Training schemes

Read in the local news paper that the job centre in Redditch Worcestershire is asking for 15 to 20 (unemployed and in receipt of universal benefit) people to apply for training for HGV licenses. I wonder if this is a nationwide scheme. No other info. given.

Don’t tell me any more :imp:

I heard that also the if on UC the JC may fund your training.

I feel that this would be a massive waste if our hard earned tax!! I have just passed my class 2 and I struggled with my young family and worked a horrible job working every hour under the sun to get my licence if we just hand them out willy nilly I can’t see how this would work!! you can’t import a work ethic into people by public funding its an insult to all the people like myself who have worked hard and struggled to get our licence rather than using hand outs!! Peace out!!

The Job Centre should require potential trainees to do the first stages themselves including financing, ie. pass an HGV medical, obtain a provisional HGV licence, pass mods 1a, 1b, and 2. Only then should funding be made available, and even then maybe only after passing an HGV driving assessment.

Job centres definitely pay for this as I have a mate that took advantage of the offer in Cheshire, personally I don’t agree with it but you can’t blame those that take up the offer.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

carlston49:
The Job Centre should require potential trainees to do the first stages themselves including financing, ie. pass an HGV medical, obtain a provisional HGV licence, pass mods 1a, 1b, and 2. Only then should funding be made available, and even then maybe only after passing an HGV driving assessment.

Yes agreed mate it would show that they are determined to get there licence and really want it not just because it’s on offer and stops them from looking for work for a few weeks

Before anyone chimes in, I paid for both of mine.

That being said, I am in favour of it… but! Every penny should be paid back. If it’s a handout, absolutely NO!

Work the ■■■■ job and pay for it yourself, it’s what most of us have done. If you are unemployed and WANT to train, interest free loans should be available.

My brother got his cat c through our local jobcentre, and he paid 20 a month while on benefits, 50 a month when employed until it was paid back. He had to pay for the provisional, theory and the little bits himself.

Giving it away as a handout is plain wrong! And it devalues the license. As for making it a condition of your benefits and forcing people to do it… don’t get me started!