly what you were driving into…?

My point is it didn’t warn me of a oncoming bridge down the lane and the option to turn around was in somebodies drive .

I deliberately took a diversion to test the sat nav.

If I had been in a lorry and faithfully assumed Hood lane would get me back onto the A171 (despite it being very narrow) I would have been in a right mess.

Tseal:
If I had been in a lorry and faithfully assumed Hood lane would get me back onto the A171 (despite it being very narrow) I would have been in a right mess.

The fact that you think like this speaks volumes regarding todays mindset of (for want of a better word) “drivers”

If you follow a satnav faithfully (I read blindly) despite the real world telling you different (ie - “despite it being very narrow”) then what other outcome would you expect than “being in a right mess”

Satnavs are not and never have been the problem regarding unsuitable route taking, but they may in part at least be to blame for helping the less astute “reach their destination”, albeit stuck under a bridge or in a muddy field… :neutral_face:

Tseal:
My point is it didn’t warn me of a oncoming bridge down the lane and the option to turn around was in somebodies drive

Its job isn’t to warn you of bridges, but to find what appears in its maps as a suitable route. Theres no “low bridge ahead” warning signs that flash up.

As mentioned earlier, it doesn’t know one road from another in terms of size, so like all these units it figures it from the type of road and makes an educated guess.

If it told you to turn round then it figured there wasn’t a way through as its very rare for Tomtom’s at least to do that. I had a Garmin fitted to a truck at one time which regularly did that (kindof hard in a 40 foot artic).

They do odd things from time to time like on the way to our Bradford depot, it tells me to go down a tiny back street packed with cars (no room even for a van). Eyeball v1 says no way and carries on until it figures a better option.

One thing to watch with Tomtom is it can switch to car routes if theres no HGV option, although it will tell you.

trevHCS:
One thing to watch with Tomtom is it can switch to car routes if theres no HGV option, although it will tell you.

Not sure that’s the case nowadays. I did have a TomTom truck unit (7000 I think) that did this, but I don’t think it has been so for the past couple of generations.

Uh oh! I got the TomTom 6200 Pro…