New Driver Advice

Morning guys, apologies if this is in the wrong place, or if there is already a guide somewhere but I couldn’t find one.

I passed my C+E yesterday and am now looking for a job, I have a tachocard and cpc and when I did my C+E was told that would count towards the next five years so if I do one more day I’d have 10 years cpc?

Anyway back to reason for posting, I only passed my cat C a month ago so unfortunately don’t have experience and my knowledge of the sector is limited to what I’ve asked other drivers.

With that in mind, I’m looking for advice on companies that are good to work for, type of work that is good, and type of work/companies to avoid, I live in Calne which is between Chippenham and Swindon and so far have had A W Jenkisnons in Chippenham pointed out to me and B & Q apparently have a depot in Swindon, however I can’t find a way to apply for a job at B and Q?

Any help or guidance would be massively appreciated, again apologies if this is in the wrong place or there’s already a guide somewhere.

Callum

Try the wanna bees and newbees forum for more general advice. To get started its often got to be agency work. You could try any local skip or tipper firm in your area, they often take on new passes.

Try Home Bargains at Amesbury,massive RDC, or for away all week tramping Gregory at Shepton Mallet .
Arla at Westbury, they use Baileys in Melksham as ageny,and Skills Direct in Trowbridge, milk tankers or fridge work to stores.
Mole Valley Farmers in Calne, ask there, bulk feed blower work to farms or general pallet drops.
Deans bulk tippers in Salisbury.

Thanks guys, appreciate the helping hand, and thanks Rog!

Get in with an agency and use it to gain experience, you’ll get to know a variety of companies,vehicles, routes etc etc…
[emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I’ve heard very mixed things about agencies, how’s the guarantee of work? Also I really love driving the artics, how often would that be the case? Thanks

Sign up with every agency that will take you, then make them work for you; if they don’t find you the work you want, go to the agencies that do. Between them you’ll get your required experience & probably find the firms you want to work with (& the ones you don’t!!).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matto75:
Sign up with every agency that will take you, then make them work for you; if they don’t find you the work you want, go to the agencies that do. Between them you’ll get your required experience & probably find the firms you want to work with (& the ones you don’t!!).

Thanks, that’s really helpful, so you have some choice as to the work you take?

You’re effectively on a zero hours contract (if employed) so you can say yes or no to anything. In my experience, be honest, tell them you’re signed up to multiple agencies & will go to the best job offered. (Most agencies just want bums on seats anyway). Obvs if you keep saying no the phone stops ringing but hopefully you’re saying no because you’ve got a better offer.

When I passed my tests I picked up a yellow pages and rung all the local haulage firms in the area. I got as far as T on class two and was offered a job doing general curtansider stuff.

Passed class one . Got as far as C and two days later I was driving to the south of France. Sometimes it’s best just to use a bit of initiative pick up the phone and ring round.

Yeah makes sense, if someone constantly says no you wouldn’t keep trying, thanks, any particularly good agencies in Wiltshire you could recommend?

joe royal:
When I passed my tests I picked up a yellow pages and rung all the local haulage firms in the area. I got as far as T on class two and was offered a job doing general curtansider stuff.

Passed class one . Got as far as C and two days later I was driving to the south of France. Sometimes it’s best just to use a bit of initiative pick up the phone and ring round.

Yeah I have found that just ringing companies is much easier than trawling the Web.

CallumPerry:
Yeah makes sense, if someone constantly says no you wouldn’t keep trying, thanks, any particularly good agencies in Wiltshire you could recommend?

sorry, don’t know that area but I’m sure others here will be able to recommend some

Try some of the biggies in Swindon (DH, best connection, manpower, blue arrow) you get the idea. Truth is, in my area, it’s very quiet this year. Agency I spoke to about it blamed brexit. Good luck