Checking driving time on analogue tacho?

Using an analogue tacho for only my second time (first was a short journey).

I’ve stopped early to be safe but was wondering how I’d go about checking driving time?

If I take out disc surely it’ll be scribbles like an ecg, so how would one add up all the minutes from stop/start driving? Also, how would I get it to restart from where it left off?

Buy a cooker timer from any kitchen shop, they cost about a tenner.
Set the timer for 4.30 hours, on a countdown until you need a tacho break, but do not forget WTD regulations,whichever comes first.
Set the timer for a nine or ten hour drive, depending which one you need.
If you are stuck in a traffic jam, depending on what tachograph machine, it will add on minutes when stationary or stop and go movements, so keep the kitchen timer running.

Just make a note on a notepad. Its what I do.

Start and finish times, break times etc.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

When I was using analogue tachos I always used the vehicles own trip/journey timer.

As the previous answers say its easiest to keep a close check on what youre doing as you go along. As said if there is a trip meter, your driving must be equal or less than the trip time. I used a cheap stopwatch, 3 or 4 quid on eBay.Guess you could use a mobile phone but it may not be good if youre seen playing with that whilst at the wheel. Stop/start driving will show pretty much as continuous driving on the disc. You can remove the disc to examine it, the tacho will keep turning, so when you reinsert it there will be a blank section. There will also be a "tick" showing when the tacho head was opened and closed. The authorities wont be too happy if you keep opening and closing the head, and may suspect a fiddle going on, so its best to try and avoid. As said keep a running total. [ebay.co.uk/p/Chart-Analyser ... 1557104759](https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Chart-Analyser-Office-Model-Tachograph-Product-tachodisc-Whdca1-Compliance-Aid/1557104759) These are useful if you going to be using that truck a lot. By spinning the cursor and disc you can get a good idea of how much driving youve done if you loose your place in the running total. Maybe someone on the main forum will have one they no longer need?

toby1234abc:
Buy a cooker timer from any kitchen shop, they cost about a tenner.
Set the timer for 4.30 hours, on a countdown until you need a tacho break, but do not forget WTD regulations,whichever comes first.
Set the timer for a nine or ten hour drive, depending which one you need.

But bear in mind when buying such a timer that you want one that can count down from at least 4.5 hours - many of them can only go up to 99 minutes…

I used to use a stopwatch. Start it when I’d start driving & stop when I stop.
■■■■ as near accurate as you can get.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Also, don’t take the chart out. It’s frowned upon.