Powder Tanker

After 23 years on buses Decided to do class 1. Started a Job on bulk powders. Just passed my class 1 in Feb got a job on Tankers theres a lot to take in not only in filling and emptying, but being newly qualified aswell, Especially reversing which is my weak point at the minute as some of them sylos are difficult to reverse in to. Even thou i have someone out with me from the company. I feel i am letting the company down and its just doing my head in, Just need some advice Thanks

starsounds123:
After 23 years on buses Decided to do class 1. Started a Job on bulk powders. Just passed my class 1 in Feb got a job on Tankers theres a lot to take in not only in filling and emptying, but being newly qualified aswell, Especially reversing which is my weak point at the minute as some of them sylos are difficult to reverse in to. Even thou i have someone out with me from the company. I feel i am letting the company down and its just doing my head in, Just need some advice Thanks

It will all fall into place with time.
Just like it did when you first started on the buses.

Dont worry about letting anyone down if you go out tip reload and come home without damaging anything no-one will care how long it takes to back into a silo.

Dosnt look good when he’s telling you left hand down right hand down. I need to get that trailer pointing where i want it on my own, Any tips would be greatly appreciated

starsounds123:
Dosnt look good when he’s telling you left hand down right hand down. I need to get that trailer pointing where i want it on my own, Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Got to say someone saying " left hand down , right hand down" is my No.1 pet hate when I’m trying to focus on the job in hand.
Although trying to be helpful it’s off putting

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Yeah it is, But he;s done it for 30+ years. Me its my 2nd week

Give yourself as much room as you can.

Line up as straight as possible with the “target”.

Keep steering input to a minimum.

Ask your mentor to leave you alone unless you’re going to hit something.

That really is the only way to learn and master the dark art of reversing.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tankers are a job that you do not rush, ever.

So long as you take the right product to the right customer, blow it into the right silo at the right pressures (taking special care not to allow free air to go in, your training chap will have explained), leaving the customer happy and a clean and tidy tipping point, and get the lorry back all in one piece then you are doing fine.

Damage is a big no no, when on your own do not keep reversing on pure guesswork how far you are from the silo/railings/gantry…watch out for gantries walkways and overhead obstruction…if you get a few yards from where you want to be, get out walk to the back, and pace out how far you need to go back safely, then pace the same distance from your front wheel to a point on the ground and you are safe reversing back to that point…that is also how you position yourself under a hopper/silo when loading, pace it out.

Yes there is lots to take in, but that would have been just the same if you’d been driving lorries 20 years, there is always a lot to take in on a job like this, just take your time, there are no prizes for beating the depot tear arse, concentrate on being damage free and double check everything and you will be fine.

I’ll give you a couple of good tips, when finished blowing, depending on how noisy the exhaust vent is, you may want to pack away before fully venting the tank…yes ok you may not be supposed to do this but almost everyone does…so always open the vent a little so you will hear the vent hissing on the final walk around and you won’t forget to de-pressurise before buggering off…driving off with a pressurised tank is a big no no and all hell will break loose if you turn up back at the yard with a tank full of compressed air.
And always walk around the outfit a couple of times double checking everything, wound up stabilizers if applicable and put all your kit in the tool box, don’t forget the unit to tank connections (easily missed in the dark) and do not forget to lock the customers silo when finished.

I love it, one of the last lorry jobs you are still allowed to take a pride in your work.

YES ,STARSOUNDS123all very good adivice you have been given however no one has mentioned clipping the ant static cord to your trailer if they still use them■■?

Just let the trainer train you yes you will want to scream and tell him to f–k off etc leave me alone I can do it you will have years of doing it your self just give him the time ,

I find encourage him, ask questions all the time ,what if this or that happens ,what if there silo is full after you start blowing, show him you on top of it. relax ,don’t forget he wants to do the job as that’s what hes been doing… do the sterring the proper way…

you will be fine if a ex driver like me could and did master the powder tank on European for smit,no training, any one can do it but asking is the key,but the stepping the distance out from the rear ,when going back drop a glove on the floor that will give you when to stop reversing v,

and if pou have to go under silos with a timer shunt for each tank lid, do the same step it out on the tank top first between the open lids count the steps the go to the floor and do the same dbp.

thanks some good tips, starting to get the hang on this reversing, Another problem is the long hours i mean 15hr days with only 9 off. Monday to Fri. i am absolutely knackered, getting in at 9 to get up at 4.30 to start at 6, B y the time i get to bed its 10

HAA long hours,[what] welcome to the real world of driving ,after your 15 hour day you also had to wash the tank out have you had that pleasure yet…im sure you are getting to relise the job in the 1980s1990s was not what it seems, lots of bull, lots of men doing as they please esp owner drivers also company men me included …no matter how nice the boss is they want you to earn for them and once you get it ,[its not your truck] its theirs ,and it has got to earn money ,and you are their money earner ,its true all flash no cash.

i bet if you go to the Peterbrough truck show and see hundreds of painted up flash trucks ,[not owner drivers different kettle of fish] they have to be paid for and it will not earn on a 10 hour day…all drivers polishing the trucks that ARE NOT THEIRS IT MAKES ME WONDER WHY. showing off, and done sweet f—k all, I bet you wont droll over trucks now you know the truth…but do not give up ,after you have to have cleaned inside your tank, with your wellies off bare foot then told to do it again before you get the clean certificate for reloading ,then you know its time to go to another job…but that was the old day…dbp.